What would be different in the car market if Ferrari never existed? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What would be different in the car market if Ferrari never existed?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ekasilicon, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    I had no chance to buy a TC then, but it was what I looked for. I agree, much better car with better engine and more refined than the S2, which really was built like a kit-car. Even with all the issues of the S2, I think I only spent about $400 on repairs, doing my own work, and as you stated, back then it would leave just about anything in the corners.

2. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

More info please on this mag and article. From what ive read not to many details out yet about the next esprit. Obviously this must be a computer rendition but any facts in the article?

3. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

4. Corsa

Corsa Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Alfa Romeo would be number one.
    Maserati number two.
    No lambos except tractors...

Ciao
    Peter

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I've found Lotus Esprit owners to be analytical, fair and tough critics.
    http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EBuying/which.html
    Esprit Reliability on a scale of 1-10
    4 cyls.:
    Giugiaro (G Car) - original design
    2 = S1: 76-77
    3 = S2: 76-77 | JPS: 78-79 | S2.2: 80-81
    4 = Essex (1st turbo): 80-81
    5 = Turbo: 80-87
    6 = S3: 81-87
    7 = Turbo HC: ? 86-87

Stevens (S Car) - softer lines
    6 = Turbo: 87-90 | SE: 89-92 | SE highwing: 92-93 | Sport 300: 93 | S4: 93-96
    7 = NA: 87-89 | S4S: 95-96

8 cyls.:
    5 = V8: 96-98
    8 = GT3: 96-98 | V8-GT: 98-01 | V8-SE: 98-01 | Sport 350: 99 | V8 2002: 2002+

*Dusts hands* What was the subject again?

6. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

7. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Hey no, newsflash, you are the moron. The Elise was not even close of being ahead of time. It was slow, and it wasn't even spectacular looking. I don't turn my head when I see a lotus, why bother?

8. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Most likely Lambo would not have been here if there was no Ferrari. And what is it with people and the word slow? Its all relative, the Elise is not all about speed. Jeez lets not get into that here, wrong topic.

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Grow up and Learn to respect other cars. Esprits can hang with the best and Elise is considered one of the best handling cars ever.

10. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    An Elise is a Europa with HP. I like the Europa body better, but I'd rather have an Elise. I think.

To me a Ferrari is a compromise between Lamborghini and Lotus. They have much more luxury than a Lotus and handle way better than a Lamborghini. A Lambo is quicker and more wild to look at; a Lotus handles better (and some Esprits are amazingly quick too). I would think a 360 is easiest to live with, the Lotus (Esprit) the hardest. That's why I like Ferraris: they're a liveable road car with a racing heritage.

Ken

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Always those that own NOTHING, have alot to say. I was talking about the Esprit, not the Elise.

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I would sure like to know where you came up with this info. First off, id love for you to show which Ferrari's have more luxury than an Esprit, which Ferrari handles better than a Lambo, and how a 360 is easier to live with than an Esprit?

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Haha, i guess that all Ferraris in the corresponding catagories would recieve all 10's right? Please... Get real. Ferraris from 76-89 are all bullitproof right? LOL

I have a 2000 Esprit, which has been trouble free. I would rate it a 10. According to the poll everyone rated it an 8. Not bad.

14. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    Everything stated thus far is pure speculation. I'm stepping into my time machine right now to obtain the correct answer. Will report back findings at some future date, i.e., unless I like it better in the past--then I'm staying...

15. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Well...I was talking about impressions. I am under the impression the 360 has a lot more do-dads and the Esprit is more spartan. The ride of the 360 is less race-like; more comfy. The Esprit is much tighter and thus not a great car for long trips. You can disagree all you want. I love long trips in my Europa but it's NOT comfy; just fun.

ALL Ferraris handle better than a Diablo, Mucialgo or Gallardo. Let's not open THAT can of worms!! LOL

In YOUR words, reliability is not a strong suit of Lotus. The 360 in general will be in the shop less. So will a Lambo.

Ken

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ken you must be smoking crack. The interior of the Modena is no more plush than that of an Esprit. Both are comfy. I drove my Esprit from Atlanta to Arizona in 24 hours straight.. no problems.

Never have the words come out of my mouth that the Lotus is unreliable. Mine has been flawless.

Ferraris dont hold a candle to any of the Lambos, in any area, barring the f40,f50 and Enzo.

17. Esprit

Esprit Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CA
    Allan is right. The Esprit has a very nice interior. My old 90SE Esprit had leather plastered everywhere possible and my 2000V8 Esprit is excellent.

The Esprit is an amazing exotic. It has been extremely reliable and amazingly fun to drive. My 2003 NSX is a fabulous car too but it's no Esprit. The NSX is a total daily driver and makes going to work so much fun but the Esprit is the greatest weekend car with more extreme exoticness(not sure if that's a word). If you havn't owned one, please don't talk trash. It is simply amazing! I am saving up to purchase the 2006 Esprit. It's either the Acura HSC or the 2006 Esprit. We'll see.....

EG

18. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Ken you must be smoking crack.

Naw, maybe a little hash oil at times.

I drove my Esprit from Atlanta to Arizona in 24 hours straight..

Loafing it huh? Shoulda used the Lambo.

Ferraris dont hold a candle to any of the Lambos, in any area, barring the f40,f50 and Enzo.

Oh, the 246 is way cooler than any Lambo bar the Miura. Oops, that's a Dino. No matter; the Gallardo is an Audi.

Ken

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    From Allan:

Never have the words come out of my mouth that the Lotus is unreliable. Mine has been flawless.

Yes, I stand corrected. You were speaking of your Lambo and I mistook it for your Lotus. My bad. Nevertheless, anyone arguing, IN GENERAL, that a Lotus is as reliable as a Ferrari has a tough argument. And I'm a Lotus guy.

Ken

20. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I think the racing world would be the most impacted

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Allan - my post was misinterpreted, on your end. I wouldn't discount your "10" for your Esprit. The post wasn't criticizing Lotus - rather, showing the good and bad of one and all to one and all - from Lotus owners - hence the first link provided. There are some on this board who provided early "arguments" who apparently think that the Esprit never upgraded. As presented, the list simply shows improvement through the years/model upgrades. Counterpoint: Your complaint with Ferrari is that it is not improving over the years.

To that end, I prefer older, front-engined, 12-cyl. Ferraris - breathtaking.
    When the engine's in the back, I also prefer older designs like the 246GTB and Boxers. In the modern era, I happen to agree with the Ferrari philosophy of "baby steps" in terms of speed being incrementally increased with each subsequent road-going model within an 8 or 12-cyl. range, as it is part and parcel of what Ferrari was up to "back in the day."

I don't question Lamborghi performance - the only modern Lambo's I can "live with" would have to be gray or black, though. Flamboyant colors just kill it for me - makes it look like an overdressed hooker. Oh, we know you can and will put out, honey - you don't need to advertise.

Porsche - we have similar tastes in what specific models are of interest, though obviously, your quest for additional horsepower is far greater than mine - let alone your hands-on experience or ownership history. Online a few weeks ago, I saw the ride you're interested in emulating. If and when you do it - Let me the first to congratulate you. It's part of your vision of what cars mean to you.

When it comes to modern era, there has never been a car I wanted to see a serious upgrade to more than the Lotus Esprit. In terms of 4 cyls. - S4s was the answer to a prayer back when I prayed once in a while. I was on a high when the V8 came out, along with each upgrade - and am on a sky-high natural high today with this good news. However, that doesn't change my opinion that Ferrari/owner/chatter-bashing on a Ferrari board is unnecessary. On the upside, some of the aforementioned similarities once again show that we have more in common than you may have previously realized. I've known for a long time we like some of the same cars.

Did I mention that an Esprit is 10X the car NSX is?

22. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Thomas Magnum would have driven a 928 and been cancelled after 8 episodes.

Christy Brinkley would have driven a Corvette, and Clark W. Griswold couldn't have cared less that she was on a cross-country trip of her own.

Sammy Hagar would have been able to drive 55 in his Mustang II.

See how much culture we would have been deprived of without Ferrari?

23. Esprit

Esprit Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CA
    "Did I mention that an Esprit is 10X the car NSX is?"

Wax-

I'm not too sure about your statement here. I own both cars and I would say overall, the Esprit is 1.5X the car NSX is. The .5 is for the exotic look, the emotions it gives you while driving, the style, and the quickness/handling. I would not say it is even 2X the car as I drive both all the time and they are close in many ways. The NSX is extremely reliable in every way. Oil changes every 7K miles and first service at 105,000 miles. My 90Esprit was worked on quite a bit and my 2000V8 has had some backfiring issues, timingbelt change at 25Kmiles and water leak issue (easy fix). My Esprit also had some heating issues on a long drive to LA once. I couldn't figure it out. The exhaust has also been replaced 3X. It kept cracking which is a common issue with V8 (purchase the sports exhaust). Here is a good link to some other V8 issues. Of course.... this is not true of all V8 Espirts.
    www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=66926&f=17&h=0

I love my '03 NSX and my '00 Esprit. Both are amazing cars in their own way.

EG

24. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think the first Lamborghinis came into being because Ferrucio Lamborghini, a wealthy Italian industrialist and Ferrari customer, was
    made to wait or otherwise rudely treated by the big man himself and then decided to build his own. Right?

I remember reading the first Road & Track road test of the Lambo 350 GT in the mid 1960's and thinking what an incredible car it was. If finding parts for a vintage Ferrari is hard, I just think about the present owners of those early Lambos.

25. eam3

eam3 Karting

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Ed Mendez
    Agreed.

What engine would John Cusack have used for the Big Regatta in One Crazy Summer? The Cadillac Hearse's engine?

The Gumball Rally would have been an easy win for the Cobra. Although technically, since the Cobra left way earlier than the Daytona and only arrived a few seconds before it, the Daytona is really the winner but I digress.

What would Sammy and Dean have been riding in dressed as priests in the Cannonball Run?

Crockett wouldn't have been chasing bad guys in his black Fer... oh wait, that was a Corvette, never mind :)