Whatever happened with the odometer rollback scandal? | FerrariChat

Whatever happened with the odometer rollback scandal?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This started with a LaFerrari in FL. I never really heard any more of it which is, I suppose good news for Ferrari. Now that they are a publicly held company, one would assume they would get out in front of news like this, for example saying that they have made it technically impossible to tamper with an odometer except in extraordinary circumstances. Is it still possible to manipulate mileage electronically?

2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I think winding back an electronic speedo so no one can tell is much easier than the old tumbler ones. I have heard of it happening at high end euro dealerships.

Rifledriver likes this.
  3. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    And I thought this thread was about plastic surgery

paulchua likes this.
  4. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Seems like it died out quickly. Ferrari seems to never have problems getting away with sketchy business practices.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Being able to change an electronic odometer is not only possible and legal it is required by law.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Why?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Your odometer breaks and I need to replace it. I am required to make it read the mileage I can best estimate was on the old one. In the old days we were suppose to put a label on the car someplace stating what the prior mileage was but that was a very long time ago.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, not a scandal. It turned out to be a normal practice to correct an odometer. Brian explained this when that first thread was posted.

Years ago it may have been easy to rollback an odometer to cheat a buyer. Today consider that all car dealerships record mileage at every service/recall, Car Fax and others record mileage for accidents/service/inspections/ etc., and some states, e.g. MA, record mileage at every yearly inspection.

With all that it's kind of hard to illegally turn back an odometer even 10,000 miles. :)

9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Brand new Euro/high end car does 40k miles in it's first 2 years. Doesn't go in for service. Doesn't need inspection for the first 2 years. Now sitting in the showroom with fresh service and inspection/cert of fitness, showing 5k miles. It happens. Different rules on first inspection country to country I'm sure. But It's only plug and play for a techno geek.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sure it happens, life ain't fair and some people cheat. Locks only keep honest people honest. No different than the old days, deal with honest reputable people and buy cars with good documentation.

Electronic instruments changed nothing but some people react to stupid headlines and think the sky is falling.

Tire Fryer likes this.
  11. blake

blake Rookie

Sep 24, 2011
    Wanted to bring back this thread as my experience in recent months looking for a used Ferrari California has been very educational...

Check out this article from 2019:

There Are 1.6M Cars With Illegal, Rolled-Back Odometers on US Roads, Carfax Says
    Source: https://www.thedrive.com/news/27676/there-are-1-6m-cars-with-illegal-rolled-back-odometers-on-us-roads-carfax-says

And we know that in 2019 there were 284.5M cars on the road in the US.
    Source: https://hedgescompany.com/automotive-market-research-statistics/auto-mailing-lists-and-marketing/

That is a little more than 1/2 of 1 percent of documented fraud... Now we can't be sure of the real fraud rate as owners can game the system by NOT doing maintenance at dealers that participate within the CARFAX model...

This is not limited to Ferrari, but of course will affect Ferrari SIGNIFICANTLY MORE due to the rarity and value of the marque. In my recent look online for a Ferrari California, I have found A BUNCH of cars with suspicious Carfax reports. Caveat emptor.

-Blake

12. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    I imagine any seasoned mechanic with the right tools could easily match ODOM reading with gear ELECT reading (I guess most modern cars have), and find out if any tempering occurred.
    Correct me if I am wrong. THX