What's a favorite food of yours that you struggle to find good examples of | FerrariChat

What's a favorite food of yours that you struggle to find good examples of

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by TeamF1Jr, Aug 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Average food is all around us. I supposed this is also dependent on where you live, but I have a bunch of favorites that I often try when I see them on the menu and 95 out of a 100 times I leave disappointed.

For example, I haven't had a good chili in probably ten years. Hot pretzels, I guess if you call Wetzel Pretzel and Auntie Anne's good pretzels, but I know there's more out there...somewhere. Pecan rolls, we used to have a Mom & Pop restaurant that blew my taste buds away in my youth, now many decades later still searching for something similar.

I think these small artisinal bake shops and youth movement type food trucks are getting us in the right direction, but there is still a ton of average food out there.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Good sushi is actually hard to come by once you try the good stuff and realize the rest is not worth it.

I struggle to find cities that have Ethiopian food let alone good Ethiopian food.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's funny you mention chilli. I was searching around yesterday for chilli in my area, but couldn't find anything.

4. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Well dang, Al!

Give me a call next time you are in town, and we'll go to Nile, on I-Drive!

5. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    Bread pudding. The best I have had is the Wilno Tavern in Ontario, Canada. Best Polish food for that matter. Have not had a good bread pudding in the Atlanta area yet.

Dave

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Have you tried D.C. for Ethiopian? I have been a couple of places there, and both were very good IMO. Admittedly, I'm not a connoisseur, but it was tasty to me...T

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Jason... Make your own. Look up Kyle's recipe in the What's For Dinner? thread. It's not much prep, apart from dicing chuck, and my wife and I have pretty much stopped eating anything else chili-wise...T

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I won't be back until Thanksgiving, but I'll let you know! Never heard of that place...good to know! :) I went to Umi for sushi in Winter Park last month...that place was great. I need to go there again.

Last two places I've been that are good are in DC and Chicago, but that's because they have a good population size to have places like that. :) I'm currently in the deep south so not much around here other than bbq, which is okay.

9. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Completely agree on bread pudding, not an easy find. Had about 4 different ones last month, all average, the worst was at Lucilles BBQ.

10. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LOL Tom!

But yesterday I was looking to get out of the house and drink a few beers with chilli. I settled for pizza. :D

11. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    The one that pops to mind is smoked brisket. Its everywhere, but rarely amazing.

Great tomatoes...same.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My "struggles"...

- good hole-in-the-wall TexMex outside Tejas
    - ditto for brisket
    - a good fish taco outside So Cal
    - good fried chicken outside the South
    - good gumbo outside of New Orleans
    - a good Mai Tai outside of Hawaii
    - good Italian that compares to grandma's, anywhere

But, I'm an optimist and I'll keep looking!

T

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Makes sense. Last time I was in Seattle, my cabbie was Ethiopian, and IIRC, he told me that Atlanta also had a relatively large Ethiopian community. So, maybe that's worth a look-see?
    T

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    too many things... comes of having lived in different countries and getting addicted to local specialties. I've have gotten to the point of frustrated tears at the poor quality of produce available locally ( I live in a small regional village).
    Crap sushi, crap tofu, very hard to buy whole fresh 1-person size fish; chickens are plumped up with water and it's hard to buy pieces with the bone in; rubbish bread unless you pay a fortune for 'artisanal', tasteless hydroponic tomatoes (although local Roma's are good); now you know why I was so tortured by the Italian deli pics in someone's travel pics recently.

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Serious lack of good breakfast spots and good Chinese in my area.

Bummer too!

16. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I think the last good tomatoes I had were years ago when Dad brought seeds home from England and grew them himself.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Amen! When I lived in Memphis, there was a little town up the road, called Ripley, that had great tomatoes. Limited time, only a small chunk of summer as I recall. In Texas, it'***** or mostly miss. There's a peach stand in the small town of Bowie and a small purveyor of grass-fed beef in a different small town that have good maters when they do happen to have them in stock, which is irregular.

While we're crabbing, I cannot recall the last time I had a cucumber that had any flavor!

T

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Pizza

There are a million pizza places around here, but almost none that have real pizza ovens and good fresh dough.

19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Thankfully, we have a couple local joints that make great pizza. The rest is crap!

20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just thought of one, stew, a hearty quality stew I can just walk in and order.

21. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Not enough goat dishes on menus.

22. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I have grown my own tomatoes but due to my very slow backyard renovation this year no garden. Next year will be epic though. :) I haven't been making the farmer's markets much either but at least around me there are quite a few small farms that grow really great heirloom tomatoes. Flavor like you remember, trust me. The heirloom ones in the mega grocery stores are not near as flavorful. One of my fondest childhood food memories, tomato salad with fresh bread to dip in the juice. We used to fight over who got more juice. :D

I'm pretty luck too as there are a couple really good local joints around me. Fresh dough, good ingredients and little local places. Da Best!! ;)

23. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh, and as for things I can't find, I was born in Buffalo and hot dogs and sub sammiches are two local specialties that I have never found replacements for. Luckily good hot-dogs can be had online....for a price that is. Subs not so lucky!!

24. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Zabaglione, my favorite dessert.

25. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My dad's favorite, although he never learned how to make it properly. One day, I finally had it in Italy in his honor. Not my favorite, but I agree, almost impossible to find outside Italy.