What's a good at rest heart rate? | FerrariChat

What's a good at rest heart rate?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by REMIX, Jun 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Right now, at 5:30pm, sitting on the couch and typing, I am at 53 bpm. What is considered healthy???

RMX

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Normal is 60 to 100, all depending on age and fitness. I'm sure you're fine :)

3. REMIX

At his peak, Lance Armstrong had a 32 bpm at rest heart rate.

RMX

4. REMIX

I followed most published advice and checked my resting rate the second I woke up. Took 2 readings, and I got 41bpm and 44bpm, respectively. This is on the level with most endurance athletes, even though I wouldn't classify myself as such.

RMX

5. speedy4500

speedy4500 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2004
    Last time I gave blood, the nurse clocked me at 51 bpm.

I've been told that heart-rate recovery is an even better determination of cardiovascular health. I've never really set out to determine my cardiovascular recovery rate, but apparently normal recovery rates are decreasing 15-25 beats each minute after exercise and more than 25 is considered top notch.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Hmmm...this says best time to measure it is after waking up, but before getting out of bed: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4701

I've never measured it then. I used the machine at the hospital yesterday to check mine when I was sitting around it was in the 75-80 range, but I was busy that day transporting patients around. :) BP was 121/74...

7. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I'm 60-65 sitting. Haven't checked RHR in years.

8. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    checked yesterday while shopping at Walmart and it was 47.

9. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Most reliable RHR is found upon waking up w.out any stimulation (e.g. alarm clock, etc) and w.minimal movement. Good, IMO, is at or below 60.

10. Emil

Emil Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Solihull
    Full Name:
    Emil Ahmed
    i've had mine as low as 53bpm when i was running 16/18 mile's per week,it's now around 70bpm