Whats a good touring 60s Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Whats a good touring 60s Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Arvin Grajau, Apr 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeaneG

DeaneG Karting

Jan 26, 2006
    SF bay area
    One thing about touring in a Carbie, you and yours will smell like fuel, oil, and leather upon arrival. I sold my wonderful car seven months ago, and my driving jacket and hat still have that (perma)fragrance.

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Nicest driving Sixties F-car, 330 GTC. I've driven several 330 GTC's and took care of an ex-Papadopoulos 365 GTC and I think the 330 is a better balanced car.

Sixties F-car that makes me swoon, 250 GT/L.

3. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Seymour/Malvin/Rob
    I have heard you called a Queen by many many people, so a Queen would be most appropriate ! There are 2 Queens on our drive in a few weeks. Have a drive of one, there will be some opportunity to do that. One will go down with us on the Friday and the other is coming over from SA. Not many sleeps to go now.
    John

4. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    yep.Kim's car would be ideal for me,sell the Spur and have money in the bank.Keep the old Jag for fun and lap dash runs.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #30 PSk, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
    Love these sorts of comments from those who have actually driven many road Ferraris and the mighty GTO.

The difference between a Lusso and say a 250 GTE 2+2 is the prettier body, lack of rear seats, and of course the addition of a watts link to the same rear axle. Pretty sure engine location is the same, as is otherwise the chassis (except for watts link mounts) ... also the Lusso would surely weigh a fair bit less? (which would affect the driving impression).

Thus those who go one about how oh so horrible GTE's are to drive, have either driven **** ones that need proper maintenance or simply found out that 60's Ferraris are not for them. Oh dear, some times reality does not live up to the hype after all :).

Best
    Pete

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Pete,

GTE engine was moved forward compared to GTL

Regards,

Art S.

7. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    nice article in SCM in my mailbox this afternoon.....

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    #33 Smiles, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Is that a C4 V's Daytona comparison or an article on the mighty C4? Is SCM Sports Car Monthly? What is their website as I Googled it and could not find the magazine website.
    Thanks
    John

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Learnt something, and yes that would make a difference ... but still believe that a GTE isn't a horrible driving experience for a 60's car. Maybe compared to modern cars it is, but then that is a silly comparison :).

Pete

11. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #36 365GTC/4, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
    I have chased a well sorted GTE on an undulating, meandering road and it went like a rocket. It really surprised me how fast that thing went and how stable it was in the corners. I presume that if all the suspension rubbers are shot, the engine tired, tyres old etc then yes, it would be a dog, but if everything is factory fresh they are a fast car. Maybe not on a track but on a public road at DOUBLE the speed limit would be no problem. Straight to gaol (jail) speeds. Of course people can say that it is not as fast as a 365GTC, but on public roads they have the same top speed that is safe. I have a C4 but on a public road I can not go anywhere near it's top speed. Thus it has the same top speed as a GTE. Fast enough.
    John

12. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    The drawback thing about a 250 Lusso is only a 4 speed box. 1st is a tall gear so doing hill starts without slipping the clutch is awkward and the short 4th makes highway cruising noisy, tiresome.......... and expensive on fuel. I've got nothing against installing a 5 speed, keeping the original for resale. I know that's been done.
    But I really do believe the 365GT 2+2 or Series II 330GT 2+2 are great value as "drivers". If one had the money to blow then a 330GTC is perfect, its essentially a late 275GTB torque tube chassis with a big engine and a beautiful PF body (better built) for maybe quarter the price of a GTB. That makes the best sense to me.

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    John, I've driven a well sorted GTE on undulating, meandering roads at double the speed limit and you're right. What you don't see from following behind, though, is that it's twice as frightening as doing the same thing in virtually any modern sports sedan.

Rob, the best combination of fun and driveability are the GTCs, hands down - but with the Bentley as a benchmark and with a more modest budget in mind, I'd say you're best bet would be a 365 GT 2+2. As for the GTE, it's generations older, much louder and lacks both A/C and power steering. It's probably a much "rawer" experience than what you're looking for.

14. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Re your last line,there is AN EXTREMELY interesting road I used when motoring down to The Snowy Run in 07 in my 365GT4 .If you,re coming up to Toowoomba for the nationals and you,re Ferrariedup I love to let you know,probably would,nt like to post it though.I just used some of it on Tuesday driving back from the Gong,it hasn,t changed.

15. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Lovely,I have the same colour S1,love it to pieces.

16. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Hi I'm not a member of the FCA,good thing is that I know plenty of guys to talk to and drive their cars,If I need a fun car I've got that old Jaguar which is raw and very fast.
    Idea is to sell the Flying Spur and buy a long legged Ferrari,I think the Queen Mary car is what I'm after.

17. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    BQ drives very well,I've been on few long runs/week ends and his car is fresh on good rubber,good safe driver
    GTE is not what I'm after,nice car but I want a latter type car.
    JM whom I have much time for agrees a Queen Mary would be ideal.
    I need a car that Amanda will be happy in,she hated the Boxer,likes the Bentley and enjoys the E-type and apart from the head enjoyed my Aston Martin.

18. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    All points made are good and accurate. The four speed box on the Lusso (or on the California) is definetely a handicap in my experience; not so much for hill starts, but very much so for highway driving and cruising.

19. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Yes, a GTE at high speed can be terrifying (for the driver), but also great fun. All that weight way up front (engine was moved forwards significantly) and the rigid axle on the back make for "interesting" behaviour and reactions. It's certainly much, much more of a raw experience than a GTC. The flip side of that argument is that I was never bored in my GTE. The GTC, on the other hand, sometimes fells a bit too "easy" when I am not pushing it.

20. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    4spd / fwy spd = you - connecting rods + tow truck

My money would be on that beauty of Italian creation, the 330. My current object of lust.

21. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    Hey John...not the Forza article with Mr. Bayers pair, Sports Car Monthly page 34 "Ferrari profile" May issue..enjoy

22. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    I think a Queen Mary for me.the GTC is to close to the Jaguar I've got.

23. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I have been fortunate enough to drive just about every car mentioned here. The two most exciting were the aluminum bodied competition California and GTO #4713. The latter, by the way, was once an everyday driver, based in Philadelphia.

Regarding the best choice? I really don't think that there is a bad one. The individual should try and spend some time in as many of the (potential) selections as possible and then pick the one that best fits his/her needs. These cars were meant to be driven and that's what they do best. Some are best on the highway, at speed, with the family and luggage on board, others are in thier element on twisty back roads. Some excell at both. Properly maintained, the drivelines are incredibly reliable and on the occasion that they do break, parts are remarkably easy to obtain. [Paying for them, well that's another thing!]. Often replaced parts like filters, spark plugs, belts, hoses, tires, etc are available at most auto supply stores like Auto Zone, Pep Boys and the like. For the do-it-yourselfer, the majority of the tools for servicing can be had at Sears or K-Mart.

Many people have been seduced by the myth that your car must be be equipped with parts that were supplied by the factory, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT, and nothing else. This is, in my opinion, TOTAL NONSENSE. If you want a driver, there are some concessions/substitutions that will greatly enhance the drivebility and reliability.
    You can read about this in my recent post in the GTC discussion. You will also see why I am so fond of my GTC.

Bob Z.

24. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Love the smell, we christened it Eau de Daytona on the classic Le Mans trip last year. Reckon Ferrari should bottle the scent and sell it instead of the tat aftershaves they currently offer.

25. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I have spent a lot of time in both a Lusso and a GTC over the past 25 years. The Lusso can be tiring on a long drive and it has a more race car feel to it than the GTC does. It is the 4 speed vs. 5 speed and also the style of seat in both cars. It depends on what type of driving experience you want. Both are beautiful cars and make all the right sounds. The GTC feels stronger due to the extra liter but I like the way the 250 revs. Neither has the modern car feel but there is more room and a more comfortable ride in the GTC. I prefer the vintage ride though and like to have to work a little bit at fast driving. Walter Mitty I guess.