Whats a good touring 60s Ferrari? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Whats a good touring 60s Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Arvin Grajau, Apr 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    the black car with red trim?

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    4 headlights are a love-hate proposition. In the right color comb, a 4-headighter is a truly elegant car, very attention-getting.

Seems that most all of them on the market the last two or three years have been the toxic resale red/black...absolutely the worst colors for this model.

The discs on my 330 were good for one hard stop, then fade-away till cooled. However, I had pads installed that woudn't squeal, am sure some heat-dissipation ability was lost.

3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Mate, I would put up with 1000 decibels of squeal if I had some stop!!!You,re right about the colour,I was fortunate to acquire a silver/black version...happy,happy,happy.

4. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    My 330GT brakes are quite good when they are fully refreshed sitting unused over the winter they get a little vague.

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott

Mine was silver/light tan...nice, but I'd planned to have it redone at some point, maybe in dark blue or rosso rubino.

The brakes on my BMW 635 squealed like crazy and drove me insane; finally replaced the pads and it helped some, then with the 330, I had the brake cylinders rebuilt and requested new non-squeal pads.

The braking was fine for around town cruising. One good hard stop at a time is all you need, and it would do that fine.

The 308's brakes are a whole techno-era ahead of the 330...quiet, ultra-effective, fade-free.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Get some cool air on to them, and I'm sure you can find a better compromise pad ... although you have to be careful as I've run pads in an Alfa that simply don't work until they get some heat into them and that causes grey hairs when cruising LOL.

Pete

7. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I never had problems with the 330 brakes working from cold, and they were well-ventilated, at least by the Borranis.

IMO, not enough swept disc area per unit of weight on a big, heavy car. I doubt a faster-cooling pad would have been 1% more effective in a single stop.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes, I was thinking about reducing fade so the car would not only be able to do a single hard stop, but many repeated stops. A cold air tube directed at the disc worked perfectly on my fathers BMW 2002tii that he classic raced, before the cold air ducts it had fading issues ... even after we played with pads.

Pete

9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    yes, mine

FYI, of the 801 Queen Mothers built, approximately 85 were RHD.

10. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    well a very nice looking QM.

11. Trachsel

Trachsel Karting

Aug 8, 2008
    Muri BE
    If you want to do racing with your vintage car, it is a must to fill in new the hydraulic liquid in the brake system and bleed the system every time you go to the race track. I am sure, you won’t have problems any more. I did it so on my c/4 and had never difficulties. Regards, Jacques.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good point, and any race car always needs a bleed before race day. No need to replace all fluid, just ensure you bleed out the caliper volume.

Pete

13. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    JSA330 something else must be wrong I have never had the brake issues in my 330 SII you describe, in the C/4 in REALLY hard racing the brake fluid can get too hot, Tom Welsch solved that w a cooler rig

14. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott

Mine was an early SI, 21st off the line, I believe.

Maybe I've made the braking problem sound worse than it was...they never ceased to work, always pulled straight, in 100F weather stop-go traffic they were fine, highway traffic always fine.

One hard emergency stop is what I'm talking about...like 60 to 0, full pedal. Even then they didn't cease to work afterwards, just needed to cool for a minute or two.

Braking system was completely rebuilt, car was maintained by top Ferrari shop here, system bled and fluid changed whether it needed it or not.

Yes, no doubt some ducting and harder pads would have helped had I put it on the track. But the car was 98% used as an in-town cruiser; on the highway, rarely exceeded 80. Same goes for my current 308.

For the 330, it was a simple case of early application of 4-wheel discs on a production car: swept area too small for weight, insufficient airflow for ongoing cooling.

Ironically, after all the discussion about braking, the accident that claimed my 330 could not have been avoided by brake use...a guy ran right into me when I was at a near-deadstop. :(

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Michael,

Scott's 330 had (has - assuming it hasn't been parted out) a single circuit older style system. The later 330s has an improved set-up.

Regards,

Art S.

16. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Art,

I think it's still in one piece, more or less. I get an email or PM regarding it from time to time.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was a single-master system, but there were two plastic brake fluid filler receptacles underhood on the driver's side.

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Scott,

My car has three of those receptacles: 2 brake + 1 clutch. I think yours is 1 brake + 1 clutch.

Regards,

Art S.

18. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Art: I'll have to dig up my owner's manual....Pretty sure the clutch was all-mechanical.

I do remember having the brake master cylinder rebuilt, and there was only one.

Is your car back on the road?

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Scott,

Nope... but if you go to Tom Yang's site, you can see the engine coming back together.

Regards,

Art S.

20. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Will definitely check it out, Art. I'm sure it's going to be well worth the wait and money. I haven't been on Tom's board much since the 330's been gone.

21. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I would say that Jaguar fielded a pretty strong Works team in the late 50's, and was <*also*> good at building comfortable road cars. Just an opinion.

22. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco

Oops, I meant "in the 50's" instead of "in the late 50's".

23. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    I think the build quality of the jaguar was well no where near the standard og a mid 50s to mid 60s Rolls Royce, no car was.

24. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Jag raced to sell cars. Ferrari sold cars in order to race, Different priorities that were reflected in the products.