What's for Breakfast? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

What's for Breakfast?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by darth550, Feb 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    I appreciate the suggestions, and as a gastro-tourist, have been researching my options to make the most of our meal there.

2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

lol...first time I've seen that phrase.

Ive seen "destination diner" used before (check out "opinionated about dinning" someday).

I guess I'm gastro-touring this week. I had a few free days to fill and couldn't get my last trip to Nola out of my mind...so I'm in the midst of a 3-day food trip to Nola...poboys, BBQ shrimp, soft shell crab, gumbo, fried chicken, etouffee, oysters, beignets...yum!

3. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Yep, I'm fortunate to only live about 100 miles from NOLA so my family and I usually visit there about one weekend a month. There's nothing like hot beignets and Café Au Lait at Café Du Monde in the French Quarter!

4. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thread drift (but, hey it's food)...in nola, try luizza's by the track. I just finished lunch there today, and after eating at ~15 places over my last two trips, it's my favorite. The highlights from their menu imho are the crawfish étouffée and the BBQ shrimp poboy. It's the only restaurant I repeated in the two trips.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

By the race track? Last time we were out that way, it seemed kind of a rough neighborhood. Even by NO standards.

We gotta get back. It's been too long since we were last in the Big Easy.

T

6. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Not sure, I didn't see a track. It's this place:

http://liuzzasnola.com

Be sure to consult the very small "specials" board near the door...the crawfish étouffée is listed there if they have it, along with a few other goodies.

Neighborhood is fine, drive down esplanade from french quarter has some awesome architecture.

7. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  8. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Made my fave today, Hemplers chorizo and egg burrito.

10. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #210 arizonaitalian, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The GF surprised me with homemade bagels today (who knew that was a thing?)

Some are plain and also made Chives & Red Hawaiian Salt (pictured here).

Yummy...first time she tried it...I thought they were great.

Served with whipped cream cheese or just plain 'ol butter...got a few days of waking up to them to look forward to :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I think you got a keeper! Did she boil them, before baking? I thought I read that was a secret to bagel making.

T

12. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've never made bagels but I've made pretzels, and that is the secret.

13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yeah, she's pretty great :)

Yeah, she made the dough last night, let it sit all night, boiled them early this morning and then baked. I just spent $6.50 on a 4-pack of bagels at the store yesterday afternoon (!) and I think maybe that got her mind spinning to give it a try.

14. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    #214 piratepress, Jul 23, 2017
  15. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  17. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Theres an art to it and timing is critical. You're not boiling them but you're still cooking them at a higher temp than what you want the internal temperature to be. I do 75c for about 13 minutes with a room temperature egg. They're spreadable when done.

Sidenote: Those don't look that bad!

18. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason

145F for 45 and they came out of the bath good,
    After the bath you still have to de-shell and dump in simmering pot of water for a minute or less

http://www.businessinsider.com/sous-vide-poached-egg-2016-5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    The answer is yes and no. When doing eggs, time and temp is a compromise and it's all about what consistency you want between the white and the yoke. You have to have the water hot enough to cook the whites, but you cannot leave the egg in the water too long, otherwise it cooks the yoke too. I prefer the white cooked through almost completely, but still like a runny yoke. Therefore, I have to use hotter water for a shorter time.

Think of it like grilling a cold steak. If you use high heat, the outside will be cooked, but the inside raw. Lower the temp and you'll get a more even cook through the steak. I don't want that. I want the outside done, while the inside is raw (so to speak).

It's all about trial and error to figure out exactly what you like. My mom and I spent a good 3+ hours one morning just trying different times and temps. It was fun, and both us and her dogs ate very well. :)

Mark

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OK, thanks guys, that makes sense.
    T

21. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That looks great!! The jamon looks amazing!!

Today I made a big breakfast, not usually something I do. Hash browns, two eggs over easy, sausage links and a raisin English muffin. Cup 'o coffee and I was good to go for hours!!

One day last week I was supposed to go look at a car but it turned into a crap show. So I stopped by a little tiny bakery that opened in my town. It's run by a pastry chef who used to work in Michelin star places. Yes those Michelin stars. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. stuff. I had a little almond and brown butter financier. Almost like a muffin but not quite. Almost like a cake but not really. Probably hands down one of the best pastries I've ever had. Just a little sweet, nice and moist without being heavy, and just the perfect amount of crunch around the edges. It was incredible. In my little town?? Also bought a chocolate croissant and a small baguette for later. Both also great but that little financier was over the top.

22. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Just before we moved here a Krispy Kreme closed that would have been super convenient to us. It's an odd lot and they couldn't sell it. So guess they figured to re-open it! It's under construction... so I see the occasional hot donut and coffee for breakfast in my future. Mmmm, donuts. (Insert a Homer Simpson donut emoji here.)

23. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I've never understood the huge hype behind Krispy Kreme. Seem like an ok donut but nothing extraordinary about them. Then again I abhor improper spelling to make a name cute to so maybe that has something to do with it. I know it's a brand and it's catchy.

Now get off my LAWN!!

;)

24. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#224 NbyNW, Aug 4, 2017
    When that hot donut sign is on... awesome! Since 1937 so not a recent cutsie name. Can't wait till they open. It has history and I like places with history. I miss DQ Blizzards too - not one close by. It makes me think of Carl's in Fredericksburg, since 1947. Old school frozen custard, order at a window. And Allman's BBQ also in Fredericksburg, since 1954. Both are awesome. Time for a Saturday road trip!

25. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #225 TexasF355F1, Sep 5, 2017