What's For Dinner? | Page 388 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I use this stuff almost exclusively now. It's great quality and @ $2 a pop, can't beat the price. Nor the quality.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

T

2. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_'n'_Stormy

This will solve all your rum problems!

T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks for that Tom. Ive been seeing this ginger beer at the store and keep thinking about picking up. Now I have a reason to.

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Goslings ginger beer is good. Perhaps coincidentally, they make one of my favorite dark rums...T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks!

I keep it simple and always just grill them on a propane Weber. I really like the bit of smoke and crust it gets and it’s zero clean up and no smoke in the house. (Although I often wish I was less lazy and used real wood and charcoal in a kettle.)

I guess to be complete, I do sear in a stove top pan and bake for larger cuts like prime rib and whole filet...but that’s usually only at the big family holiday dinners.

6. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    My brother used to go to Cuba for winter. He'd bring back rum and cigars. Luckily no embargo here, can buy the rum in the liquor stores.

Made chicken noodle soup (canned) and chicken salad sandwiches for dinner last night. Still have my cold. Tonight I'm craving a beef taco pizza, so think that will be dinner.

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Going to Cuba would be cool! I think a few cruise lines are stopping off there.
    My wife was telling me that a few folks @ her place of work have had colds for several weeks. Bad for a while and then takes a long time to shake it off, and get up to snuff. Hope you don't have something like that, Max.
    T

8. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Dinner last night was something created in the mind of my gf (her tastes are a bit different than mine). Anyways, it was the puff pastry "shells" you buy in the dairy aisle, baked, then the middle/top is removed, and the interior filled with pesto, salami, and cheese. Then baked a few minutes more to melt the cheese. Pretty damn yummy! Served with a spinach salad.

PureEuroM3 and Streetsurfer like this.
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Somebody doing a little caloric penance for those 3" thick steaks?!?
    Those do look yummy though.

Choice porterhouses from Costco.
    About 1.5" thick.
    Liberal application of pink Himalayan salt.

On the fire. Oak and charcoal. 1 min per side direct. 4 min per side, indirect. They came out perfect. In other words, the wife freaked out, and threatened to microwave her steak if I didn't put hers back on the grill.

With the now de rigueur F-chat topping of shaved parmesan.

T

NbyNW and Streetsurfer like this.
  10. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Looks awesome!

Lol at the microwave threat :)

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks! Steaks came out closer to rare/medium rare. So, I carved off some of the more done bits and threw them on the grill. Ton of leftovers!
    T

12. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #9687 arizonaitalian, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Enchilada Battle Numero Dos...twice as fun and yummy!

Picked up some grilled chicken from a local (very authentic) Mexican market, along with rice, beans, their hotter-than-Hades salsa and the proper cheeses and crema:

Prepared a cheese/crema/cilantro/smoked jalapeno mixture and a chicken/bean/rice/fresh salsa mixture:

Assembled and ready to bake (made some std-size flour and also some smaller corn tortilla versions):

After baking:

Ready to eat:

Well, now its ready to eat after being joined by Ania's fancy watermelon radish carving :)

NbyNW and Streetsurfer like this.
  13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  14. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Neat idea. With all those ingredients I see a sandwich! However, I see everything as a sandwich and I find it more fun.

I'll keep that in mind it got me thinking about a pastry, beef, and seasoning to be a miniature beef pie.

15. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Tom,

That looks like quite a hunk of meat.

Also, the two of you made me laugh much harder than I should have over the parmesan.

It was all by accident to begin with. But hey why not try it and see who likes it.

16. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    This will be happening soon.

I'm preparing to try the Chef Ramsey Chicken Parm recipe soon. I don't usually flatten it out as much as he does nor season the breading as much.

Only one way to find out! Not sure about the side yet.

17. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Its a bad cold. Had it going on three weeks now.

My mother ended up making tooo much spaghetti sauce. So ended up at parents for homemade spaghetti and meatballs last night. It was yummy!

18. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Went to Pluckers last night and instead of wings had a burger. It was pretty good actually. Very moist.

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You didn't order the Mother Plucker?!?

T

TexasF355F1 and jamesdouglas1436 like this.
  20. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    All this Mexican food. Yummm. I was close today, had Peruvian food. Two small tacos, one Chorizo and one Carne Asada. And two pork papusas. Mmm, mmm good. Little hole in the wall place downtown of my little hole in the wall town. :D Great food.

tomc likes this.
  21. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Hi Max, may you feel better soon, sir!
    If you consume dairy products, can you try and cease for the duration? If so, it may help you recover much more easily/quickly. Dairy corrupts your mucosal ph and consistency and makes for your immune system’s germ defense to weaken, and fighting a cold properly nigh onto impossible, if not only delayed and more painful, and you more miserable.
    ————-

Tonight I had some hummus with made with garbanzo, pumpkin, black olives, and sweet corn, with some kraut juice, and cashew yogurt blended in. And some chicken broth. Then some of the juice I prepared and froze last week for breaking-fast meals.
    No pic, but I made this jar of mustard the other day so I’ll post it as a pic to make up for my negligence, hehe.
    Chokeberry honey mustard

22. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

^^ Way up there... @tomc love Porterhouse steaks. Combines both of my favorites - strip and filet, and the dogs love the bones (for a short time).

My wife is down with a cold now too. Pretty nasty. She was feeling off so went to the doc which was full of sick people and she thinks she picked it up there.

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Thank you! I agree. Steak-wise, it's the best of both worlds.
    These were on special @ Costco, $7/lb for choice.
    So, a pretty good deal as well.

Hope all the cold sufferers are feeling better soon. Wife is coming out of the worst of it, but it lingers
    on. I've been drinking matcha, eating chicken soup, trying to avoid getting sick.

T

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ron,

Are you saying to avoid dairy when you feel the onset of a cold and then abstain for the duration?
    Interesting, wife & I don't drink much dairy - a little cream in her morning espresso, but we do
    go through tons of yogurt. Hmm. Food for though, figuratively and literally.

Is there anything you recommend amping up in your diet apart from chicken soup? Anti-oxidants?

T

25. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #9700 Streetsurfer, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    That and more.
    I use herbal teas to help. Onios, garlic are supposed to be good for the blood. What I would recommend is a high raw, whole food, very low processed diet. I am not anti-meat or vegan. Or paleo, or Keto, or fo any real label. i just have to try and eat a certain way due to health issues, largely from being fed wring much of my life and fed meaning fed misinformation as well as problematic foods. Calendula is supposed to be anti-viral, for one. Yarrow and garlic antiseptic, horehound an expectorant. Many foods help boost the immune system, but I think it is all the processed foods we eat the wrecks it. Good variety of live foods and dense nutrition....thus my juicing.
    I really haven’t caught but two-three colds since stopping dairy decades ago. I used to get them or at the least, sore throats with tonsiliths on a monthly or bi-monthly basis or so, and migraines, and my ears were always injected (red and inflammed) when I saw a doctor). Those couple/few colds since cessation of dairy.... I can pinpoint to immediate prior dairy exposure incidents. Like gravy in a restaurant when I had nowhere else to eat, and In a weak moment.
    I was just reading the pus levels allowed in dairy in the US. 750million cells per litre (750,000 cells/ml per https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahms/dairy/downloads/dairy14/Dairy14_dr_Mastitis.pdf) when someone else sets the limit at 400 million, austrailia has no limit. This according to online info, if it can be trusted. Blood and feces can be and are in there as well with no limits set for them. Often some of the herd are in a state of mastitis in part from being kept pregnant and the frequent milking. Dairy bad, in my eyes.
    I always had trouble with it and it took into my thirties when constipation and migraines got so horribly bad, until I figured it out on my own by an elimination diet. As a boy, doctors ignored my stomach complaints, telling me it was in my head and there was no such thing as food allergies that would cause my complaints. I also had regular facial “undergrounder” pimples, until I quit it. I didn’t drink milk at home prior to school, but school made me drink it....I broke out in pimples all down my arms. Nobody put two and two together for me. We were in farm country and dairy pride was strong, making butter in class, going on field trips to the city’s milk product producing dairy
    I will admit some eat it and have no issue that they know of, but if you have health concerns and wonder why, dairy would be one of the first foods I would eliminate. A cold shouldn’t take two or three weeks to clear. 7-10 days. The thickening of the mucous by dairy is why they linger.....we can’t expectorate and clear the dead tissue and debris from the killing of the cells damaged by the germ and then killed and cleaned up by our blood supply....is it autophagy or apoptosis(?). The immune system is weakend and kind of “stagnant” when mucosal barrier is corrupted and its defense inhibited. And the mucosa lining runs from mouth to the other end, as well as lungs being affected.

I don’t want to start an anti-dairy campaign, but rather, help enlighten anyone who might be having trouble from it. I shared with one girl who was always sick with respiratory infections and coughing blood. She gave it up for a term at least and got better and ended her frequently recurring colds/infections.
    Hippocrates said something to the effect “to eat while sick is to feed the illness”. He had many good sayings that I think are more apt to apply and help than many of todays medical standards.
    I hope this helps someone, and doesn’t offend others who are well able to tolerate it.

tomc likes this.