What's For Dinner? | Page 394 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'm with you. The GF loved that meal. The meal was good to me, but I'm not a fan of Cornish Hens either.

Thank you. She has been in hospital or rehab nursing facility since Nov 15 (this was my fourth trip to Reno since then). She is getting stronger and ready to go "home" in a week!

This Chinese place - Fortune Palace - was my father's favorite. There food is above average. So going there always reminds me of him...he used to go and get a drink in their bar and order when there, rather than call it in and then go to pick up. He said he liked hanging out with the owners. He didn't even really like to drink, but made an exception whenever we wanted take-out Chinese he volunteered to go get it. Always make me smile to walk in there and see the bar stools and remember him sitting there waiting for our takeout.

Jdubbya likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Necessity is the mother of invention, or some such! Made burgers but didn't have any buns, but we had tortillas, so I made tube burgers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Served with salsa and and Mexican cheese. ¡Bueno! And, a little Kendall Jackson red.

T

Lotaz and arizonaitalian like this.
  3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Did you do the Tube burger boogie?! ;)

arizonaitalian likes this.
  4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lol. Actually, I was humming the ZZ Top ditty while grilling them, but alas no boogie for yours truly. ☹️
    T

arizonaitalian and Jdubbya like this.
  5. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

That’s messed up.
    Points for creativity! Sounds tasty.

6. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Dinner was a cup of chicken broth, but I was prepping some air dried bison flank for jerky while having it.

The marinade: maple syrup, aronia berry syrup, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, salt, hickory smoke, molasses, honey, chokeberry honey mustard, sassafras tea. Bagged and ready for bi-hourly massage for the night and dehydrator sometime in the morning. Should have some dried by dinner.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  7. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Its 5:21pm and have no clue what's for dinner. Probably run up and get a pizza.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Same dilemma here, but I whipped up a couple since we had the ingredients handy. I think I got better results by cranking the oven up to 500 F.

T

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That bison looks tasty.
    T

10. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #9835 Streetsurfer, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Thanks. I wish I had held some aside for myself, before adding the dip.

We (and by “we”, I mean Lisa ) got a new cat, who enjoyed a small bowl full of the bison fat and crispy edge trimmings.

Bisonte likes this.
  11. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Last night we attempted to make Indian food. We have done it before, but those attempts turned out to be nothing like what you can get in any good Indian restaurant. So, we set out to do it right. Sigh. It was so much work! I was exhausted after finishing this dinner. But, it was amazingly yummy. Perhaps the tastiest food we've ever made. It had those bold and deep and complex combinations of flavors that only Indian food (and a few other southeast Asian cultures) can deliver. And it had just the right amount of subtle heat permeating the dish, but definitely "there" in the background (vs. "on top" of the food or standing out as some heat can be in some dishes).

Each dish had a few cooking steps; sear the chicken, blanch the spinach, cook the sauces, blend the sauces for each, cook the combined ingredients together, grill the naan, and cook the rice. Once again, did I mention how much work this was? I'm feeling tired just typing about it. Despite (because of?) the effort, I'm pretty proud of what Ania and I made, so I'm going to share some "sausage making" pics in addition to the final results.

The menu was:

- Murgh Makhani (butter chicken)
    - Palak Paneer (spinach and cheese)
    - Garlic Naan (homemade)
    - Rice

The list of ingredients was loooooong...requiring 3 trips to various stores to finally get it them all - the last trip was to an Indian Market to get kasuri methi (fenugreek leaves, which ironically doesn't help to know the english word!). We marinated the chicken for 24-hours in a mixture of yogurt and copious amounts of several spices. Then we prepped for an hour (chopping and measuring out spices, etc). Then we cooked the Palak Paneer and Murgh Makhani and finally baked the Naan on the BBQ/Grill at the end for fresh, hot butter-slathered Naan. Somewhere in there we remembered the rice and in a panic threw that on the stove top.

Did I mention how much work this was? :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

SoCal1 likes this.
  12. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

That's amazing. You win the day. Nice reward for all your work!

I go to an Indian restaurant with co-workers occasionally - need to ask my wife if she's interested and find a place closer to home.

13. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #9838 Streetsurfer, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    arizonaitalian likes this.
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Bright colors and intense flavors!

Much more boring here. Side salad with homemade cranberry / pink peppercorn vinaigrette. Wife has promised to bring home a rotisserie chicken from Costco!

T

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Did you make your own paneer or slack off and just buy it?!? LOL. Sorry, that is righteous looking food. Kudos to Ania and you.
    T
    P.s. If you're taking requests and looking for a dessert to top this off, Google kheer.

16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    LOL...store bought of course...perhaps next time...just gotta get a cow someplace...

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I was thinking making paneer from milk and (I think) lemon juice. I wasn't thinking about going that far back to the source!
    T

18. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    arizonaitalian and NbyNW like this.
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  20. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Did the Kirkland pesto over linguine again. It was ok. Should have bought some shrimp and scallops to add. Next time.

21. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  23. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Seeing ketchup as an ingredient in chili makes me throw up. It's like A1 on a steak. lol

24. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Did our Spicy Tomato Bean Soup round 2

We added grilled corn, grilled shrimp, roast anchochilie, tortilla, Cotija cheese, avacado

Almost healthy

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That looks great. We took our guest to Babe's, which is a local fried chicken chain. She had a blast. And, since it's BYOB, we introduced her to the drive through beer barn! She had a blast.
    T

SoCal1 likes this.