What's For Dinner? | Page 431 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sounds like this stuff that you see in Mexican bodegas. Tempted to try it, but never have. Sprinkle on fruits, veggies, etc.
    https://www.tajin.com/products/tajin-clasico
    T

2. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I.T. Guy likes this.
  3. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #10753 Streetsurfer, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    That looks real good.
    Lisa says a farmers market she works at has a tamale, fruit cups, and eloté vendor who also slices a mango into a rose, then squeezes lime juice onto them, followed by tajin. Sounds great. I’d be all over that if I could do pepper.

This has salt and lime, a flow agent (Ca3(PO4)2 written that way just for you, hehe), sodium citrate and citric acid, sans pepper. I got in the habit of keeping some around through friends and co-workers who hailed from S.W. Texas and Mexico. I see now that Twang is from San Antonio. Liquor stores here usually have some near the register.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.
  4. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Ran out of lean cuisine meals, so made homemade beef tacos...……………… I'm craving pizza, so might cheat and get one tonight.

5. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Holy moley, Ron, how did you stumble on that! I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin spice apart from using it to make pumpkin or sweet potato pie. And, even then I just add individual spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc. If you made me guess, I'm blaming the cloves!

Actually, the variety I've been meaning to try is the Hot & Spicy variety. I LMAO when I read their web page...

"Ever wonder what pork would taste like if pigs subsisted on hot peppers? Keep wondering. But if it’s tasty spice you covet, you’re in luck. SPAM Hot & Spicy turns up the heat on the flavor you already love. In fact, nine out of ten eskimos highly recommend it."

T

7. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I saw it posted on Badger and Blade forum. The hot and spicy sounds good too. Yes, funny marketing, lol. Someone cited another article claiming the pumpkin would be an online only item...Spam and Walmart.com. I haven't read them all but a proposed Sept 23 release date.

8. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    My brother, SIL and nephew are visiting from the island. We ended up at McDonalds. Had a Big Mac. I have some vanilla ice cream, so had some with Canadian maple syrup on top. Very good!

Streetsurfer likes this.
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That sounds like a diet buster!

Fire! Lump, pecan and oak.

Skirt steak. Marinade for about 12 hours. Asian influence this time - teriyaki, brewed soy sauce, lime juice, salt, pepper.

Corn - start in the microwave. Finish on fire for a little Maillard reaction goodness.

A tad more done than the last batch. The wife is happy.

T

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #10760 arizonaitalian, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    More fun with the lodge cast iron pan set. I saw a guy make Steak Diane on youtube and was inspired to give it a try. Came out only "okay" because my timing was off and I cooked the sauce too long while finishing the steak and potatoes (so the sauce condensed to nothing) . The steak was a low-quality thin porterhouse from our local market that was too cheap to resist. The final pic is the filet portion topped with the "sauce". Gonna try it again tomorrow (with better beef) and hope to it right next time!

NbyNW, TexasF355F1 and Streetsurfer like this.
  11. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
  12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Love a good steak Dianne.

13. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    @Tom yes that was deep fried ice cream :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    FWIW, the veggies look killer. That dish reminds me of a steak & mushroom masala dish I made a long while back. It was great the first time, craptastic the second. As an aficionado of the cheap, Kroger steak, which tend to be thinner & less marbled than the good stuff, I find it's best to prepare cheap steaks high heat and short time.
    T

15. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Streetsurfer likes this.
  16. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Broke the diet again...…… Met my brother and his family at their campsite. Ended up taking them to DQ for a cheeseburger and ice cream. Despite the rain, it wasn't a bad day.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    They're camping, but ate a Dairy Queen?

lol

arizonaitalian and Streetsurfer like this.
  18. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Its raining. So I wanted to get out of it.

Streetsurfer likes this.
  19. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    You’re Mr. Hospitality Max. I admire that you do so much with family, so often. I too, wondered why fast food when a campfire burger would be ideal, but seems that you saved the day, after all. I’ve had to break camp because of a blizzard (not a DQ Blizzard :D, but a frozen shower from above), so I imagine getting rained out makes welcome, a tasty diversion under solid shelter.

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Pizza photos from Venice.

21. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Silly me I thought they had an RV. :D

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Now, I REALLY am jealous. I've said it once, I've said it a million times - 99% of the places I've been to, I'm like "meh, next trip, I would rather go somewhere new." Venice is definitely in the 1% that I definitely want to go back to. The food, the history, the unique island setting. If it weren't for all the dang tourists, it'd be perfect! ;)
    T

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Go in October or March. Best hours 6-9:30am, then hibernate. Come back out 6pm+ and it's fantastic.

tomc likes this.
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I was day dreaming about being in Venice, and forgot to post food pics!

Hoofed it down to Fort Wort to see friends, and went to one of our favorite little places.
    Shinjuku Station.
    Japanese margarita. Not sure what makes it Japanese inspired, but it was a trillion degrees out, and this had ice in it.
    Tempura sampler - yam (wife loved it, and thus bogarted it), asparagus (OK), shrimp (good), shroom (meh).
    Chicken on skewers. Unlike a similar dish we had in Japan, there is a high probability that this was (a) cooked, and (b) not chicken butt! :)
    Salmon rolls. Sorry, Max. no chopped scallops on the menu last night. I did ask!
    Hamachi?!? I was on my second Japan-rita by then, so it got hazy.
    Saltwater eel with the biggest freakin' fish flakes I have ever seen. Very good. It came with a spicy sauce. Yum.
    T

NbyNW likes this.
  25. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Japanese is my favorite...……. Yum!!!!!!! My older brothers best friend is Japanese. They've been friends since kindergarten. They graduated high school in 1988, so it must have been early 1970's, when they met. His friend always had sushi and rolls homemade for his lunch at school. My brother made my parents take us out for sushi in around 1976. Its been my favorite since. I was four.

Speaking of Japanese. I'm craving hot dogs. What does Japanese have to do with hot dogs, you must be asking. In Vancouver there is a hot dog cart vendor with a few locations that serves Japanese style hot dogs!

info here: http://www.japadog.com/menu_En.html

Think I'll make the 45 minute drive for one. Vancouver is a major filming location. Japadog is so popular with celebrities', they've opened locations in LA.

Streetsurfer likes this.