News

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

1. max930

max930 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm going to make spaghetti. Costco is only letting in a certain number of customers into the warehouse. When two exit, they let two in. Not worth standing in line, so no meatballs, unless I make them myself. I like the Kirkland.

2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #12527 arizonaitalian, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    So...the good news is that the helicopter circling my flat wasn't the fire department checking on me. Sigh...

I cooked the steak in my cast iron pan (brought in my suitcase all the way from Wyoming via SFO to our flat in London) and it smoked so much the fire alarm went off and the flat filled with smoke. I opened up all the windows and doors and got the alarm to stop, but before it did, a helicopter arrived over my building and hovered for 2 full minutes. I went on my balcony and watched him...he seemed to really be watching me and my building. Could it be that the alarm triggers the authorities and they dispatched to an already flying chopper nearby? He was overhead a long time and clearly looking at my flat. There is nothing else nearby, there were no people or cars on the street, and I've not seen a chopper do that in the 6 months we have been here...

Since I have no idea how things work here, and frankly they often work completely orthogonally to how I would think. So I couldn't rule out that they were somehow alerted and here to check on me. I half expected a fire truck and fireman tromping up the stairs and into my wide open apartment. I texted the flat owner and she said there was "no way they were that efficient, it had to be a coincidence." So, I laughed at myself and went back to my cook. Luckily, that diversion happened to last the exact amount of time of my scheduled "rest" of the steak :)

As I said, that was the good news...

The bad news is that the steak (and everything else I cooked) was a "meh". It was chewy, as the butcher said it would be, due to the geriatric cow I was chomping on. And, it had a uniquely beefy taste, again as they said it would, showcasing the mileage on the hoof. The taste was unlike any beef I've had, but the chew was difficult and overshadowed the flavor. But...meh, I guess I'm a corn-finished 3-year old fatted cow sorta guy. My mushrooms and scallions were meh, as was the obligatory veggie - this time a zucchini.

At least the bottle of Bordeaux that kept me company was pretty good! (its another Ania working night, so I'm solo-isolating - is that redundant?)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. koisokok

koisokok F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    San Marino , CA
    Full Name:
    kerim
  4. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    arizonaitalian likes this.
  5. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sorry to hear. It looks good! And you got to watch a helo overhead. Ghetto bird?

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  6. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Last promo for a few days.

Any Bug Bunny fans out there? Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit...

https://www.metopera.org/

Wednesday, March 25: Wagner’s Die Walküre
    Starring Deborah Voigt, Eva-Maria Westbroek, Stephanie Blythe, Jonas Kaufmann, Bryn Terfel, and Hans-Peter König, conducted by James Levine. From May 14, 2011.

Dinner here wasn’t photo worthy. Shepherds pie. Good and hot sauce helped.

7. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

8. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Kirkland meatballs are actually decent. Get a lawn chair and wait in comfort!
    T

max930 likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I know people go gaga for macarons, but I've never been able to get into them. Give me a couple of Oreos and I'm good. Are those demitasse sized cups?

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Brisket finishing up in the oven until 200 F internal.

T

arizonaitalian, TexasF355F1 and NbyNW like this.
  10. FCMD

FCMD Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    El Campo, Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank
    arizonaitalian, TexasF355F1 and NbyNW like this.
  11. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ron, The Lamb Man!
    Strawberries? Huh. That's not one I've seen before.

T

12. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  13. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Ok, it’s Wagner, it’s epic. It goes on forever. 4:20 min long. The beginning is great, watch 10-20 min. The Flight of the Valkyries/ Bugs Bunny music is at 2:45. Pretty cool scene.

Back to food.

14. koisokok

koisokok F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    San Marino , CA
    Full Name:
    kerim
    Monticello.....thxs Tom.

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

16. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Got two things of oreos in my pantry. :)

17. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Funny thing is, if I don't eat any, don't miss them. If I have one Oreo, however, then I can't stop until the carton is gone! I really like the ones with lemon creme filling.

Decent smoke ring. Good oak flavor. The crispy barky bits are fabulous! My cardiologist - if I had one - would be apoplectic!
    T

NbyNW, arizonaitalian and TexasF355F1 like this.
  18. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 17, 2019
  19. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If the fire department shows up, then you're doing good!

I remember my wife telling me that older beef was popular in Denmark when she lived there. We don't travel much overseas, but I avoid steak and beef. Ditto in the US. My wife is tired of me grousing that mine is better (although she agrees that it is!)...T

20. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

tomc likes this.
  21. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason
  22. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  23. arizonaitalian

Silver Subscribed Owner

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
  24. arizonaitalian

Silver Subscribed Owner

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Opera? Food? Don't choose, why not combine them!

Opening scene of Die Walkure and cheese for dinner tonight...everything I know about Opera I learned from Bugs and Elmer.

(speaking of which, another Bugs opera, Barber of Seville, is showing on March 31...and the amazing Anna Netrebko is starring in Verdi's MacBeth on April 4...we don't want to miss either of those!)

NbyNW likes this.
  25. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

That was a cool set! I’ll be watching those other ones too.