What's For Dinner? | Page 879 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Returned to Bertha Miranda’s with long time friend residing in Reno.

We knew the Chile Verde was top notch from our inaugural visit. Tried their carnitas this time. Amazing. A little dry so a dollop of their yummy salsa helped.

Flour tortilla hand made at the restaurant. Next level. I was able to peel off layers.

I’m already looking forward to a return visit.

And oh, the platter was only $15.95!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

boostedt0y, NbyNW, I.T. Guy and 4 others like this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Looks like a good "Feast of the Seven Fishes" with some meats thrown in for good measure!

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Costco had really nice Meyer lemons on sale, so I used one to marinate lamb chops along with S&P, EVOO (garlic infused), garlic powder and minced garlic. As you might imagine, it was lemony, garlicky goodness.

Going to Paso Robles this summer. So, we bought one bottle of nearly every kind from that region that Costco had to see which ones we like. Started off with a less expensive 2018 Cab Sauv Image Unavailable, Please Login . Meh.

T

boostedt0y, NbyNW, Raconteur and 2 others like this.
  3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    boostedt0y, NbyNW, tomc and 2 others like this.
  4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had nachos for lunch today!

A taco place down the street from the office. Been several times because it's really good and cheap and good portions. These nachos shocked me at how large an order it was. AND, the big shocker was fresh avacado. Nacho leftovers aren't the best, but I couldn't finish them.

Raconteur and arizonaitalian like this.
  5. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    FWIW, made Beef Gyros tonight. Slicing onions and peppers, I used a Kyocera mandolin. I've had this one for at least two years and its ceramic blade is
    as sharp as new. I have a fancy $$ Japanese mandolin that I now rarely use because the Kyocera is faster and no hassle. Can't beat it for <$20. If you get one. be sure to also order a cut protection glove and ALWAYS use it. One slip without the glove and your finger tips will be in the salad! I found the included guard not particular useful.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kyocera-Advanced-Ceramic-Double-edged-Mandolin/dp/B001KVZ8M8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1W5Q21LFJ6GUD&keywords=kyocera+ceramic+mandoline&qid=1673573455&sprefix=kyocer,aps,122&sr=8-1-spons&smid=A1TWYVWG4QDVKK&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSjgzT05PREs1QzNOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDI4NzIyMllKUU5ZUDRBSVZINyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTIwMDgzWkJZUVY4QlNUU0xLJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

tomc and arizonaitalian like this.
  6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
  7. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Nice! I posted their carnitas when I was there for thanksgiving visit. We were supposed to go back to Reno for Christmas, but cancelled. Missed holidays with family, and another meal there…both too bad.

Raconteur likes this.
  8. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I have to admit that I’ve purposely not bought a mandolin…I just know I’d lose a finger or palm.

9. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Pizza night again. Tonight we made the usual one pepperoni pizza and another combo pizza (pepperoni, olives, mushrooms and onion).

But the best was something new for us - a white pizza with mushrooms, onion and a lot of fresh thyme, and cheese of course and a very healthy few drizzle of olive oil. This was one of the very best pizzas we have made thus far, the oil on the crust made it crunchy outside and chewy inside and the deep mushroom and onion with thyme made a perfect winter pizza. Yummy!

10. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    A favorite I forgot about popped in my head this week

Boston lettuce tear bite sized
    Green onions, red peppers
    Make a bed of it on flat serving plates

Goat cheese log thing comes with cranberries all around - cut it up
    Egg dip it and and Italian breadcrumbs
    Fry in oil until golden and cheese is warm/soft

Plop on top of the beds and drizzle with coleslaw dressing serve right away while cheese is warm (I forgot the dressing usually goes on before cheese is last to go on so it doesn’t hog the dressing like mine did)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NbyNW, boostedt0y and arizonaitalian like this.
  11. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    yum, I gotta try that!

I.T. Guy likes this.
  12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    arizonaitalian, NbyNW and TexasF355F1 like this.
  13. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  14. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
  15. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Finally a picture before I eat it. The broth is olive oil, white wine, fresh garlic and basil, salt, pepper, a pinch of dry chili pepper, dried parsley, a pinch of saffron, salmon, mussels, clams, shrimp, and scallops. I've also made it with calamari replacing the scallops and with halibut or lobster replacing the salmon. A small green salad and a hot baguette round it all out. Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #21969 tomc, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    I think it's mostly a Texas/Kroger thing, but we've had great success with Nolan Ryan 34 Prime prepackaged steaks. They're not Wagyu Window quality, but if you can find them, especially in the half off bin (and not short daylted!), you can't beat them for the price. I've had the ribeye and filet. Thought the ribeye was better.

Beef and bean soup.

Wife took a flyer on Greek wine at Costco. Horrible. Switched to malbec

T

arizonaitalian and johnireland like this.
  17. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I just replaced a worn (fingertip hole) pair with these same ones :). I will not use my mandolin without! I also don when shredding potatoes. No sense in finger rash or skin flakes in my breakfast taters :eek:

tomc likes this.
  18. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    This winter is bringing out some wonderful cold weather food. I must say, Whole Foods is doing the Amazon thing of cutting prices so low, they must be trying to steal customers from the stores that don't have Bezo's deep pockets. While beef is up as high as $50 a lb at Gelsons, grass fed organic New York steak is at $20 a lb at Whole Foods, and their rib eye (same quality) is $23. Grass fed organic French cut lamb chops $23 to $25 at Whole Foods, $39 to $49 at Gelsons. I admit that I'd pay Gelson's prices if their meat was always grass fed and organic, because I like the whole feel of their markets compared to WF. I go back and forth between them for seafood. I like Gelson's quality more for fish, and both are even with shell fish. WF has fresh calamari, Gelson's doesn't. Produce wise it is a draw and I don't look at the prices, just the quality. Dry and canned goods goes to Gelson's...just like their choices and layout better. In the next couple of nights my wife is making beef shortribs...organic grass fed...$10 a lb at WF. On the negative side, my new cardiologist sent me to a nutritionist and I have to start this detox cleansing diet...twice a day shakes and pills...and only one real food meal. I'm saving the good stuff for dinner. But no wine or cheese or bread etc for those 14 days. This isn't to address any one complaint or condition, just to sort purge my body of any accumulated toxins. The things we tolerate just to try and live to be 100.

tomc likes this.
  19. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  20. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name: