What's my 1968 Maserati series II Quattroporte worth? | FerrariChat

What's my 1968 Maserati series II Quattroporte worth?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by treedee3d, Nov 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Ok so to make a long story short...this car sort of fell on my lap (friend needed to get rid of it, needed garage space, used to belong to his late father, etc...)

I've been googling and searching and the closest I found was a 1966 Quattroporte for sale for 66,000$.

Is the fact that this is a series II make it more or less valuable?

A collector I spoke with said that in perfect working condition it could fetch six figures, is he correct?

The car looks great but it needs an engine, a good cleanup and some cosmetic restoration but it's solid and almost zero rust.

What should I do? Sell it as is....if so, how much can I get for it in its current state?

Am I better off completing the restoration and then auctioning it off?

In need of some guidance....I'm more of a recent collector and Ferrari nut (I own a 355 and a 456) so whatever happens with this car my motivation is strictly for monetary gain (I'm clear about my intention and honest about it)

Here are some pics and a link to several more pictures of it....the car was in a tight space so I did the best I could taking pics with my iphone

https://flickr.com/photos/125195736@N07/sets/72157672632586313

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011

Hi, see here: www.tipo107.com tipo107 registers around 500 Quattroporte 107, some of them are for sale, with some you can also see for how long.
    I am observing this market for about 10 years now. In perfect condition, you might fetch 6 figures, if you wait a very long time. Cars advertised at over 100 000 € change hands among dealers and that's going on for years. If you would put this car in a perfect condition, you would spend easily more than 100 000 € (even if it looks in good condition, the bad paint job has to go, stripping it will reveal areas that have to be repaired and then, the missing engine and gearbox... etc etc. Restoring a Quattroporte, be it S1 or S2, never pays your money (or your time) back. It's a labour of love. Wait for the results of this one: 1967 Maserati Quattroporte 4200 Series II | Duemila Ruote 2016 | RM Sotheby's

It is estimated at 15 to 20 000 € and is in much better condition. This will be a guide line. 1208 was sold at 25 000 $, but it had at least an engine, although condition was worse than this.

I wonder whether the 1966 at 66 000 is this one: 1006

If not, you can see its story, a traveller between dealers respectevely the same dealer with different names etc.

Or was it this one:

It will reappear offered by an other dealer...

BTw: do you have more details about your car's history? Is it in the USA now?

3. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab

Thanks so much for the info, this has been really helpful. The one I was talking about was indeed the red one 2150.

Car is legally registered in Quebec, Canada and has been in the garage for many years. The owner's dream was to restore it. Unfortunately when he needed to fix a valve, he took it in to a thief mechanic who intentionally picked a fight with him over nonsense and took the engine...

The guy was a bit of a pushover so he never legally fought to get it back. He passed away a few years ago and his son needed to get rid of the car. I haven't yet seen the paperwork but he said he will be giving it to me and he has it all. His father brought the car over from Italy.

In your opinion then I should just let it go as is, how much is a fair estimate on what I should get for it?

4. Steveiap

Steveiap Rookie

Dec 25, 2016
    Hi , if this car is still available i may be interested in buying it as i have an engine....