What's needed to twin turbo a 430? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's needed to twin turbo a 430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by MrFancyPants, Mar 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. o31982

o31982 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    nes
    Have any videos?

2. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Exactly what I have ! Injectors and tune and fuel problem is fixed . Call Boostlogic and talk to Roman .

These are old videos from when Justin still had it but I will get some of my own up soon enough .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1VeED775bs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aZXL6f5ws4

Here's a quick little fly by but not real spectacular....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlgkmcJkS8k

3. MrFancyPants

MrFancyPants Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Brandon L Adkins
    Is your car air to water or air to air?

4. BAD430BENZ

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Air to water

5. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Making a twin turbo kit is one thing. Having it perform consistently well with no issues is another. When I do a search for either a 360 or F430 it's only an Underground Racing video or a car simply on a dyno or doing a spirited run by themselves.

Perhaps I have not searched hard enough but I can't seem to find a twin turbo 360 or F430 going up against a twin turbo Lambo or 458, etc in an "independent" true run.

How come these twin turbo 360's or F430's are never involved in like those 1 mile run competitions in which the twin turbo Lambos or heavily modified Nissan GTR's dominate.

If somebody has some vids feel free to share.

And here are my thoughts since I'm an F430 owner myself. Even with the CST off, their is hesitation from the 1st gear to 2nd gear shift on the stock motor. Not sure if it's the E-Diff or what but I cannot even imagine attempting to shift from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th with a twin turbo and all this additional torque and horsepower to only the rear wheels. The tires will simply spin or the E Diff/Traction Control is going to slip/fry the clutch and flywheel.

Some other things you might want to consider if you go twin turbo is changing the diff gear ratio. The 4.30 gears are way too low (high numerically). I've never heard of anybody changing them though and it will probably cost alot to do. Can the F430 diff and transmission handle all this extra power from a twin turbo and last over a decent period of time?

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Step 1: park 430 in garage
    Step 2: go to Porsche dealer and buy 991 Turbo or Turbo S

Personally, I would not turbocharge a 430, but it you have a fascination for going really fast for brief periods with constant repairs and adjustments in-between, by all means, get one of the kits recommended above. :)

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Spot on !!

8. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    Years back I recall underground saying they didn't like to turbo charge Ferrari's the Ferrari F430, something about they didn't feel the stock engine was built strong enough... as you know they love to turbo the Lamborghini ....

9. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Yes. Would have to agree.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/277716-lamborghini-beware-twin-turbo-1000-hp-ferrari-f430s.html

Here is a thread over 7 years ago talking about the Underground Racing Twin Turbo F430. The thread ends with somebody asking how did the run go at the Texas Mile. No response of course. Probably didn't end well or never even showed up due to problems.

Does this twin turbo F430 even exist today? Has it stood the test of time? I doubt it.

Also let me say that I still feel Underground Racing is legit and probably the best tuner out there in the world related to twin turbo applications.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You would wonder how you would shoe horn in all the intercoolers and bits and pieces, it would be a right mess, hence u get the 458

11. MrFancyPants

MrFancyPants Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Brandon L Adkins
    I appreciate all of the input guys. But I feel like a lot of you aren't understanding I'm not looking to build a max power race car. I want to twin turbo the car just so I can say it's twin turbo. I'll put it on 5 pounds and just drive it. It may make 600 hp, but I'm not even going to beat on it. It will run around just like stock. Turbo's are the easiest power adders you can put on a motor. It won't even notice it is turbo until it's in boost. It will be no harder on the motor than just driving it around n/a. I fell like maybe you guys haven't had any cars that you've put turbo's on.

12. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    well I loved my 996 twin turbo.... I hope you get the turbos on yout F430, I would like to see and hear how it comes out.... I agree the car could you use some extra HP

13. MrFancyPants

MrFancyPants Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Brandon L Adkins
    That's all I want. To hear some blow off valves and make a little power.

14. BAD430BENZ

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    I would also recommend doing this if the Turbo or Turbo S cost between 20-30k but i'm pretty sure that is not the case . Just like he says in the bottom post , he is not looking to be the fastest or have 1000+hp . He wants the satisfaction of having a twin turbo Ferrari without paying the Ferrari markup for an OEM model . I see a bunch of people saying just buy a turbo Porsche or a 458 but when it's all said and done , how much money are you saving doing this to a 430 or 360.....well I have that answer and it's a whole lot of savings . When you are doing a bolt-on turbo kit , you don't have the motor problems that you would with a full engine build car . I have had my car for over a year and you know what I have had to do with it to keep it up...oil change . You know the same thing you guys "without turbos" have to do to your cars . The OP wants twin turbos and that's what ho should do !

15. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
  16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Cool.

I'm calling custard test lol.

17. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    I built a twin turbo corvette.. My LS motor was under 10k to build and it took over a year to work out everything. There was heat issues, idle issues, things that needed to get re-routed since the car wasn't built for turbos..Its an awesome car now... but whatever your budget is.... triple it. Ferrari parts are rarely cheap and I'm not sure its worth the many things that could go wrong (boost creep, stuck waste gate, etc). I agree that a motor is a motor, but with 11.3:1 compression you would almost need to do the pistons or run some serious octane to prevent detonation.

Seems like an experiment on how to piss away money, but I'm not your financial advisor.

I would love to see it happen... maybe you can pioneer it for the rest of us fools with money.

18. MrFancyPants

MrFancyPants Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Brandon L Adkins
    #43 MrFancyPants, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You got took on your LS build. Period. There are literally thousands of that you had. You can go anywhere and buy a kit.

Again, I've had plenty of high hp turbo cars. That Corvette ran 5.3's to the 1/8th and I went an 8.37 in the 1/4 in it. It was a flat top piston motor on E85 and I drove it all over. There are no "Ferrari" parts to buy when it comes to the turbo kit. We just need some piping and a turbo kit. I'll have $8k or less in the whole build including installation and tuning. You guys are nuts. Lol.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    #44 ICULUKN, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    My kit was a TTI Stage X kit with upgraded T66 turbos.. The 'kit' was almost 10k if I recall, plus I built my motor...

are you planning on using the stock headers (they are prone to cracking).. so you will need new manifolds...
    2 T-4 turbos..If you are using quality turbos, they are around 2500 each....
    intercooler.
    flanges and other piping
    tuning... most places, this is 2k alone..
    Installation... most mechanics are at least 100/ hour... Since there is no kit to buy, you will need to test fit everything with additional fabrication... You are at least 20 hours in that alone.

I would love to see the receipts for under 8k...Unless you are one talented mechanic (and im not doubting that you are) I think you are fooling yourself on the cost.

psych0hans likes this.
  20. MrFancyPants

MrFancyPants Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Brandon L Adkins
    The fab of the kit and the labor will be close to "free" as it's a good friend and we help each other out. I can get both turbos for $2500. The tuning will be $1500- $2000. You are probably right about the headers from what I'm reading, so there may be a little added cost in there. My point is, way cheaper than $350k+ for a 488. Basically I need intercooler, tubing, injectors, ect. I feel like I'm going to have to do it at this point.

21. BAD430BENZ

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    The last sentence says it all !!!

Trust me when I say that having a Ferrari is a real joy.....but the sound of hitting it and letting off the throttle and hearing the BOV is intoxicating . I have a had numerous boosted vehicles...GNX , Typhoons , Syclones , Integras , Camaros , Corvette but nothing gets the blood flowing like a boosted Ferrari !

22. o31982

o31982 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    nes
    I do agree with the OP. A turbo kit, is a bolt on kit. Even if it's a custom kit it should be doable under $20k. The fact that UR charges $49k for a stage 1 is crazy.

psych0hans likes this.
  23. MrFancyPants

MrFancyPants Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Brandon L Adkins
    I think so. But I also understand they charge a premium for their name, and use best of the best parts. All stuff I don't need.

psych0hans likes this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Is this Big Chief? 😀

25. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    so what you up to with your F430 turbo project?
    I'm about to start my twin turbo project, with just around 2psi internal wastegate springs and see what the stock fuel system can handle.
    I agree $8k is about right.
    Mine will be even less coz I'd be riding on a set of no brand T3/T4s specced like a GT3076R.