What's new(s)? Ferrari in periodicals. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What's new(s)? Ferrari in periodicals.

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Dino2400, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Ok, I received the first four issues of The Road Rat. So far I’ve just browsed through issue 1. There’s a lot of content, long form articles, high production values and very little advertising. In fact, I don’t see how it will survive just on individual magazine sales. And if they get a lot of advertising if loses a bit of its caché.

I’ve also received issue 5 of Magneto. I’m very impressed with it. There’s Ferrari interest in a nice article by Doug Nye based on the “Inside Track” Phil Hill book. I have all five issues and I think i’ll go ahead and subscribe.

NürScud, ChoroQ and jm2 like this.
  2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I subscribed to The Road Rat and Magneto whilst being aware that either or both might not survive the length of my subscription. I think The Road Rat might survive without a lot more advertising if they've got their numbers right in that, since they are selling direct, they get the full the price back to them without anyone else (e.g. newsagents, distributors) taking a cut. Time will tell.

It is always a bit of punt subscribing to a relatively new magazine both as to whether it will survive and whether the content and quality will good enough if it does. On the other hand, we aren't talking large sums for a subscription and if they aren't supported by people buying their products then they clearly won't survive. At least, unlike another magazine we could mention(!), both arrived at my doormat in a timely manner and without any issues.

ChoroQ and Jack-the-lad like this.
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Found this issue on the newsstand yesterday. I continue to be impressed with the magazine. Cover article is by Winston Goodfellow on the Alfa Romeo BAT concept cars (which I had the pleasure of seeing a couple of years ago in Nashville's art museum). Along with Doug Nye's retrospective on Phil Hill (much of it told in Hill's own words) is an article about a unique meet-up of the Pininfarina Ferrari Modulo and the Bertone Lancia Stratos HF Zero at the famous Fiat Lingotto building. There is also an interesting survey of the top 50 automotive events in the world (not including current racing series); #1 is the Goodwood Revival meeting, #2 is the Pebble Beach Concours.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  4. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
  5. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I noticed, shortly before I bought the latest edition of Automobilsport, that Horton's are selling second printings of Magneto Magazine. They currently have #1 and #2:

https://www.hortonsbooks.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=13869
    https://www.hortonsbooks.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=13870

and I see that the publisher is offering the same second printings (even though they list #1 & #2 as out of stock as a back issue):

https://www.magnetomagazine.com/store/products,magneto-issue-1-reprint_36.htm
    https://www.magnetomagazine.com/store/products,magneto-issue-2-reprint_37.htm

This is great news and should be applauded! Magneto seem to have so many things right. I know that Cavallino reprinted #1 (eventually!)* but it would be fantastic if more publishers reprinted editions, rather than advertising their sale on Ebay for €94!

Take note Automobilsport, Enzo and all the others!

*Cavallino #2 is the one that is the most difficult to obtain!

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That issue sold out quite early. I was lucky enough to get one at a fair price, but I guess those days are over!

7. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Given the cover price increase of Automobilsport, there isn't all that much difference in a 94 Euro issue from Ebay and the current issue from the newsagents. I guess it helps them justify the price though.

8. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Same here. I don’t buy every issue but I especially wanted that one.

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Do the Magneto reprints have any indication that the are not the original editions, or are they exact copies?

10. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I have looked for that on the online images but cannot see anything obvious. Nothing like Cavallino #1.

11. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I have that one available if your interested. And not at €94

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Don't know if those interested in Magneto have to have a hard printed copy. I missed them when they came out, but they released Issue 1,2 & 3 digitally on-line recently. Glad I was able to read them. The Bertone B.A.T. cars & Lancia Stratos articles made my day!

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, but I was able to find one at a reasonable price a few months ago.

gt4me likes this.
  14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I just ordered issue 6 of Magneto. There’s some really good content in it, even a tribute to Stirling Moss by Doug Nye.

jm2 likes this.
  15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    You're lucky, because it's already sold out, a full two months before summer begins and a full month before it would have appeared in U.S. stores! I sent them an email strongly suggesting that they needed to do another print run!

16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That’s astonishing. I guess people think they may not be able to get it on the newsstands. I think i’ll go ahead and subscribe.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm not, because over the last 40+ years, I have had nothing but trouble every time I attempted to subscribe to magazines from the U.K. To a large extent, they just can't seem to get over here in prime condition. The only one I've had success with is a current journal called The Aviation Historian, but it has small page size (6.7 x 9.6 inches) which seems less susceptible to damage, though even then I've had to have them re-ship a couple of issues. I have no trouble finding Magneto in U.S. bookstores, usually about a month after issuance in the U.K., so I am not inclined to subscribe. I just don't know if #6 would have appeared here once the stores re-open.

Now we'll see about the next issue of Enzo. Considering the problems reported here on its own thread, I'm not inclined to even try to order a single issue from them!

18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’ve had good luck with many UK subscriptions, except for Enzo. Since I have about a three hour round trip to the nearest B&N...and forget about a decent newsstand anywhere in my area code....a subscription is a necessity unless the magazine offers single copy sales as Magneto and The Road Rat do.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Good news! Magneto's response to my email is that they were actually waiting for another print run, which did arrive, and issue 6 can now be ordered again from their website (which I promptly did). I would strongly suggest that anyone who wants one and can't wait to see if their favorite newsstand gets it goes ahead and order one as soon as possible.

https://www.magnetomagazine.com/single-issues.htm

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  20. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    The format of these bookazines are becoming popular. Editoriale Domus is bringing back the famous title 'Autoitaliana' as what its looks like a similar format as Magneto. The cover of issue 1 looks very promising, issue 3 (110years Alfa...) is just published. More info here: www.autoitaliana.it

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jm2 and gt4me like this.
  21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Any magazine with a Dino on the cover ought to be worthwhile! Is any part of it (the captions, for instance) in English?

Dino2400 likes this.
  22. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    I've ordered all first 3 issues. When they arrive i will post a review on quality paper, print, content etc. To be honest, i don't think there will be much text in English.

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If not, maybe they should take a cue from Automobilsport and do a separate English-language edition; I'll bet that, worldwide, they sell more copies of their English-language edition that the German-language one.

24. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Autoitaliana is published in Italian language by Editoriale Domus. If they would publish an English edition it would also be my choice. Meanwhile, Google translate is my best friend. :)

25. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It’s a shame that no American publication exists...as far as I know...in the style of Magneto, The Road Rat and Automobilsport. Even if there were, the sad fact is that based on what I read of the online versions of the American legacy car magazines, the quality of automotive journalism in the US is quite low.

Zeltweg and jm2 like this.