What's new(s)? Ferrari in periodicals. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

What's new(s)? Ferrari in periodicals.

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Dino2400, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    There’s yet another new magazine out, this one from the US called Linkage. From what I gather it’s several editors, writers, contributors, etc., formerly associated with Sports Car Market. I requested a sample copy several weeks ago but never received a response. Ignoring your customer base is not a good start.....I just don’t splash out $$ on a new product any more without a test drive.

Lusso123 and jm2 like this.
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sounds a bit like the infamous "Enzo" magazine and behaviour of those guys...............

Marcel Massini

Rosey and Jack-the-lad like this.
  3. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I've received the first two copies of Linkage. It's big, and they have a lot of money behind the scenes to help publish... part of the Audrain Auto Museum. Almost all the magazine staff & contributors are ex-SCM, and freelancers who write for both. Unfortunately, the Editor they chose, who is the former Editor of SCM is not a car guy... he barely knows the difference between a Honda and a Ferrari. What saves that situation is that the Publisher is a car guy as as the contributors. Overall, to me, it Seems a lot like a sort of upscale SCM, not much appeal for me. As far as big bimonthly or quarterly magazines go, it's size is impressive, but I much prefer Magneto, which has great content and superb production values.

Jack-the-lad and jm2 like this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I totally agree about Magneto. You might like The Road Rat. Its content is less conventional than Magneto and its production values and page count are even more impressive.

Zeltweg, Lusso123 and jm2 like this.
  5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes, I've seen a couple of issues of The Road Rat, and you're right about it; it's pretty amazing. I have so little free time these days with a heavy workload, and can barely read through the few magazines I do subscribe to...

Zeltweg likes this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Having read the first two issues, I won’t be subscribing.

Lusso123 likes this.
  7. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    The joys of eBay!

Yours for only £175 (from £15 per month for 12 months if you really must have it) an incomplete issue 1 of Cavallino and not even an original!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INCOMPLETE-Cavallino-Vol-1-No-1-Sept-Oct-1978-International-Ferrari-Magazine/153130235911?hash=item23a745f807:g:4MwAAOSwYARbabmI

The highlights of the sale:

"INCOMPLETE Cavallino Vol 1 No. 1 Sept / Oct 1978 International Ferrari Magazine
    LOTS MISSING!!!!!
    Only has Pages 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 then jumps to 41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48 and has the outside and inside covers.
    Most the magazine missing but a few pages of this very rare edition of this magazine.
    2nd printing"

£175 = $242 = 206

8. ChoroQ

ChoroQ Karting

Jan 20, 2014
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.C.
    Has anyone in the UK already had the opportunity to take a look at Strada Magazine? I would like to know if it worths its subscription price or not.

And, what about a publication called "Paddock Life" ?

Thanks!

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Strada comes out today! I can't wait to see it, I have an article in it as well as a column, my first in almost thirty years of writing. FYI the issue is well over 200 pages.

10. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I reluctantly took out a subscription to Strada. Reluctantly because I would like to have seen an issue before committing but in the end I decided that I might as well give it a try for 30 quid. I will post my impressions when the first issue arrives.

I had not previously heard of Paddock Life (paddock-life.com).

Slightly strange (but good, I think) that several new magazines should have popped up relatively recently.

11. ChoroQ

ChoroQ Karting

Jan 20, 2014
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.C.
    Thank you for the quick reply Marc and those infos! I was looking at it since its announcement some month ago but as @jtremlett say

considering they don't show much of their product on the IG dedicated page. Plus, being outside UK means a near double subscription price.
    Probably I'll pay a sub, but would like to have some readers' advice first. :)

Same for me, but it seems to be published since 2015 or so. Again, I would like to give it a try - even if I'm not too much interested in "wellness, watch, yacht and lifestyle", but some arguments sounds interesting.

And definitely It's good that we may have all those varieties on recent publications.

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well not really; one consequence of Confinement is that it forced a reallocation of time to tasks and in my humble personal experience helped me clear my virtual desk of tasks that kept being bumped to the back of the line.

As I said to a very beautiful lady who enjoys her life, it is like the nice enough guy who keeps asking her out but is always superceded by more exciting new suitors: she fully agreed:)

ChoroQ and Jack-the-lad like this.
  13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If Marc is associated with it, it must be first rate.

:)

gt4me likes this.
  14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you very much esteemed Sahib, where do I send the Backsheesh (bribe):p.

Actually I was only involved for two articles including the cover story dossier on the 550 Maranello and my column...but plan to inject a tsunami of advice and ideas:)

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I never accept bribes, sir!

Gratuities and honoraria, however, are completely different.....;)

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I guess some bubbly at Goodwood is in order:)!

17. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    If anyone wants a copy of Cavallino Vol 1 No 1 (2nd printing) with all the pages then Marcus Nilles at V12 Books has a copy for a rather more reasonable €28! (http://en.v12books.com/article/1536) No affiliation, other than as a satisfied customer. I need to add that I received an email today saying that the V12 Books website will be closing down in two weeks time, so only a short time left to order.

18. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    My copy of the first issue of Strada has just arrived in the post a few minutes ago. So here are my first impressions bearing in mind I have only had a chance for a quick flick through so far.

Firstly, it arrived in a cardboard package, so top marks for that.

It is 222 pages, with high quality printing etc. Roughly 40 pages on the 550 Maranello (which was my main reason for purchase) and ten of those by Marc Sonnery, as he notes above (not including his column which is on a different subject). An extra bonus for having chosen a green 550 to photograph for the main feature! Beyond that, half-a-dozen articles on other specific cars, all of which look to have some depth to them (15 or so pages each). Three articles on specific races and a rally in the 1980s which look interesting too. The only immediately obvious disappointment is the couple of pages headed Bookworm which suggest books to read for more on the featured cars in the issue. The disappointment being that they aren't reviewed or anything, just basic details such as price, format and number of pages.

Overall, it looks good and I would have purchased it having now seen it. For me, the interest level of future issues will depend on the mixture of content and whether the it covers cars that interest me or not. For now, a promising start and if you think it might be of interest then probably worth a purchase to see for yourself.

19. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Not a Ferrari magazine as such but interesting Dino article in issue 2 of this new publication.
    I purchased issue 1 and enjoyed the lack of adverts and diverse coverage.

"Issue 2 of The Pit Stop once again brings a variety of little known topics to the forefront of the motorsport world.

Like Issue 1, we wanted the subject of our cover feature to be something that rightfully has its place in the history of motorsport, but is not overly well known about across the industry, and in this Issue that is the Ferrari Dino 206SP.

Throughout the 152 pages, we delve into a variety of topics both from the past and present, including:
    • Citroen 2CV Cross
    • The mental preparation for racing at the Isle of Man TT
    • Charlie Martin and her pursuit to race at Le Mans
    • Doncaster Racing's Daytona 24 Hours class-winning Porsche 996"

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I bought issue 1 and while it's nicely done, I found it to be "too British". While I understand that they have to cater to their home audience, if they want to sell worldwide, they need to find the right balance, and the first issue definitely did not do that.

gt4me and Jack-the-lad like this.
  21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Exactly my impressions of issue 1.

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Not much Ferrari content, obviously, but there IS one on the cover. Automobilsport does a nice job, and this one is worth getting:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

stevewak and Jack-the-lad like this.
  23. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I wish The Captain would write his memoirs.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's a good idea, but he's probably too busy! I don't think he'll ever retire.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  25. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Rafael L., Zeltweg and Rosey like this.