what's the best ferrari to buy for new comer?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

what's the best ferrari to buy for new comer??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by chinaboy, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    thx, ltjng

you are right!
    I am not that rich.

and I just met Gil Matthews of Australia. (I was in Melbourne last week)
    (He is an important member of the Ferrari Club Australia, and owns 6 Ferraris)
    **including one F40 and one F40 LM version, the only LM in the south side of Planet Earth

He also tells me, as many here have suggested to me, the 348 and 355 are best for Hong Kong.

So, my consideration has only come down to
    (1)Ferrari Testarossa **512TR is just too expensive for me
    (2)Ferrari 348 Spyder or 355 Spyder

I will buy a Ferrari within this year, so I still have half year to plan about it.

2. banduga

banduga Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I wish you luck Chinaboy!

I personally have a soft spot for the 355 Berlinetta. In fact, I test drove one at Car City, but when I wanted to buy it, it was sold. It was the dark blue with beige interior, my absolute favourite combination. Not that I'm unhappy with my 360, but it was a BIG step to take in terms of $$$.

Hope to see you in an F-Car by the end of the year!

3. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    carcity in happy valley....
    hmm....I think their prices are much higher than the market value.
    I will definitely buy from Ferrari (Italian motors) only.

so when will you get yours??

4. banduga

banduga Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Hong Kong
    No problem... Just a suggestion. Prices are always negotiable.

I've already got mine. Its the yellow 360 in my avatar.

5. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Get the 355 Berlinetta. You need big arms to drive the 348 because the early models don't have power steering. And in HK you need power steering, I think.

6. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    after reading many informations about F-car here
    I have decided to get a NSX-R instead now.

I have asked my friend who import Japanese cars (new & used)
    to find a used NSX-R in Japan for me....(manual drive, of course)

the reason I switched to a NSX is because I cannot possibly afford the
    "unpredictable" cost of maintainence.
    a simple oil change is HK$8000 (US$1100), anything breaks down means US$5000-10000 easily...

so I want to enjoy a sportscar that I can drive daily and trouble free.

I still love the F-car but I must only get one in later time, when I understand more of them.

**the NSX-R should arrive my house before this Christmas

7. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Testarossa if looking for the best experience for under $85,000 period. The 355 is great but for me it needed to be a Testarossa. My first was a 328 at 19 which was still in production then and so I am inclined to it over a 348 that it just looks like a Testarossa copy. For $95,000 to $120,000 a 512tr and over $120,000 to $150,000 maybe a F512M, over that then a Stradale or the 360 replacement. Thats my way of going about it but everyone is different, in reality any and I mean ANY Ferrari is a good starter as long as you can afford $$$ it, I only buuy the ones I can afford $ and afford to drive everyday.

8. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong

now it is not the price of a TR or 355 that I am concerned.
    as my purchase of the NSX-R (96-98) will be US$65000 anyway,
    not much different thant to pay US$80000 for an old TR or 355.

but I am more concerned in the maintainence of the F-car.
    which I don't think I can keep up easily.
    besides, in Hong Kong, not many people can do their mechanics in their own garage...as we just park the cars in parking lot... so everything must go back to the dealership.

9. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I see, then it is a a different situation than in the U.S. but just to let you know I had to move for some time to San Juan Puerto Rico and I took with me the 328gts, in San Juan I had the car from '92 to '99 and I can tell you that it was a very reliable car, I was never stranded ever. I found a french mechanic who knew 70s and 80s Ferraris and he was able to keep my car in top shape for only $45 an hour. So I wouldn't feel intimidated by taking a 328 to Hong Kong as I feel they are bulletproof, just buy an exellent example with low miles if you are into this model, it is not as fast as todays exotics but it is a hell of a lot of fun. They are not hard to work on and the engine does not need to come out of the car for belt changes.

By the way I used to own a NSX and I bet the NSXR is a lot better, you can't go wrong with a NSX, great damn car and I hate that I sold mine.

10. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    355 F-1 GTS

11. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    Yes,Hong Kong is in very different situation.
    labour cost is very high because the rental is high.

and then Hong Kong is very small and no place to drive fast.
    I think you can imagine how it may affect the F-car if you are always driving less than 140KM per hour, (speed limited maximum is 110KM)...
    because there are so many police camera, it is ridiculous!

the only place you can really drive them is actually going back to China, where have race tracks and very long open highway...

12. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    At least in Puerto Rico back in those years any speeding ticket was $25 dollars, in Puerto Rico the currency is U.S.A. dollars so I dont get why they were so cheap but it was the best for me. I use to go as fast as I could in every chance, getting the car to 130mph was an everyday thing if the traffic wasn't to bad. But now they have copy the Florida U.S. ticket system more or less so is no longer as fun.

13. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Oh...it's now the NSX-R you are getting...great car!!!!

I have no doubt you will enjoy the NSX-R. I love my NSX, but I traded it in for the 512TR...:)

14. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    wow....I would trade a NSX for a 512TR (my very dream car besides the F40)
    if I can afford the maintainence service.

I am working in China factory now so I have no idea about how things go with my friend.
    I will check with him about the search in Japan when I return home.
    I am exciting about it, and hopefully I can get a 1996-1998 yellow NSX, white rims, red Recaro racing seat...everything as original as it is from the official commercial....

(by the way,I heard they only made NSX-R in 1993-1995, now afterward, it is called NSX-S (even lighter than NSX-R) and NSX-S Zero (no power steering)
    I have to check about this.

15. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I sold my NSX and then bought my Testarossa.

16. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Yes, Chinaboy, the 1st version of NSX-R was produced during a short period only. If you don't know, I think it comes with no power steering, no aircon (an option, perhaps), no radio, very hard suspension set up, and comes in white only.

The Type-S and S-Zero are not type R, just a higher performance version comparing to the typical NSX. In the US, it's the Zarnadi version.

I have seen test footage of these newer NSXs being test against others, and they are indeed a very good car...able to hang on and fight with the best of them.

By the way, original Type-R comes with 3.0 liter engine, but the S and S-Zero come with 3.2 liter...

Enjoy the car....drive the nuts out of them if you can...they can take punishment you would not believe.

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    My answer is always the same....

The newest one you can afford.

DL

18. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    ok, latest situation.
    I find out more about the cost of services on a Ferrari (F355)
    the main components are only US$10000 if this is very major problem.
    so this makes more sense than the US$30000 I heard before.

regular oil change is US$1000, which makes sense, too for a F-car.

my consideration of NSX is not workable,
    as in HK, a NSX (like a 1994) would be US$40000
    and a Japan NSX is also US$40000
    however, HK import tax is 90% on used car, so making a Japan imported NSX to be US$76000, which is same price as a used 993 Turbo....

anyway, the F355 is still my consideration now.
    the only trouble to me now is the increase in prices.
    after the SARS period, the HK economy has regained some power, and the value of the used car has increase something like 20%

in 2002/2003, I can find a used F355 for US$70000
    now it is minimum US$90000-100,000 (which I think is ridiculous for a 1995 model)
    **I even found a 512TR for US$80000 in late 2002....
    but now they are over US$110,000

I will wait for the price to turn around first

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My advice is always to get a 12 cylinder Ferrari, whether it's your first or last. Life's too short to make do with only 8!