What's the Best Restoration Ever? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's the Best Restoration Ever?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by modena1_2003, Jan 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    The best resto ever is buying a number plate that measures 8 inches across and is nothing more than 12 ounces of number plate and making a car out of it. Then you take it to Cavalame-O so some pretentious twots can jerk themselves silly over stupid **** like provenance...say that whilst eating caviar. Oh, such a nice original car! LOL.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Taking a 40 year old car that has been sitting in a factory Museum for 40 years and making her road worthy requires a bit more than giving it a wash. Rust never sleeps, rubber sublimes, fluids coagulate...

3. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Interesting thread. Since some Ferraris have obtained the status of "art objects", owners feel the need to make it as perfect as humanly possible. What we get are jewels that really don't reflect a car's history, only the restorer's skill. Compare the collecting of 18th century American furniture, where the original finish is the most desireable and messing with that will cut the value of the piece by 75%, whereas the most desireable Ferraris are value enhanced by making them more than they were when leaving the factory. Very few are still around who actually know what a particular car looked like when leaving the factory.

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    But they are so much better when they are moving art aren't they? I would drive the car and enjoy it all the way.

Best restoration? I'm no expert but I know the McQueen Lusso was beautiful.

Then there is Sheehan speaking of the half life of a restoration.

Again. I would drive it. If it is on "over restored" example, so be it. Then I would lament the first rock chip. Then take it out for a spin again.

5. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon

And we all know what you DID! And WILL DO for that matter! :)

A bit of an off-chute from the restoration topic, though I think it fits. In interior design, the scheme Modern Eclectic holds very true to what allot of you are saying about classic automobiles. A modern eclectic living room may have a sooty, very old fireplace and a beautiful new leather couch, with a threadbare throw blanket all on a wood floor. The point is to, in some way, appreciate the used bits for the history they have seen and blend with them the new, and fresh.

In the preservation aspect as compared to restoration, it is the owner's effort to maintain the patina which the car has aged with, as opposed to replacing any clear coat fractures, and polish it to a finish which it probably never had in the first place.

The alignment of nuts and bolts in completely ridiculous. The factory never does this and neither did the 1950's mechanics bundle every wire in perfect symmetry. It is gilding a lily, simply put; and designing a vision and/or improving upon something that is no longer as it was. It is no longer the classic barn find that was cleaned up; it's now a 100 copy lithograph by Andy Warhol.

Best,
    Jon

6. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    ...He drops hints like bombs...

;)

Best,
    Jon

7. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Yes I saw that too.... I'm dying to see what it is, It's like waiting for the next shoe to drop..... I just gotta believe that it will be cool.....

Wating patiently.....

8. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    If a one of one, would probably dust it off and drive it to have an understanding of what it's like. Driven, parked, dented, repaired, restored, unrestored - no matter - as it'll always be THE _____ . If a one of #?, might preserve it as the time capsule it is - as a point of reference of that model going forward, as it'll always be the benchmark example of A ______ - and maybe score another example of same to peel around in.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Interesting thoughts.

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sadly, it appears as if the highest level concours, such as Pebble and Cavallino, have become more about the owners and who they hire to restore their cars than the cars themselves. Please don't misunderstand. The cars on the lawn at both places are stunningly beautiful and clearly represent the best in restoration work, as defined by their judging criteria.

However, who gets on the lawn and, more importantly, who doesn't has become very political. I'm not just talking about Ferraris here. I have been privy to private conservations regarding other cars as to who (and why) gets an invite in the first place and then gets invited back. The result has been an ever rising bar of over restoration and little petty details that mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the beauty of a particular car.

I'll just put it this way. For a small group of folks in the restoration business, having a client get on the lawn and then having them win means a lot of dough. The question, thus, becomes does "Best in Class" or "Best in Show" mean that you have the best car or that you hired the best person to restore your car?

These are just my thoughts from the peanut gallery. I'm not a player in this game and never will be. It just seems to be a shame that the focus has shifted from the cars.

Your thoughts?

Dale

11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Over-restoration is true to an extent that the original cars have become like a canvas that the restorers get to do a real life Pshop on. It is like the photo of a beautiful woman that gets cleaned up with digital (or manual) airbrushing. the skill of the airbrush artist may make the most 'perfect' picture, but then you are not really looking at a picture of a woman, but an artist's idealization of one. I enjoy looking at the artistic versions, but for my own use, a real one is the way to go.
    :)
    BT

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #37 Napolis, Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Time, Time, Time Oh what's become of me?

Dale

I've had three cars at Pebble, two won ribbons, (The Third was Display Only) and both of the judged cars were done by us and our friends (J446 by Brian Josephs very respected) not BIG name restorers.

I've found the Judges/Selection Committee at Pebble to be both friendly and knowledgeable. I think the New Preservation Class and the Lamborghini classes in 08 are an example of that.

Best
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I believe Paul's words were, "... ...See what's become of me?" ;)

Best,
    Jon

14. buster bram

buster bram Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2005
    mussolini's Garage
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Could there be more to the above !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Sean

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hmm... Judging from your pictures (sic), I'll take the original rather than the attempted restored version!

Dale

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Actually, I wasn't referring to your cars, but about another situation.

However, since you mention it. :)

The comparison between your P 3/4 that was in the pits in Laguna and a different P4 that was on the lawn at Pebble (I ain't gonna say the owner's name, but I'm sure that most of you here know who he is.) really illustrates my point. Again, don't misunderstand, the P4 was a thing of beauty; but; perhaps too beautiful. Most of you here have forgotten more about these cars than I will ever know. But, somehow, I just can't imagine a race car looking that good back in the day.

Your car, in the pits of Laguna, however, looked like it was ready to take on those damned Fords. :)

Dale

17. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    "Father time" and (in the words of Jim Varney) "Mean ol mister gravity" are kinder to some than others... That goes for cars as well as women.....

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Jim and I think everybody else, you have missunderstood me, and yes ofcourse a car that has been sitting requires mucho work.

My point is that pulling a car out of a swamp and completely remaking 80% of the body that has rusted away, and completely making the trim, fittings, etc. is a heck of a lot harder and takes skills (like you bodywork team). That impresses me.

Many Australian and New Zealand restorations are like this, and it is a labour of love and madness that can take over 10 years of somebodies life in their little shed.

Compare that to many restorations where all that has had to happen is the body repainted, well heck I know which impresses me more.

And yes ofcourse if you can find a perfect 40 year old car, you are lucky ... but it is still easier than having to remake most of the car :).

And enjoy driving her :) :)
    Pete

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    All True.

Best

20. schwaggen

schwaggen Karting

Apr 22, 2006
    Miami FL
    I think there is a degree of subjective relativity to the question that creates and interesting, if inconclusive, debate here.

The best to whom?

To all of us as a body of enthusiasts?

To me as an owner?

To the unknown future custodians of a family of cars?

The first car I restored was a really ratty 1959 Porsche 356A coupe that had belonged to my best friend's father. I did it all myself (except the paint- no booth. But everything else.) It wouldn't have made it into the parking lot at your local meet from a quality perspective, but it ran like a scalded cat, it was MY "best restoration ever" simply because of the connection I had with the car after what we went through together. And I still look back at the day I sold it and wondered what the hell I was thinking.

Pebble Beach, or Amelia or whatever, yes, the are objects that were once cars, that have become a canvas for a certain kind of perfection- I'm not sure I'd call it "restoration" in many cases. (but even that is a generalization, as certain persons here have proven that labor of love and a respect for the patina of history can be acclaimed in that forum as well)

I'm still pondering. It's an interesting question.

21. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Jim,

Spill the beans and the spare the hypothetical with that specific car youre talking about. Youve mentioned the 40-year old car in 3seperate posts so inquiring minds are wanting to know...unless you wish me to share on your behalf.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

Soon. Just waiting to confirm her coming out schedule. There's also some interesting history we discovered while cleaning her up and have that under discussion with those that may know.

Best

23. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Maybe we should create a pool and have an "educated guess" contest. I have a pretty good idea and am probably willing to even put money on it...

But I for sure don't want to spoil Jim's surprise....

He has put enough out there to let you figure it out for sure, so if you haven't figured it out yet, you aren't trying hard enough......

24. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Lotus has a Europa with like 5 miles on it at the factory. I dare not hope!

Ken

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)