What's the current premium for new delivery 430 F1 Spiders? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's the current premium for new delivery 430 F1 Spiders?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bluehinder, Jun 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #26 SDChris, Jul 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
    If you read that ad, it says in bold text that "INITIAL PRODUCTION IS SOLD OUT, PLEASE KEEP AN EYE ON OUR CONSTANTLY CHANGING INVENTORY FOR PRE-OWNED, LOW MILEAGE MODELS"

To me that means they have no cars or spots open and that it is just a informtion lead gathering ad...

+100

I know brokers that are still buying above MSRP for spiders, more then some of the avg. over talked about here

2. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Derek,
    I've reread the posts and no one has said they bought a car "right off the showroom". The posts are saying that it's possible to walk into some dealerships and still order a car for MSRP with no strings attached.

3. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Fair enough, just where at?

4. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Jeff,

Correct me if I'm wrong but there have been numerous posts (not all in this thread) on F-Chat claiming they have knowledge about new cars available at dealers for MSRP. I am just trying to politely ask someone to please prove this rumor. I don't pretend to know every dealer across the nation but I do speak to plenty of them on a regular basis and nobody has cars available for sale @ MSRP, on the showroom or recently cancelled in-bound cars. Every now and then I recieve calls from people that hear these rumors and spread it in forums such as this and take it for gospel but when I tell them differently I am the bad guy...I'm sure I am not the only dealer that is being questioned.

5. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    The last time (2-3 weeks ago) I spoke with Ferrari of Long Island they had an upcoming allocation for a 599 that they were trying to fill.

I haven't read all the posts on F-Chat so I'm just commenting on this thread. The OP asked what the premium is on new 430 F1 Spiders and at this point in the 430 production cycle the premium is zero at a lot dealers. I do remember reading a post about a California customer walking in off the street and was able to order a car. One of those being in the right place at the right time thing. That's not going to happen at Ferrari of Denver because I believe the dealership took deposits long in advance for all the 430's. So I guess the dealership is obligated by law to sell to someone on your list. Not all dealerships took advance deposits so at those dealerships I'm sure it's possible for someone to still get on the list and place an order at MSRP. As far as new cars being available on the showroom or recently canceled in-bound cars, I agree that's not going to happen. I know FNA well enough that that would be a "black eye" for the dealer and could affect future allocations. So even if an in-bound car were canceled the dealer would scramble and get that car sold to keep FNA happy.

6. 0123

0123 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004

7. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Anyone who thinks that the market is not seriously soft is sniffing glue. I am stating that I personally know of an F430 Spyder that the person who ordered it reneged on at an authorised dealer and the dealer sold the car to a friend of mine who had no previous experience with the dealer and wasn't on the list for msrp.

Anyone paying up in this market is an idiot.

Anyone who thinks I'm making up the F430 sale is an idiot as well.

9. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Jim,

I not calling your deal into question, but you are in a diffrent league, and the deals that you are talking about is certainly not the norm...Looking at what dealers are still willing to pay on the wholesale side for used cars, is still above or at MSRP and there more dealers looking then wholesaling...if the market was as soft as many would like to belive there would be no dealers looking and everybody trying to dump there cars...that is not the case,feel free to give me a call, I will show what dealers are willing to pay right now..

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Chris

The party's over and will be for years.

Any dealer paying up for anything won't be around for long.

11. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris

Jim,

That I can appricate, but what is a dealer to do, it's either buy cars for stock at the wholesale prices (since there only so many cars, these are not Mercedes) or have no stock, either way they go out of business?

12. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig

I'm sure your friend didn't have to name drop to get that car, right? ;)

13. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    +1

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Buy Low.

Sell High.

15. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    The days of $100k premiums may be behind us for a while but don't think the market for F430s is in a free-fall. I get a couple of calls EACH DAY from people looking to buy new cars.

16. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    buy high sell higher :)

17. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #42 SDChris, Jul 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008

Fair enough, but you dont have that option, if the car cost XYZ wholesale, and you get back of black a few grand to cover your COGs, you for the most part are at MSRP, you just do not have the the option to buy super low and sell for super low..the cars cost what they cost, and the retail is the retail...

I guess right now, the bigger issue is finding a dealer that truly has a car even...many shoppers here are learning this fact, like I have said often is there are waaaayyyy more cars listed for sale then dealers truly have...I hear everyday, in phone calls, PM's and emails...Dealers will keep there ad's running and make a great price, but when you call the car has either been sold, or it is for lead gather purposes...

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Nope. Had nothing to do with me nor was my name mentioned. In the UK section there's a post about a new white spyder being bought off the floor for a discount to msrp. In this section Gus mentions being offered a 200 mile spyder for msrp.
    It's a trickle that will be a stream, that will be a river, that will be a flood.

Lung

Hope U and yours are well.

Cheers!

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That works for 250 GTO's and Van Gogh's not F 430 Spyders...

:)

20. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I don't know Gus or have a firm grasp on the UK market but I was always under the impression that F430s were easier to get a hold of instead of the several year wait we have been accustomed to in N.A.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    White is rather an "off" color, unless you'd want blue stripes added, and some NART lettering...:rolleyes:

j/k......that was a beautiful car....great discussion here.....it's like any deal, right place at the right time, have the resources to move...and as my Boss tells me, as the hits me in the head with a mallet:

"Cash is King"

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #47 BigTex, Jul 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
    150 - 200 miles is the Factory testing regimin, no??
    I read that if any item needs attention, they send it back thru after resolution....

That's a brand new car.....

A FLOOD???????? Don't say THAT during hurricane season, it's like yelling 'fire' in a theatre.....;)

23. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    As the original poster, I have to comment on the above. I have had my heart set on a 430 F1 Spider for years, but was put off by 100K premiums and lack of choice. After finally deciding that I wanted one to enjoy this summer and fall, I set out to get one. I did not see any of the deals people are describing, not to say they don't exist, and finally bought one a few days ago. It is a 2008 430 Spider F1, perfect in every way, delivery miles. It is optioned exactly as if I was ordering the car. Absolutly perfect, and my first choice in color.I paid a 45K premium. Could I have found a better deal? Not for the car I wanted and I am tired of looking.

After shopping for a month, I found many of the cars advertised did not exist, were sold, and the remaining still commanded a premium.

24. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris

First Chris congrates on the new car!

Second, I get the emails and PM's everyday saying the samething, buyers are looking, calls have not slowed down, so the cars out there stay over marketed to draw in the leads...

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No question the car I was talking about was take it as it came in which wasn't what you wanted nor BTW was it what other's who had ordered and were on the list wanted either so that's why it was sold as it was. The dealer wanted a quick discrete sale and he got it. The point is at least 6 months ago the premiums were higher then they are now and I think the direction the market is heading is clear.

You got the car you wanted and that's great. Drive it in good health!