What's the deal with maranelloman? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What's the deal with maranelloman?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by matteo, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That is the problem. There are certain rules that aren't "black and white". You threaten someone, you post obscene pictures, you spam the site… then it is pretty obvious that you will get banned. It is a very tough job for me and moderators when it is just going back and forth "you are po po brains" and "my dad can beat up your dad". Users probably get away with this more than they should as we've always erred on being too nice. Usually starts with a polite warning, then a not so polite warning, then a promise, and then a 1 day ban, and then 5 bans later we're at the point of MM. What do we do now? You really think a 7 day ban is going to stop MM for good? MM and Art are still going to be at it a year from now making themselves look like fools along with every other user that participates. Users see what they do and they think it is OK.

Some of y'all are pathetic and should be ashamed that you taint our community this way. Users should stand up against it and self-police the community vs. standing by and just letting it happen or in some cases encouraging it.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Maybe we should have an F-Chat trial. Stone em, stone em, stone em, the crowd roars.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The problem with the philosophy of many in the community (most in this thread right now) is that they would stone the mods. The mods work hard to make this a tolerable environment, they're only doing it with good intentions. I'm not happy with some of the posts by matteo, Uberpower, Aureus, TexasMike, JaguarXJ6, darth550, 2000YELLOW360, whart, Jagbuff, and ralfabco. None of them are that bad, just that your posts encourage the behavior instead of trying to put a stop to it. Do you guys want this to be a good community or not?

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #54 darth550, Apr 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You rang? I think I can hear this case since Tmobileguy and Premier seem to have gone deep!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Hi Rob-

I was surprised to see myself in this list. The only time I am off-key is when I percieve someone to be bashing someone else without cause or playing off someone's feelings or emotions.

The AF joke by MM sucked, the relentless Gentry bashing sucked, the CDAllen bashing sucked, the original Lamour jokes sucked (fine now), the Art bashing sucks and to an extent the Jimmy540 bashing sucks.

I stick up for the underdog, and for common decency- sometimes foolishly. If that's criminal, I'm glad I won your list.

Nick

6. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    OK

Here's my take on it.

Art can consistently sit here here and call people "Morons", or "weight challenged", or "mentally challenged", or some other witty select rude comment, and the mods, for whatever idiotic reason, look the other way. Maybe it's because the recipients don't run to the teacher and yell "foul" .

But God forbid call Art something similar in response and watch him run crying straight to the principals office. Kinda like his name suggests: "2000YELLOW360"

Sure, Art has some poignant contributions to this forum, as does MM. But at the same time Art's adding his cute little digs directed toward a few members of Fchat because he disagrees with their POV, is immature and pathetic, but he doesn't get banned for it.

MM is a well respected, charitable, family loving man who despises people (as I do) like the aforementioned.

7. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Rob, I wasn't trying to get on anyone's bad side. When I started posting I had not read all of the rules and I did not know what flamming was? As I said this is the first chatroom I have ever been too. I will no longer participate in any childish behavior.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Its always going to be a struggle of too much or too little moderation.

Two years ago, I think the community was a lot more self policing. One downside of the community growing this large is that some people will earn temp bans. You can't avoid it.

You can institute a rule that you are temp banned for making the smallest of insults.

But you can't block someone from challenging the opinion of someone else even if it makes one or both look like an idiot. You can see my post in the CHP thread as an example.

We've all done stupid stuff before. Some people feel the need to start a thread and bring attention to it. Do you expect everyone to answer, thats too bad, now you know better's, and best of luck next time? I call a spade a spade. I stand guilty as charged.

What gets under my virtual skin is when someone (usually the same people) takes extra special steps to climb up the pillar of moral superiority when they are in the wrong. Not on my watch. :D

Sunny

9. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I do not encourage bad conduct, let alone threatening other users. But, unless i'm missing something (and i may be), the pissing contest between ARt and Dave is so well entrenched that, unless dave overtly and physically threatened Art, I can't see that anything either one could say to the other would rise above the level of the 'ambient noise' of their usual banter. I'd be happy to stop protesting on Dave's behalf if there was an overt physical threat. As to name calling, and personal attacks, that's business as usual on P & R, and is probably one of its many attractions.

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    All true in a perfect world...where a double standard doesnt exist.

DL

11. nwocorp

nwocorp Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    australia
    to be fair there is like 10 times the number of conservitives on here so if he wants to keep the fight going he has to work 10 times as hard :)

12. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    WOW, A MIRACLE, ANOTHER MELTDOWN AND IM NOT PART OF...........:)

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Rob.

One way to look at a problem is to view it like an employer would.

You have two guys working in the shop. One nags (Employee A) the other (Employee B) constantly, eventually employee B gets tired and lashes out.

If you could only get rid of one employee, which one would it be? The instigator (employee A) who will no doubt find a new whipping boy if you fire employee B, or employee B for finally having had enough and reacting.

Get rid of the instigators, and in most cases, the problem goes away. And, it's not hard to tell who starts a problem here, is it?

I pretty much stay away from P&R becuase of the bickering, cheap shots, and general bad blood that exists there. Every once in a while, I jump in, try to make a point, and then leave just as quickly because no one wants to have an exchange, they want to have a hate fest.

Just my $.02, which is probably all it's worth.

Dave M.

14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

What did I deaux ?

I actually "like" both guys. FWIW - I do not agree with Art on anything (politically). However I hope to meet Art soon. We are going to "avoid" talking politics though.

Whart is a hero. (Politically of course).

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    By no means is it a big deal if anyone is on my "list". I was just pointing out the users that weren't helping things even to the smallest degree.

I really don't know what to do. Banning and warning doesn't improve things. Most of the experienced and calloused users look forward to it and don't care. What I'm worried about is the silent majority that is turned off to FerrariChat.com because of just a couple brats. Those we won't hear much from and y'all "old timers" will jump all over them if they do say anything.

I can't run this place by myself. Please help by working with me. Welcome new users and if someone is getting out of line, it will be better if they get positive correction from the community vs. the mods taking hard action. Also don't automatically give the "old timers" free reign to say what they want and get away with anything (Bruce, you know I would work you into this one way or another. ;)). If anyone is doing something that you think is of negative value for the overall community, then PM them or post something and maybe we can take care of it efficiently and politely.

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Fair enough.

Let's start withan easy one for the fchat self police.

Is it fair to sponsors when non-sponsors sell their competing wares on FerrariChat through their posts? How about is it fair to Rob, even if it's not competing with a sponsor?

It is reasonable to solicit business from fchatters as an unsubscribed or subscribed member, if you don't pay to be a sponsor?

Sponsors? What do you think? Offendors, what do you think?

I'm not talking about the occasional offer to help a fellow fchatter at cost, or providing sources to find stuff. I'm talking about folks who buy and sell cars, parts, real estate or junk bonds for that matter, who solicit, either in public or private, Fchat members.

Good, bad, ugly, don't care?

DM

For the record. I care. I think it hurts Rob's ability to get sponsors and keep them, and I think it cheapens their value. And ultimately, if this is going to stay an affordable place to visit, happy sponsors are our best bet.

And for what Rob charges for sponsors, I say pony up, or stop peddling your wares.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    No

QUOTE=dm_n_stuff]It is reasonable to solicit business from fchatters as an unsubscribed or subscribed member, if you don't pay to be a sponsor?[/QUOTE]

Subscribed users can solicit to only other subscribed users in the private forums now and then. Like Bruce selling batteries at Christmas. Frank renting his vacation home because he isn't subscribed and he posts in the public forums isn't accepted.

18. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Rob:

My post did not condone MM's behavior nor do I question your decision - as a newbie I am not aware of the Art vs. Dave feud, just see the occasional posts by MM with off color joke or risque pictures. I am just surprised to see is a nice inividual (in peson) behave in such a way that would warrant being booted off a forum - there again anonimity of the web allows for certain freedoms that we would never allow ourselves in public! ... "Troll of the Year"...maybe it's time for him to change his License plate ;)

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bill, as usual, makes a good point. Let's break this down:

1. Dave calls Art a name because Art called Dave a name because Dave called Art a name... After a while, this stuff becomes Muzak. It is like the A/C kicking on in the background. No one notices and no one cares.

2. So something must have happened for Ryan to ban Dave. I take it from your posts Rob that you were not involved. I don't know Ryan all that well, but I don't think that he would have done this without someone griping at him.

3. The conclusion is that somebody complained to Ryan about something that Dave posted about Art. At this point, it really doesn't matter who "female dogged." The point is what Ryan is supposed to do about any complaints. Under the current system, the consequences, if any, are his call, yes?

In other words, each Moderator gets to play God and has the power to punish anyone who steps over the line, in their opinion.

Perhaps this is a bit much to lay on just one person. Afterward, everyone should always keep the number-one F-Chat mantra in their head at all times, "The Ignore Button is your friend." If somebody really bugs you (and there are bound to be one or two), just Ignore them.

But if you can't stand it and jump back into the fray, why should it be up to a Moderator to decide when the banter crosses a line?

Just a thought.

20. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    The killer is, ARt is always the first one to ***** about suppressing free speech, etc. Just because Dave said he was evading taxes in California by failing to register his car there doesn't mean Dave is wrong- in fact, apart from the loose use of the word libel by ARt, truth is a defense.

Despite appearances, i am not taking sides here. I am usually the first to call the thought police. But, unless there's another thread that led to MM's banning, I think you took their usual banter and magnified it for the occasion. Sort of reminds me of that scene: "I am shocked, shocked to learn that gambling is going on in here."

21. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Casablanca, right?

And it's too bad that Art and Dave can't just have exchanges of ideas and opinion instead of the name calling that is supposed to pass for intelligent discourse.

It's a self control issue, don't you think? Rise above, stick to issues, don't call each other names, LIKE YOU DID IN THIRD GRADE. Don't like a guy's point of view, take it apart with logic, not invective.

DM

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    A trap the mods and I fall into sometimes is we get a thread report or PM from a VERY passionate user. It is easy to be swayed without digging deeper and seeing both sides. I still think MM and Art are a problem, but it is hard to justify any actions from a micro analysis. Most times that thread report or PM is just the straw it takes to finally "execute".

On a Macro level MM and large gang, then Art and small gang is a problem that shouldn't be ignored.

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

So a Rossa guy selling Rossa guys a good deal, now and then is ok, but a subscribed member selling his stuff for profit to the Fchat public, even as a response to a post, is not?

DM

24. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Wouldn't it be great if Rob could push a permanent "ignore " button for Art and MM so they could never see each others comments??

I'd really hate to see either leave as they truly enrich the board, just not at the same time.

25. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    :)