What's the deal with maranelloman? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What's the deal with maranelloman?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by matteo, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    ...looking forward to the upcoming Frank Parker ban.... :)

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    WTF did I do? and you can't say Jimmy bashing. He does not count.

You are off my x-mas card this year Mr. :)

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    You are incorrect. I have personally banned Art recently for the attack against you.

I guess this should be cleared up. When someone is banned (whether its Art/MM or whoever), it doesn't say anything negatively about them personally. I have no doubt MM is a nice guy, from what I hear. I have never had the priviledge to meet him, but hope to one day.

People get banned for their conduct on F chat not for the things they do good/bad off the site.

:)

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That is somewhat a grey area, but just because you are subscribed doesn't mean you can make commercial posts. Sponsors pay many times what a Rossa user does for the privilege.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Ryan,

How can you not see the irony in all of this?

DL

6. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Seems to me this is the message from our cap'n--er moderator:

"Now, whut we've got heah is failya to commun'cate. Some meyan you just cain't reach--so you get whut we had heah last week. Which is the way he WONTS it. Well, he GETS it! And I don't lak it any more than you meyan."

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Afternoon Dale,

As usual I take the heat on the hardcore bans. Like Rob said, it is the mentality of the board to "stone the mods." I moderate other boards as well, and have been on many boards for quite a few years. Taking the heat on a board is nothing new, as always one's actions aren't going to be looked favorably upon by everyone.

I never have been known to want to win the popularity contest, and I assure you, I won't here.

All that said, I feel (and I know the # of certain users that will disagree), that I am fair and balanced (hey is that the Fox slogan? :D), and I don't have a melting point. THe reason I take the heat is, I am active, and I don't play favorites (regardless of what certain posters on this thread would have you believe).

@2--No one griped at me. I read all parts of the board. THat is my job here. To suggest I jump when someone says "jump," I feel is a disrespectful categorization of what I do here.

@3--Yes under the current system the call is ours. I believe Rob has moderators so that we can have our own calls. Aside from the heat we take from the "old timers" as Rob calls them, the moderation isn't that serious as some of you guys make it out to be. To reiterate Robs point, we are overly nice, and I like that about this board. Contrary to popular belief, we are not some power hungry nazi moderators. I do believe that all of us mods are certainly not perfect, but do the best of our abilities to make the right call. I certainly don't have a quick trigger finger as is evidenced by all my posts in the Mod forum, that regular users can't see.

As far as "playing God," I do take offense to that comment, especially coming from someone as reasonable as yourself.

About your point on laying all this one person, I don't think we do that. We have a mod forum, where most things are dicussed before action is taken. So we do collectively agree.

The reason it should be up to a moderator to jump into the fray is because Rob has rules and he has mods to enforce the rules. THink of it like a highway system. There is a speed limit. Cops don't give you tickets when you are doing 85 in a 70, but when you start hitting 150+ consistently in the 70, you get pulled over.

On the same note, people always complain/whine when they get a speeding ticket on here, even though they were breaking the rules ;) See the similiarity?

Lastly what seems and what is are two different things. You guys might think that Dave said one thing, and thus he was banned. That is incorrect.

I have posted the threads, the links, the warnings, and everything on the mod forum, and why they were banned.

It wasn't anything hasty.

Have a good day, Dale.

8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Ryan -

He is "playin" a young Johnny Cochran.

LOL

Ryan cops in a small Tx town, will write you up for going less than 15mph over.
    - Even Johnny could not get you off. ......and what do you know about speeding ?

9. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    "Though wise men at their end know dark is right, because their words had forked no lightning, they do not go gentle into that good night." :p

10. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Dave,

If you have something to say, please say it front of the whole board.

Summary:
    **Couple of weeks ago, I warned Art. He didn't listen. He was banned.

**On a thread this week or last week, art/mm/mike550 were all going at it. They were all warned, and they stopped.

**On a different thread Mike550/MM started attacking Art and was thus banned, because this was done specifically after the warning that was given to them.

I don't see the problem here. Art was banned when he violated the rules. Mike550/MM were banned when they violated the rules.

I fail to see the double standard. Please enlighten me.

-Your Friend
    Ryan

11. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    LOL!!!

DL

12. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Rob,
    I read with some fascination about 6 months ago (or is it ongoing?) about everyone wanting the Mods to pack their stuff and go far, far away. I had always taken the trolls to task and never had any issues with Mods, so what's the prob? Oh how naive! The more time I spent in the "community", the more I realized the only "community" that exists is those of the Mods and their chosen few. Those chosen few get away with total murder and if the Mod is in their corner, or happens to disagree with you - it's off to jail. TexasMike is new and "got it" long before I did.

The tech forum is fantastic. The model and location forums are good too. Everything else is out of hand. How can we "self police" when the Mods are part of the problem? You talk about professional people acting childish when they get in front of a computer? Maybe you should review the actions of your Moderators. If they can not separate personal opinion from mature discussion - they do not belong in that role.

I enjoy many things about this site. I spent a lot of time posting on the Racing forum about Formula 1 (my love of 40+ years). However, I do not post any more. I do not have the time, nor desire, to play the silly games. And when these issues are plan as day to the new folks, YOU have a problem! The solution is not the responsibility of those folks who try to contribute.
    Jim

13. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Korrectamoondoe

14. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Well I missed this one apparently......but all I can say in defence of someone I'd stand up for....namely MM (having jousted with Art before myself) is.....

"IF HE SAID IT WITH WHIT.....YOU MUST ACQUIT"

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You are wrong and part of the problem then.

The mods are the problem?

How can they take sides when we have 25 of them that represent the full spectrum of FerrariChat.com cliques? How can Ryan be favorable when he has equally banned parties from both sides? How in the hell are mods the problem for doing too much when they barely do anything. The moderator log will only have around 20 entries a day out of 2,500 posts and many of those are moving threads.

Not the users problem?

It most certainly is a problem for the users. This community is nothing but users and if you want the community to be good, then each and every user needs to conduct themselves in a positive manner.

You couldn't be more wrong and I challenge any other users that can agree with your entire post.

16. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The timing of my response (after yours) would suggest that is my answer. It is not. I am attempting, as you know, to keep the courtesy of confidentiality.

DL

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Did the post that got m-man banned have anything to do with allegations of a certain F-Chatter willfully avoiding paying fees to the State of California for purchase of a Ferrari?

Whatever the subject matter, was the offending post deleted?

18. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    1. BINGO! To pick and choose those you personally disagree with to warn and ban IS the problem! You are correct in that they do NOTHING to the folks who need to be reined in. Personal friend, biz aquaintance - heck I don't know why it goes on, but it does! AND it is obvious to more than just me AND obvious to new users - THAT WAS MY POINT.

2. You are also right that it is a problem for the users. FOR the users. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure the things mentioned above do not happen. I do not know the details about Mman's ban. He may have deserved it, I don't know and I don't care. But the fact that we are even having this discussion/thread and the fact that this seems to be an ongoing issue should clue you in that there may be a problem. Like users, there are some Mod's who are very good. Others smell and it should not be that hard to figure out who. To tell me that I am part of the problem is rubbish! If you think the Mod's are beyond reproach, you can't see the forest for the trees! I have always been a "positive" good-doobie and have contributed with the best intentions. Now I'm part of the problem because I am expressing my opinion about what I see as a problem on a Board I happen to like? Wow!

Jim

19. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I don't frequent all the various sections, but i don't have a problem with any of the moderators. It's not an easy job and from what i have seen when people get banned, it has usually gotten beyond acceptable behavior. I also think that, unless it's an outright bloodbath (viz, the thread about the guy who *****ed about a dealer who sold him a car with a bad VIN, and after the dust cleared, the dealer had actually pressed charges against the guy for stealing the targa roof from the car- and as far as i know, while almost everybody lined up against that user once the truth came out, nobody got banned, and he was accused of lying, being a thief, and advised of the elastic nature of his sphincter), other users are like a jury, and line up on the side of right.

P & R is a little different, and the aRt/MM feud is a ongoing saga. The standards there are also a little different- short of racist statements or physical threats against users, what passes for civility on P &R might be unacceptable elsewhere.
    If it's rough justice every once in a while- ie, MM may not have deserved this particular ban, but he's done enough to justify one anyway, that's cool. It's hard to be totally even-handed on a "micro" level all the time (to paraphrase Rob), and in the end, justice is served. There is also an aspect of deterrence to arbitrariness- i understand that, on death row in China, you are never told when they are really coming for you. It could be ten years from now, or in 5 minutes. So, everytime you hear footsteps, it could be the guy bringing you a meal, or getting ready to put a bullet in your head.

20. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    WOW! After reading these threads I've come to realize for the first time that 'maranelloman' is an ADULT!!!!!!!

21. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    LOL - an adult that still plays with cars...

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He's just big for his age.

23. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    To be clear, I don't envy the Mod's position one bit. As users, we need to make sure that our complaining doesn't tempt Rob to rid FChat of the "Off-Topic" section. That would really suck.

Also Mods:

If I might make a suggestion: "Suspended User" is a far less onerous and curiosity inspiring title for someone who is welcome back within 5-7 days than the AllanLambo stigma'd "Banned User". You should think about adding the new category.

Nick

24. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    How about you just put "User in Timeout"

25. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

LOL! Even better!

Nick