What's the deal with the V12? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's the deal with the V12?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by millemiglia, Aug 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The last Ferrari that was made by Enzo Ferrari's road car division was the Daytona (er, possibly the 365 GT/4 2+2) ... after that design and control was 100% handed over to FIAT. Hence one of the reasons the Daytona holds its value.

Actualy Pete the Boxer had the same design team as the Daytona and other 60s Ferraris and Enzo was very much involved in its development as he wanted something better than the Miura.I have a pic in the Boxer book by Nichols with Enzo in a room with 2 early test mule Boxers. The Ferrari p6 which much of the design was used for the Boxer was showed before Fiat's
    takeover in '69 along with the basic idea of the car.

The 308 was also in the design development before Fiat took over much control. The cars refered to as Fiat influenced design Ferraris began with the Mondial and 400i not that it is negative to the cars.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting that is the first time I have heard of that. Every other source quotes the Daytona as the last car developed when Enzo ran the company ... I think we could be charged with splitting hairs :D ;)

In the end the 365BB and the 308 were developed when FIAT had the company ... still some of the best Ferraris ever made!

I also am not 100% sure how much involvement Enzo really had with the road car division ... but probably more than he made out, (ie. he publically stated he could not give a toss) ... all very clever marketing, as was treating the customer like a piece of cr@p, just made them feel below his level and thus lust after his cars to feel they reached that level ... clever bastard.

Pete
    ps: Again for all those that keep on confusing the issue regarding Ferrari and v12s ... Enzo Ferrari fell in love with the concept and ALL road cars made by him had that engine. Was it the best engine? ... he could not care less, he just loved them and made them into a trademark type thing for his road cars. But we do have to remember that multi-cylinder engines were reasonably rare in Enzo's early days ... thus he probably thought it was sort of eliteist ... but undoubtably they would have been very smooth compared to most 50's engines (not with standing the American engines of the 30's and 40's ... but most of those were side valve designs).

It was all marketing IMO ... except the race track.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    atheyg, you're correct, from what I've read Enzo was more involved in the Boxer developement than any other road car because of the grudge that had developed between him and Lamborghina and Enzo wanted to top the Miura at any cost.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    But isn't the Boxer actually slower (as was the Miura) in a straight line than the Daytona? ... that is what I have read, and there always seems to be confusion regarding the Boxer's REAL top speed.

Pete

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    For some reason I remeber the f-40 being comissend by Enzo. I also remeber reading that the F-40 was supposed to be called the Enzo F-40. I could be wrong but for some reason it sticks in my head. If that is the case then it would appear that Enzo really didn't care what engine was in the car as long as it was fast.

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Ferrari was happy as long as he made money. If you read between the lines, he didn't care about customers, only cash flow.

Not that there is anything wrong with that...