What's the deal with Tilapia & Swai? | FerrariChat

What's the deal with Tilapia & Swai?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by wax, Jul 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #1 wax, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Public Service Announcement

First, an unhealthy farm-raised fish, "Tilapia", which nobody in US would give the time of day to before last Olympiad . . . is now available everywhere.

Suddenly . . .

. . . last night, I spied an Ad in paper for the putrid, hick fish, Talapia *and* another cunning one called "Swai" [See both in Ill. 1], which I suspect is recognizable by the sound it makes, as undoubtedly, sounds made by a Vietnamese fish wielding an AK-47 must be quite distinctive. So, if you're in the Seafood section generally avoiding Tilapia, look out for those sneaky commie fish, as well.

Ill. 1
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    About 6 years ago, I looked into acquiring an organic fish farming operation. I learned a fair bit about Tilapia. Without getting too deeply into it, I'd recommend people avoid Tilapia entirely. Clever marketing on their part to try and confuse consumers, IMO.

CW

3. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Tilapia is the perfect fish for farming, it can handle a wide swing in water temps, it can handle dirty water, it can live in tight conditions and it eats about anything.

To dine on it....... very little flavor .... there is a reason chef's at good restaurants don't serve it.

Want a inexpensive fresh water fish go for FRESH catfish. Lots of flavor.

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Tilapia is junk fish-food. yuck.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Costco's gonna take a hit! LOL

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I've tried it and haven't like it. I was just talking with a friend last night though who says she eats it 2-3 times a week. I've never been much of a freshwater fish person myself and much prefer something like Halibut or Cod over Trout or even Steelhead. I guess it all depends on taste!?

So what is so bad about Tilapia? Is it just a junk eating fish or what? As far as farm raised, I pretty much avoid any farm raised fish if I can. It just doesn't have the same flavor and certainly not the same nutrients.

7. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I don't eat fish, but my wife does. I cook it for her all the time. If I was going to eat fish, I would eat farm raised catfish and deep water ocean fish.

Funny thing is my father was a Marine Biologist and even has a reef named for him. He loved to eat fish, but I can't stand it!

8. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    FWIW -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia#Nutrition

^Validation of most of what you stated^ Heck, that goes for all of us.

As for me, I've had one bite each;
    Prepared with Chinese black bean sauce
    Fried

Both tasted like crap. Nether was bad due to preparation method, rather, the fish itself being ruined before it was out of the water.

9. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm going to pass this info on to my friend. She is losing weight and doing well but slower than she would like to be. The higher levels of fat in the farm raised Tilapia may be hurting more than helping her efforts!

10. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    So you recommend a bottom feeder?

12. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Go with anything wild caught vs. farmed.

13. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't eat fish, but if I did I certainly wouldn't eat Tilapia. Those were the sewer fish when we lived in Hawaii. Yuck.

14. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    seriously!! They taste like mud! YUCK

15. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Halibut, and lots of it.

16. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Had fresh halibut a couple weeks ago, first time ever. Very good.

17. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'll go against the grain & say that I like tilapia - or at the very least, the Sam's Club parmesan crusted tilapia filets.

For those who are squeamish & think of them as a junk fish or bottom feeder - I've caught plenty of catfish & bullheads & seen what was in their stomachs. Lobsters and crabs also have a pretty disgusting appetite.

If you think high fallutin' fish like Chilean sea bass (which is neither from Chile, nor a bass) or swordfish are better options - you should see some of the internal (as in living in the muscle/flesh you eat) parasites those often have. Swordfish in specific can have some very nasty worms...

18. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'll keep eating talapia too. I think it tastes just fine.

19. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    <Raising Arizona>Well, OK then.</Raising Arizona>

Just watch out for those sneaky Swai.

20. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    You could coat a shoe in parmesan, fry it and it would taste good, but to each his own. Try bluegill or crappie some time, they look similar to tilapia, but the flavor is 10x and sweet!

21. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I've eaten plenty of bluegill & crappie, sunfish as well. Have caught many thousands over the years. Yes, they can taste excellent, but they certainly aren't sold fresh or frozen where I currently live. I'll stick with the tilapia based on availability, flavor, and price.

22. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    A fishmonger friend warned me years ago that Tilapia was a trash fish. I ate it anyway as it was a good "gateway drug" for a then non fisheater like me. Little flavor of it's own and nice white firm flesh.
    Lowly tilapia brought me to appreciate other fish with much more character.

23. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Tilapia, as previously mentioned, is an easy fish to grow due to its ability to live in varying environmental conditions. This hardiness has allowed it to be the fish of choice for many fish farmers who use the fish to produce large quantities of protein at a reasonable price. Farmed fish can, and do, have varying degrees of cleanliness. Watch for these efforts to expand. Yellow perch is another fish to farm species.

24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Ok, so what's the deal with swai? Basically a Vietnamese catfish that tastes less catfishy, no? Everything I've read seems to suggest that, flavor wise, it falls somewhere between basa (mild) and regular catfish (um, catfishy).

Anyway, I ask because the wife brought some home from the market (don't know why) and I plan to cook it up and try it tonight. I'm not very fond of catfish, so I don't really know what to expect.

25. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The Report

Preparation: Filleted, seasoned, breaded, and fried.

Texture: Very soft and moist, almost mushy (typical of catfish). No flakiness whatsoever.

Taste: Very light, almost nonexistent. Very little fishiness, no catfishiness.

Verdict: Like eating catfish without the flavor of catfish. The Mrs has been instructed not to buy this again.