What's the difference in finding a barn and finding a barn find? | FerrariChat

What's the difference in finding a barn and finding a barn find?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Husker, Sep 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Now and then, I hear about some idiot finding a Ferrari in a barn. We've got lots of barns in the Texas panhandle, so I was just trying to get a handle on which ones might be good prospects to go hunting for a Ferrari. My aunt has a large barn, but the only thing with wheels I found in there was a rusted out radio flyer loaded down with hay hooks.

I can find a barn, but can I find a barn find?

2. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    The Ferrari is right there, next to that needle in a hay stack.

Urban legends are generally made of BS, for every Ferrari found in a barn there are probably 10,000 stories about it.

I'm off to watch a couple snuff films.

3. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Speaking of barn finds....

Symbolic Motor Cars restored a Ferrari (50's.. blue... race car) that was destroyed in an accident then burried. I think the destroyed chassis was sold at auction for over $500k. I just checked the website but they no longer have pics of the car. They used to show before and after pics.

I think I have the story straight. I don't think the one they resotred was the car found in Argentina. I know someone knows it much better than me and will jump in with the facts.....

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I found a ratty old garage with a not too ratty '61 porsche in it. Well actually, a buddy who only likes 'Amurican Cars" pointed me to it.

So, my friend pointed me to the barn. Dave, got any friends who want a....???

I said ME!!!

Does that count?

Paid $4K for the car.

Coming home soon.

So, yes, there are "barn find" cars out there.

DM

5. Vlad328

Vlad328 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Vladimir Zuzukin
    Given the rarity of Ferraris on the road and in garages (except in Monaco of course) I like the concept of a Ferrari in barn, as statistically it seems it multiplies the improbable odds of finding one into impossible odds. I'll bet statistically there aren't enough barns in the world to turn up one Ferrari. I'd recommend looking in people's garages first.

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yep. I found a 400GT that hasn't driven since the late 70's, still sitting in a dry garage, widow will not sell, but her kids will.

7. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    bought an old harley out of a chicken coop.