What's the fuss about same sex marriages? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's the fuss about same sex marriages?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JimSchad, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Because people are horny. Don't tell me watching to 2 hot girls going at it is not a turn on?! I also read somewhere the human species is the only know species to have sex for fun, not to recreate.

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dolphins and humans are the only species that have sex for recreation...

3. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

why are we so obsessed with sex? THat is all anyone sees in a gay realtionship.

Why do we care about pam and tommy lee or paris hilton or pres clinton or rob lowe? we all have sex so why is it so fascinating?

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That's what we've done to ourselves... It's entertaining... We're a culture that thrives on dumbing ourselves down with overwhelming amounts of senseless entertainment...

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I wish I knew. I'm smart about some things, but I can't figure this out. It's always on the mind. I love "girl watching", for the most part viewing their physiology that makes them good breeding material to propagate my seeds. Heck, even the curves of the Ferrari shape bring up thoughts of sex. I can't escape the thoughts! :rolleyes:

6. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    counter point: I heard that some european countires that have gay "marrige" have faced problems becuse of it. Can someone who knows elaborate on the matter?

Luke.

7. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Wanna join my club? :)

Luke.

8. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Why is it discrediting the marriage institution? These are two people (men or women) that love each other, identify with each other and most importantly value each other enough that they are going to fight this battle to be together emotionally, mentally, physically and publicly. After all, I do believe marriage is about love right? You tell me, which is love and which is a joke. Two people that have been together for years, shared their lives together, but not legally because society says they shouldn't be together, but for twenty years now, have stuck together...or Britney Spears and her "hubby" for a day?

9. ART360

ART360 Guest

State sanctioned "Civil Unions" do not provide the same status at that of a marriage. Because it doesn't provide that same status, people are deprived of various federal rights. A sample would be: Social Security, Income Tax benefits, etc.

That is the problem in a nut shell.

Art

10. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Then the Government needs a new name for "marriage" so people don't freak out.

It then needs to extend this to all pepeole and leave "marriage" up to the church.

That's the solution in a nutshell. :)

Luke.

11. cochise

cochise Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dempsey Chavis
    Art just hit the nail on the head. I don't think the gays/lesbians are seeking anything different from what the heteros are receiving in the form of legal /medical benefits. And civil union status won't accomplish that outside the boundaries of the state where they were issued. I think Bill Maher was correct last night (on Hardball w/Chris Mathews) when he said the people won't get serious about the real election issues as long as we continue to be distracted by the gay marriage thing. Let's move on .

12. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003

And that's the crux of the issue. It all comes down to $$$$$.

In fact I support the gay marriage issue for just this reason. I'll be able to marry my child( tell me it wasn't genetic) and pass on all my possesions tax free when I die. I'll also "marry" my dog("tell me its not natural") so he can get on the company health insurance. I'll be "married" to 7 or 8 people so we can all get certain finiancial windfalls.

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

There's the legal/employer issue. Many employers, especially small business owners, object to gay marriage because it will force them to adjust their thinking on who gets "Family" medical coverage or leave. I've never restricted an employee from getting family coverage due to sexual orientation. I just take a don't ask approach, as it is none of my business.

Then there is the completely separate moral issue.Is "being gay wrong" and if it is, should gay people be granted the same rights and protections as non-gay people. And at least from my narrow point of view, sure they should have the same rights and protections as everyone else.

And there is the constitutional issue. Was the United States Constitution designed to limit or grant rights? The Constitutional amendments were written to protect and preserve rights, not limit them. With the exception of the 18th Amendment (Prohibition) and we all know how successful that was. I don't think a constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman protects the rights of that man and woman, it abridges the rights of others who do not fit into that narrow definition.

Just my opinion, but those seem to me to be the issues.

14. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon
    I seam to be bombarded with people who disagree with me. Some take it personally like the attack I have received from nno. The fact is I am not going to get anywhere with this argument. I am not going to change your beliefs no matter what I say. And with people obviously wanting to turn this into a crusade I respectfully take myself out of this fight, which should have, been a discussion.

It is a sad fact the people who make themselves out to be tolerant of just about everyone can not be tolerant of my disagreement.

15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Geez, this may be just to dopey to respond to, but I have to. Can't marry your kid, incest you know, can't marry your dog, bestiality is a no-no, and can't marry 7 or 8 people, there's that whole bigamy, poligamy thing going on. There are all perfectly appropriate state and federal laws on the books to prohibit these types of behaviors.

And, I'm thinking your entire response gets way off target from where this started and was intended to be, and is just self serving drivel.

Have a good one.

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

You are absolutely allowed your opinion. I don't think I've said anything to disrespect you personally. There are plenty of folks out there who will. Nor is this a crusade for me. It's simply a matter of what is in play on the question.

We are allowed to disagree with your opinion. As I'm sure many do.

17. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Seems to me to many people have to little to worry about,if 2 people want to go through a ceremony and call it marriage who am I or anyone else to either criticise or condemn it?Personally if it does no harm to me or others I have no problem with it.
    Best regards
    Dave McGuire

18. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    From your choice of words you obviously believe you are right.
    We are not going to change your mind and you will not change ours.

Besides, if this was the 1300's the world is flat and I ~know~ this to be right. (Think about it.)

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Dave -- You just pointed out why it isn't about "marriage"/commitment at all -- it's about getting health insurance benefits. IMO whether you choose to live as a single or married (either to the same or different sex) the costs for health insurance should be the same (i.e., two married people should pay 2X for health insurance what a single person pays). The same for taxes -- being married or not shouldn't affect your taxes owed.

20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Attack? By posting to thread regarding a sensitive political matter you open yourself up for attack. Being attacked is what you should expect. There's no excuse either way for this so long as you can back up what you say, or at least make a valid argument. Whether it is logical and just or not doesn't matter, so long as you retract from blanketing from a sample that is unknown.

e.g. - You state "Furthermore every gay person I have ever met has a very warped since of reality". Now, we do not know what your sample is. It could be one person, it could be two. Heck, it could be 200 people which are your closest friends and family members. You might not know any gay people at all, or have a brother that is gay and is the outcase of the family.

Warped sense of reality is a difficult thing to interpret as well, especially not knowing you personally. To me, if someone has a warped sense of realtiy - damn, I would love to have coffee with that person because they would probably be interesting. But maybe that's just how a person cops with being gay, or maybe not. Either way, lack of data in your opinion leaves a weak argument.

That's the problem. I really wish you would. This isn't to get you riled up, stirred up and pissed off at everyone. I, for one, would like to know what you are talking about.

This last note really cracks me up. And if you consider this an attack, by all means, call it that. Finishing up your post with a self-proclaimed holier-than-thou individual statement like this leaves you open for being attacked. Here's my response for you... psychology 101, I'll take a quote from Hermann Hesse: If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isnt part of ourselves doesnt disturb us.

21. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    /end rant

Back on topic. Interesting thread and I didn't think about the critical mass issue with allowing gay marriages which would reduce the increase in recreation. It might, then again it might not. Because if they aren't married, then they still cannot have kids as life partners. So that might not be too great of an argument, but I dig it.

22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Steve. 100% right. But, that's not the way it works. Married costs more than 2x the single rate, but married with 2 kids costs the same as married with 10 kids.

I'm working on my taxes right now, and my accountant says that filing married will save me about $10K instead of filing married separately. Just a loophole in the rates, I guess. Fortunately, I am married and can file that way.

Lots of little arcane things in the laws and rates that help to make the argument for simple math. 2 people pay twice as much, 3 pay three, etc.

But it doesn't work that way, at least not yet.

23. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    As far as insurance rates go, trust me, there must be stats that show that two married people are less likely to get sick than two single people. If that wasn't the case, the insurance companies certainly would bill married rates as 2 times the single rate. But they don't so married couples must be healthier. (I know anecdotally that i'm healthier now that i'm married, if only because my wife is more interested in healthy food than i would be or used to be as a single guy).

Now they will need to overtime develop appropriate rates for two homosexuals and determine if their health risks are lower than if they were still single. I suspect they will be.

Society can deal with it and it is time to let gays marry. Or if that term bothers too many people, then call it a civil union but make it a federal civil union with the exact same legal rights as a marriage.

24. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    If you had asked me this question 25 years ago I would have had a big problem with it. I was also brought up to believe that being gay was a sin and they are sub human people.Today I have gay ,male and female friends that are great people, in most cases way more real inside than most of my straight friends will ever be.I believe they have the same right I have as women lover to be married.

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Not correct; Bonobos the second closest relative of Humans (Chimps are first) have an entire society organized around sex. They use sex for favors, sex for punishment, sex for reward, sex for recreation....homo-hetero: adult-child: with-without toys,...