What’s the latest on additional Pista allocations? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

What’s the latest on additional Pista allocations?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Thecadster, Apr 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    No where did Ferrari say it was the same motor. It could very well be....or they are allowing F8 interested buyers to assume its the same...

2. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    agree.....or do they not want to upset Pista buyers by confirming it's the same?

(Not that I think there's a reason for any Pista owner to be upset....I'd still take one over the F8, although frankly I prefer the F8's hood over the Pistas.)

Jim

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There's an interesting articke about the F8 in the latest issue of TOFM; I read it rapidly but what I understood is that the F8 engine is derived from the Pista engine and not exactly the same due to ever changing emissions requirements. There is no word of it being less evolved though.

4. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    its not the same....

458-Italia likes this.
  5. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I was speaking with a West Coast dealer that was trying to get me to order a Lusso and i said the depreciation is a killer. He then offered a Pista allocation offset the deprecation if I order a Lusso (I already have a Pista on order) I asked, "thought no more Pista allocations?" he responded, true but the dealership has held back a few allocations they received some time ago for "special situations"

DRYHOLE and of2worlds like this.
  6. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    Same here. A friend just ordered his 2020 Pista this week straight at the dealership without any Ferrari history or having to buy additional cars. Seems like production is going well and fast in Italy.

DRYHOLE likes this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I have a friend who just strolled into the local dealer here, no Ferrari history, only wanted to look, kick a few tyres, and was offered a Pista at a discount. Seems the Geneva stock has got out of hand.

markcs, Shack and 09Scuderia like this.
  8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    You cannot be serious!

9. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    He's not. that is called sarcasm. It is obviously much easier to get a car in Europe compared to the US if you know the right people.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Switzerland?

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Most Ferrari people are smart, they didn't get where they are by being stupid. Ferrari is smarter than most Ferrari people though with their 1 car less than demand and other marketing techniques. When Ferrari first started doing special editions like the CS, Scud, Barchetta, and Superamerica they were more truly special editions. The current approach "special" doesn't seem to apply to the cars anymore, it is applying more and more to those that buy them. Special that they will buy a handful of undesired Ferraris, special that they will put deposits down years ahead, special that they will wait 2-3 years on their delivery when the market is already full of cars over MSRP, special that by the time they get their car the next iteration of the model (Pista vs. F8) will already be taking limelight away. Special edition no longer refers to the car, there were more special editions at our local dealer show a few weeks ago than regular editions.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

DRYHOLE, Solid State, wrs and 3 others like this.
  12. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Welllll, I get my nicely spec ‘ed 488 Spyder in two weeks and a beautifully over spec’ed (my fault) Pista (which I think is the prettiest Ferrari built in 30 years) in October. So , yeah, I’m feeling pretty damn special Rob! ;)

Shack, rob lay and of2worlds like this.
  13. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just to be clear Rob, are you somehow saying the Pista isn’t a “special” car compared to Ferrari’s other offerings? Have you actually seen one in person?

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    :D You'll be great on the market buying MSRP and they're still selling nicely over MSRP. People that play the game right (only 3-4 at each dealership) can still do OK. The false marketing and misconception is you can be 10-20 deep on the list and still do OK anymore.

DRYHOLE likes this.
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It is a VERY special engineered car. It ISN'T a rare car in Ferrari or even exotic terms.

DRYHOLE and Boomhauer like this.
  16. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

And you base that on??? So if 2500 cars are built world wide and only 1000 are brough state side that isn't rare? huh? So I guess the F40 isn't rare? "Rare" to me is " I haven't seen one in months on the road". You get caught up in the "rare must mean its sold below xxxx units" argument.

How many Pistas have you seen on the road? How many Speciales? How many Challenge Stradales? How many Ford GT's? I personally haven't seen ONE in the last 6 months on the road (besides mine of course). I would call that "rare". You can use your own definition of course but "rare" to me at least means you never see them except at car shows.

458-Italia, Shack, PJxxx and 2 others like this.
  17. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Ah! Ok now we are talking "economic rare". You are correct in this assumption as to ROI. But anyone knows that exotic cars are a terrible investment below the ones that cost 3 million each. Who buys a modern Ferrari for investment purposes anyway? Thats just a way to justify it to the significant other.....

JimPVB, Shack, rob lay and 2 others like this.
  18. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    By raising the prices on the Pista's Ferrari did seem to create a bit of a backlash from longtime Ferrari folks who couldn't or wouldn't pay the price. I completely understand why they would feel this way.

19. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    The ultimate "middle finger" to customers is the Porsche GT3RS (and IMO GT2RS) game. The frenzy around 991.1 3RS was insane. Last na GT3RS, bla bla bla and as we have seen all utter BS. At least Ferrari does not play Porsche games to the same degree.

tekaefixe, markcs and sampelligrino like this.
  20. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    I was offered a Pista at Starbucks yesterday ???????
    Decided on just a flat white 2 sugars

dmark1 and Shadowfax like this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #121 Shadowfax, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    When it comes to Pista, everyone has a friend with a good story. ;)

Have you heard the new 3 being tested at the ring? Sounds like it has a whistle to me shack. So I think i'm on safe ground with both my 2 and 3 for a while yet. And at least with Porsche the customers know the score with the model cycles and what to expect when they part with the hard earned, unlike Ferrari who dropped an F8 on top of its 488 and Pista customers toes. I know it'll be another 7 years before the next Gt2 surfaces. Ferrari? Who knows what's next after their latest performance.....least of all what to believe?

Gotta be honest, as much as Pista is a great looking car - and im sure amazing to drive - who knows what will happen with that resale value wise. Production numbers are relevant as is the longevity of the performance credentials. Prior to F8, Pista was wearing the last of the non electric V8 turbo moniker - limited production blah blah. Word is Pista and F8's performance is much the same yet F8 is a lot cheaper and it wears that tag of being the last v8 non hybrid (for now). Imagine if there was an F8 Pista ....I mean how would you know now what to expect? I think the game has changed forever now and the market for these cars is only so big at this price point. Unfortunately, the more SV they make the less they will be worth used....goes without saying.

And with the current Pista allocations, If some are being now made available to those who didnt buy lusso or 488 it would only be because some of those customers yet to receive their Pista orders have switched to F8 - possibly also due to the changeover value of their 488's increasing substantially....again because of F8. That's my take on it.

22. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Fact is Porsche made 6000+ GT3RS 991.1 and unlimited 3RS 991.2's are available. There are plenty 2RS's available too. Porsche "suckered" everyone and will do a 3RS 992 na as well. I for one will play a wait and see with them :)

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #123 Shadowfax, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    I wouldn't say plenty. The few 2rs's that are currently available have been sitting for a while now at the current a$k and come about mainly due to the speculators recognizing their chances of making an earn is now zero in the present market conditions and are trying to get out with their shirt on....which will never happen now. These guys never had the money to begin with and only bought the car using finance - overstretching themselves financially thinking they were going to make a bomb. Now they are screwed. Good! Its actually not a bad thing to see the speculators take a hit - that way they may think twice next time instead of inflating the production numbers. Let's face it who in their right mind would even consider selling a 2rs if they bought it with intentions to own and use. No one. The car is simply too good to drive. The same is with Pista. Porsche and Ferrari saw the opportunity of making money out of the speculators and the legitimate owners unfortunately were made to pay a higher price to get what they really wanted. Let's just hope it doesn't continue.

And the Porsche buyers who got suckered were the ones who bought the car to sell instead of drive. The drivers never got suckered one bit. I know whatever I lose on my 2 and/ or 3 will be far less that what I lose on my 488 - and probably Pista - and I can at least put mileage on them and still have buyers lining up willing to buy them at good $ with 30,000kms plus on the odo. With a Ferrari, from what I can see with the used car odos is most must be too scared to use it because of the D factor - else what did they buy it for? To look at? Pose off in? Certainly doesn't appear to be much driving going on looking at most of the odos.

Spider68 likes this.
  24. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Shadow - you make some good points and while I don't agree on your Ferrari summary I do agree on speculators. Anyway Porsche have got caught out now and IMO volumes will take a hit as speculators will dry out. So good for people who want a car to drive and a GT Porsche specifically.

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Porsche and Ferrari never got caught out. The buyers/speculators did. The volumes need to take a hit and production will eventually retreat in accordance with the speculators diminishing - either that the new prices will be less so more can afford to buy, use and hold. Something will have to give in Porsche and Ferrari HQ. The real market - not including speculators - willing to pay high prices to drive and hold is not nearly as big as the current production numbers.