whats the next ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

whats the next ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Nov 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #126 vrsurgeon, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Not to derail thread... but do me a favor and peruse cars.com, autotrader, eBay.com, etc. etc. and explain to me.. explain to the world how the DB9, Vantages, and the like that were once $250k cars.. can now be had for $60k and under. For the V8 Vantages (that I did entertain in lieu of my 360 before I bought it) just tell everyone that they need to bump their ask prices from upper $30's to whatever you *think* they're worth. I'm not an AM man admittedly. I have no desire to consider the Valkyrie or any other new Aston product. If I was to spend millions on a "one-0ff" I'd buy a LaFerrari.

And yes, give the DB11 5 years.. you'll be able to buy one for under $80k USD. Even if nobody knows what the good looking car is when you drive by...

edit: and the Tarif.. if I want one I'm sure I'll be able to buy one for about the $95k asking price of this Laguna in a couple decades if so inclined.. (https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/aston-martin/lagonda/1975806.html)

2. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I recently took a day off and drove 2 hours away from me to go see a really nice 12k mile vanquish asking $55k. I figured it was cheap and I always wanted one lets add it, after a few minutes of sitting in it and driving it, there is no wondering why they're $50k cars now down from $250k while their competition from the time the 575 is still double the price. I think the vanquish looks better on the outside than the 575, but on the inside and in terms of driving, the 575 was light years better car, the vanquish was just pitiful in every department but looks with that said at $50k or so I dont think you can go wrong in terms of this category of cars to appreciate next.

LARRYH likes this.
  3. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I have no idea what is going to happen in the next 5 years, but there are so many cars to own.
    Rally iconic older stuff, from 166mm onwards... tdf, swb, 275s of all sorts, all the great manual v12s Daytonas, 512s etc, full sets of things, all the supercars, the v8 specials starting with the amazing 360CS which is faster and rarer than an F40. Anything modern and fabulous, F12tdf and then the future stuff, Monza, 812 spider, pista, pista spider. So much to buy. When is the next lottery drawing?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I think in general you wont go wrong buying any 90s/2000s cars that are in superb shape bc the reality is there aren't many. A 1k mile S2000 just sold on BAT for $50,000 thats a car whose MSRP was $30k or so when it was released. Look at the values low mile Mazda Rx-7 cars are bringing in. Toyota Supra Turbos with low miles are $100k cars. 500E Mercedes with low miles are $100k now. I think the collectors will always pay more for the low mile cars out there and the next wave is literally anything built in 90s and early 2000s thats in super shape. Even the 70s and 80s cars are cooling off now that those guys have already had their cars, I've seen a couple 560SL and 280SL mercedes that would've got huge numbers 3-4 years ago getting alot less recently.

F456M and imahorse like this.
  5. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    1. Will certain (core historic) cars remain firm/increase in the next 5 years? Yes. The market is global, mobile web based technology has allowed unprecedented real time reach at scale, uncertainty means flight to hardcore tangible assets. But I don’t think any Ferrari will “appreciate significantly” in the next 5 years.

2. QE has evaporated. What is fragile? The market went nuts from late 2012 through late 2015. Many boats were floated, some to silly levels. Many new buyers entered but were not enthusiasts, instead they financed purchases because money was cheap and the only way was up. One model for example was easily sub 100K in 2011. By 2015 it was well over 300K. It’s not a great Ferrari to drive and many were built. Those buying it post 2013 purely for investment will be feeling queasy now. In 5 years time they might feel they had wished they had exited now.

3. What about the continuous wave of Limited Editions? I think the last great value (to the original owner) LE was the F12tdf. Current prices on it may soften but it is arguably one of the finest V12 GT Ferrari ever made. Stunning too. Today however LE’s are popping up everywhere. Every luxury car maker are making LE variants, and with increasing frequency. Price points (fully specced) are flying up for obvious juicy margin reasons. Add in the new wave of LE cars based on old cars and the market is beginning to swarm with LE. Not great for future values for anything other than the very best.

-K1-, vrsurgeon, nmcclure and 5 others like this.
  6. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Is number 2 a Dino?

The limited edition stuff is so forced and artificial. Some of the rarest cars are rare not because they were limited edition but because not many people bought them at the time. Look at the L-88 Corvette. They made 216 total (Even though I think Bloomington has Gold certified more than that, another sore subject.) They are rare, they were not a "Limited edition" model. But only 216 people ordered them over 3 years.

Also, I have never seen so many people buying cars and just storing them like they are bottles of wine. When that LaFerrari hit BaT with less than 100 miles I thought Wow, this is special. Not a market I normally follow so I looked it up and it seems like there were at least half-a-dozen others with similar mileage.

When I was growing up mothballing an interesting model was an oddity, now it is a common occurence. I wish Ferrari would change to an auction system for new car sales.

Every month auction off VIN's for each model they will be building and then if you win you spec it how you like. That will kill the flippers and the sleazy dealers. Ferrari will also pick up a lot of money they are presently leaving on the table.

Camlet1 likes this.
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    512 BBi's are remarkably cheap. Love the 550 but higher priced ones have not been selling for a very long time. Only ones that seem to shift reasonably quickly in Europe are the ones €90K, even then most take a while.

+1. Take the V8TT out of the F40 and replace with a load of batteries. See how many will want the F40E then? The answer is zero, and only people saying they do want one are lunatics escaped from the asylum or die hard greenies/Teslemmings who say anything but don't actually follow through with it.

F456M likes this.
  8. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I couldn't possibly comment on which model but perhaps you're a mind-reader in your spare time? Fair point on LE cars being LE only because of demand, a little like the crazy premium for a manual 599 GTB (premium based on scarcity not optimized engineering).

9. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    holy hell are any of you watching whats going on in france right now? The worst riots in 50 years all over climate change regulation and higher taxes to pay for global warming. The carbon tax riots? LOL we're always told as americans how europeans are just so much more progressive than us and we need to follow them on healthcare and other matters.....looks like the french are tired of paying big money to stop global warming. I'd imagine if we were ever hit with the same insane taxes we'd be angry too

Stuff like this is exactly why I have faith in good old oil now and in the future, at the end of the day we love the cheapest, most effective path to a finish line and that is the internal combustion engine. Please don't lose faith in gasoline powered cars men they're not going anywhere anytime soon

Its not shocking the people today aren't interested in an egregious tax on something that may or may not affect their descendants in a few hundred years at earliest.Guess the French would rather save money than prevent another ice age? Go figure. Their president Macron has practically told a bunch of truck drivers who now can’t work - “let them eat cake.” These riots are not shocking. They trashed paris yesterday. Its hilarious to me that the guillotine was invented by these peoples ancestors in a eerily similar manner, pissed off by the rich and their habit of placing the cost of their pet vanity projects on to a bunch of unemployed hungry people.

Fascinating times we live in with the gas powered engine and the global warming apologists clashing. The french demonstrations this weekend further emphasizes my bullishness on gas powered ferraris appreciating and going nowhere anytime soon.

Bas and F456M like this.
  10. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Gee, you P&R guys just can't help yourselves. I bet you've never been wrong about anything, ever...….

11. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I'd say the 360 Modena especially the 6speed manual, they seem to be really picking up some steam lately & are in a price range where many buyers are coming in therefore driving the prices up

Caphill and G. Pepper like this.
  12. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Well we were just discussing how EV's are cool now bc they're cheap to operate right now, what happens when thats not the case? French people are burning down the country bc gasoline is costing more and more to operate their vehicles much like our electricity would if we stress our grid adding tons of EV's. We're blessed to have so much cheap oil here in the US right now. Our shale producers are leaner than ever and can be profitable at $30 oil now and OPEC cannot work at those levels.

To think we're going to mass switch to EV's right now while we have more domestic gas than ever and it is also cheaper than ever while a switch to EV's would raise prices of electricty for everyone seems silly when you look at what is going on in france now. The people there are clearly saying global warming, whether fact or fiction, is a distant second to their wallets. This thread was about which Ferraris would appreciate and it veered off topic bc some people mentioned the banning of gas engines......thats how we got off topic....the answer is all ferraris will appreciate bc they're not going extinct.

F456M likes this.
  13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Exactly. Ferrari cars are pieces of art. An emotional rolling full functioning car with great values and more or less like a machine of eternity! Alot more worth in everyday life than a Rembrandt hanging on the wall in your living room.

The frensh people might have the French revolution in 1789 in fresh memory. In fact, there is no reason that a few guys in the guvernement should decide what millions of people in everyday life would care about. In all over Europe the gas is about 3x the price compared to the US. We pay 25-60% in income tax, and many roads have high tolls. Where I live, just outside Oslo, the toll to get into Oslo (and the trip takes about six minutes) is 11 dollar each time. And in addition to that the registration plate cost about 70% of the car when it leaves the factory. A new GTC4 Lusso with some options is around 500.000 dollar here. America is a total paradise when it comes to cars and gas! I hope the cost of gas goes down.

Back to topic. Don’t fortet that investing in cars, or putting your assets in cars is a relatively modern trend. With 8 billion people on this globe, there are a LOT of people looking into this market. I believe sosial media and especially Instagram is a place which these cars really advertize themselves for future newbees in the classic car market. Yes, my opinion is that the 550 can double one more time the next five years. Look at all the Porsche 911s.... they all go up up up! A LOT of people who had Porsches previously because German cars were of higher precision and reliability than Italian cars, are now buying modern Ferraris because the quality is much better now than before and that the running costs are much lower than before. I am a bit optimistic like I have been all my life but in my honest opinion the 550 must go much higher. It will pass the 575 if it has not done it already because it is the ”original” Maranello. Just like the Countach, the first series LP400 is worth about double compared to the later ones. And the 550 styling is perfect from the first car that was build and they didn’t change one thing in terms of design in its 4-5 year production. I can’t think of a better looking GT car of modern years (22 years old now!). And the torque from 3-400 rpm. which is less than the idle of 1050 rps. is really impressive. Amen
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11, F355 Fan 82 and Bas like this.
  14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The EV crowd are doing their utmost best to ''prove'' how ''dirty'' ICE cars are. Governments, especially European ones, are giving all sorts of incentives to make EV's as cheap as possible. Reminds me very much of the diesel era....we where all told diesel was the savior, diesel was made nice and cheap. I didn't buy that then. Then the governments woke up and found out the diesels they tried so hard to force us into where actually not that clean at all and now the people that have them, are holding the bag: An unsellable, expensive, paper weight. Some cities don't even allow diesels anymore!

The same will happen with EV's. They're not nearly as clean as we're led to believe. Petrol cars have become incredibly efficient in recent years. Do the ''we're all running out of oil in 50 years'' calculators factoring that in? No. Do those same calculators factor in the new oil found? No. It's all fear mongering.

If someone wants to drive an EV, fine. But don't force me into one. EV owners are much like vegans. They'll tell you about it almost immediately, they'll tell you how great it is, and how anyone not conforming to their thoughts is the spawn of satan. They're all brainwashed toads.

F456M and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  15. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    70% for the plate? and we have some americans unhappy with 6-7% sales tax so they register exotics in montana for no taxes lol

F456M likes this.
  16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sometimes governments can make good decisions. Take for example the Government Pension Fund of Norway, one Trillion dollars producing income for everyone. It's the exact opposite of what we have here in the US. We might have very low costs, but it's because the items are all based on borrowed money. That Surplus in the Pension fund, that's made of the Deficit of other countries. Sooner or later that will come to pass and costs will have to increase in this country. Specifically to sustain our retirement system and medical spending.

As far as the 550. There are many cars that have on paper many reasons they *should* be worth a lot of money. However, emotional purchases guide worth with the sports car market. Wait until all the old guys that bought 911's to relive their 20's HAVE to sell them. There is no reason the 911 market should have risen so far aside from it is the quintessential Porsche. The only rub I see with the 550 is it is not the quintessential Ferrari. As a very competent GT, it's not a midengine red sports car.

F456M likes this.
  17. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    BOKE and G. Pepper like this.
  18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Especially when under 100k 5 -6 years ago

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Gorgeous.

I agree the 550 has room to move. And I will say something more:blue cars will appreciate! Because blue is the color of the sky, and the sky is the limit my friends :)

-K1- and F456M like this.
  20. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Im not sure if you're joking but if not this quote is ironic bc a 550 is a manual, front engine,grand touring, 12 cylinder ferrari which is actually THE QUINTESSENTIAL FERRARI and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know the history of the brand. Enzo was so embarrassed of the smaller engine, mid engine dino that he wouldn't even put the ferrari logo on it.......

The mid engine cars are awesome, but quintessential Ferrari in the eyes of the founder they are not, to enzo a real ferrari had 12 cylinders in the front.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Times are a changin' my friend and while I understand the sentiment, whenever and wherever I go with the car the first thing people say is "Magnum PI"! They don't say "Wow that car reminds me of the car that Ingrid Bergman drove back in the day". The only reference that they have for an old Ferrari is the "Record Prices" they get at auction. That you type above the phrase "which is actually" says it all. Everyone who sees my 360 knows it "is" a Ferrari. It fits the Magnum PI paradigm which "is" Ferrari post 1980, followed by Miami Vice Testarossa in the 1980s.

My point is, I didn't know the history of the brand before I bought my 360. I didn't even know the models apart from one another. But, when the gentleman in the Magnum PI little red car with the loud exhaust drove by downtown I KNEW it was a Ferrari.

Caeruleus11 and Texas Forever like this.
  22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Well, you are both right; the classic Ferrari is a front engine V12, but since Magnum PI, and Miami Vice, what the public agrees on is that a "real" Ferrari has the engine in the back, even though Miami Vice did include a Daytona replicar.

Caeruleus11 and F456M like this.
  23. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It is a very complicated formula where you need to fill in the weight, the CO2 per kilometer, the horsepower and the age. New cars are 40-80% tax, and electric cars are totally tax free. Tesla has sold 30.000 cars in Norway in just 4-5 years and we are 5 million total in the country. The truth in Norway is that the electric cars are much more environmentally friendly, but in Sweden which is our nabour country, normal cars have only 25% VAT (value added tax) and the truth there is that the electric cars are less environmentally friendly than gas/diesel cars. So nobody buy them as they are also quite expencive to buy. Pretty interesting huh? The case is that the truth can not come up un daylight because then the huge taxes 11 billion dollars per year is a true freaud to the people on behalf of the government. All Swedes understand this, but Norwegians can’t admit to be fooled for fourty years! And Norway has a oil investment asset of about 1.100 billion dollars cash in the bank. That is why I hate the system. And love the Swedish system.

F355 Fan 82 and G. Pepper like this.
  24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Haha, and that is why I have four blue cars!

Caphill and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I spent a few months in Sweden back in 1983. During the middle of summer. I'm going to hazard, "midsomerkransen" as what the Swedes called it. One of the best times I ever had in my life.

F456M likes this.