What's this 70 454 Chevelle Re-Creation worth? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

What's this 70 454 Chevelle Re-Creation worth?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by REMIX, Oct 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#101 REMIX, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks, Colin. Take a close look at the last set of photos:

I replaced the amber front lenses with clear NOS lenses last month - was VERY pricey and cleans up the front of the car. Like I said, it's visually indistinguishable from a real SS car on the outside now.

The original build sheet says it was originally a Malibu 307 / 200hp bench seat car painted in Misty Turquoise. No column shift, it's a 4 on the floor Hurst M22. Car came without A/C and with the black top originally. I have reason to believe this top is the original top as are the seat coverings and carpet. I replaced the original top rail weatherstripping a few weeks back and noticed the vinyl from the top wrapped completely under and around the original weatherstripping and goop that was securing it.

I've yet to look into installing a cowl induction kit. I need to visit a body shop familiar with this car because the hood needs to be cut perfectly for it to fit. I don't know if I want it repainted just now, so I will only do it if a qualified body guy tells me it can be done without repainting the entire hood.

I do not drive this car much - it is turning into a garage queen with the serious amount of time I have into detailing it. It's now unbelievably clean. I put a coat of Meguiars M07 Show Glaze on it yesterday and sealed that with a coat of NXT V2. I pulled all the screws out of the trim and cleaned underneath those, too. I also went all out on the decals and getting those correct, including emission, air cleaner, coolant and tire pressure stickers. I also bead-blasted/de-chromed the radiator support and painted it myself for the emission and coolant stickers. In the summer I will replace the radiator with a repro HD radiator and buy a proper 36" wide support. The one it has now is for a small block.

An LS6 would have come with a Holley carb originally and a low rise aluminum intake with a smog pump. In due time. :) First will be a replacement of the sweeper speedo dash to a gauge pod with the appropriate green-tinted speedo, tach, clock, ammeter, temp and fuel dials.

See pics below for the stuff I have done.

The hood pic below is after a coat of Glaze and NXT.

RMX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Beautiful!!!

Don't forget to replace the intake bolts though.

Keep the pics coming!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

3. REMIX

Thank you!!

The entire intake will get replaced when I find a proper LS6 intake.

RMX

4. canadiantifosi

canadiantifosi Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2008
    uh...guess...
    Full Name:
    Canadian Tifosi Sr.
    #104 canadiantifosi, Jan 3, 2009
    Car looks very nice. Keep up the good work RMX. In hindsight, I seem to recall the Q-Jet was on the 396/402 motor.

As a point of interest, here is a dealer invoice for a 1970 Chevelle SS 396/350.

Check out the price for the Cowl Induction option .... pretty inexpensive considering that for a nice, complete one today with cold air gasket and vacuum accesories, you would almost need to apply for TARP bailout money:)

5. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I wonder if its the same as the manifold off of an LS-6 crate engine? I purchased an LS-6 in the 80's for my '66 Chevelle, but pulled the manifold when I went to Fuel Injection (in my 442). It wouldn't be date coded properly, but I remember that it was a dual plane manifold with the Winter's Foundry symbol on it... I'll look around to see if I still have it.

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

6. REMIX

#106 REMIX, Feb 1, 2009
    Some new pics with my new camera. Note to self: try not to face the sun when taking pics of my car next time. Most of them were pretty washed out. Oh well.

As you can see I'm making slow but sure progress getting the engine cosmetically correct. Going to take a while! :)

RMX

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Man that car is looking gorgeous.

You got a helluva buy on that one.

PS dont let it become TOO much of a garage queen !

8. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Car looks NICE man! Only thing I'd think about would be maybe a small spacer for the front wheels. The offset seems to have them tucked in a little to much IMO. What gears do you have in the rear?

9. REMIX

SS - Thanks. I never thought of a spacer for the front...that's a great idea. I agree, it is a little tucked into the wheel well.

I'm still wanting original looking 14 x 7 Rallys...cannot find any locally yet. But the spacer idea is a good one.

Thanks, Jerry, I appreciate the comments.

RMX

10. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Beautiful car...the Atlanta GM build facility that car was built as it literally less than 2 miles from where I live. It's been shut down for I don't know how long now but it's interesting to see a car from its past .

11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    What an absolutely great looking car.

I don't think you could have gotten a color that suits it any better. The silver/black really makes it!

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    NP, as for the rallys try National Parts Depot. They are in Gainsville if I recall. Can't remember if it is them, but someone makes them in 17's too.

13. REMIX

They're in Ocala. We made the trek on Christmas Eve for some parts. New ones are ridiculous when you figure in trim rings, caps and then some Polyglas bias plys. Probably $1500 all told. I see them for sale used for $500-$600, but never locally.

RMX

14. REMIX

Thank you very much. :)

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I've got a set of Ralleyes that came off a 66 corvette, so IIRC they are 15x7. I just dropped off the original Super Sport wheels for sand blasting so I can R&R them...... and I'm looking to recoup some costs. Let me check the size/dates/etc of those ralleyes and get back to you.

Spacers would make the car look good as per modern fashion, but that "meager/pathetic" looking wheel offset is how they came OEM, and is part of the real flavor....JMHO

16. REMIX

#116 REMIX, Feb 4, 2009
  17. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Those are usually considered "Magnums" Most Rallys are the five slot design with top hats and trim rings.

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    More or less.

IIRC, Ford called them Magnum, Dodge used ones that were basically the same, but Chevy called them the Super Sport wheel. I haven't looked at the three of them side by side, but I have heard that there were very slight differences amoung the three. The silver part may be wider or narrower on one or the other, the trim ring may be slightly different from make to make, the diameter of the center cone...who knows...???

19. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
  20. REMIX

21. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Nice. That's one lucky car, to have an owner like you. :)

22. REMIX

#122 REMIX, Feb 28, 2009
    Look what FedEx brought today. One step closer to being bolt-for-bolt correct.

Correct coded coolant hoses (upper/lower radiator, heater hoses and ribbed water pump bypass hose), correct coded aluminum water neck ($50!), date coded tower clamps, correct marked water neck bolts, correct ribbed door lock pulls (they don't fit for some reason - different threads on the new ones - perplexed). Not pictured are correctly marked radiator support bolts and correct steering pump cap (from one with white writing on the cap to one totally black with no writing).

RMX

23. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Your getting there man! Nice knuckles by the way, ha.

24. REMIX

What are you talking about? That's my wife's hand. I kid, I kid... :)

RMX

25. That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode, about the man handed girl.