What's this 70 454 Chevelle Re-Creation worth? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

What's this 70 454 Chevelle Re-Creation worth?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by REMIX, Oct 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vunico

vunico Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2007
    southern florida
    or when george was a "hand model"

2. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#128 REMIX, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hose install this weekend. PITA!!!

What a mess this made. I changed my thermostat from a 180 degree unit to a 160 degree unit. She would run up to 210-215 degrees or so while idling, making it very hot inside. Spending a lot of time on the Chevelle boards made it clear the car should be in the 185-200 range in warm weather. The coolant was like syrup, clearly not properly diluted. I still went down to Advance and bought a 160 degree unit anyway to see what this would do. I changed to a lighter oil (5W-30) a few weeks back it it was already running cooler at around 205 or so.

The people who built this car did such a half-assed job IMO. There were some real issues, the wrong outlets coming from the water pump for the upper heater core hose was just one of them. It would only accept a 5/8" hose when it clearly needed to accommodate a 3/4" hose, which is the size my upper repop hose is. Lower hose should be 5/8", so that was correct. These jackasses just put 5/8" outlets on everything. The water pump bypass also should have had a 3/4" outlet, again 5/8", and the original-style tower clamps would not fit (too big). So I made-do with a 5/8" bypass hose until later, as I still have the worm clamps hold that in place. I had a leak trying to use a 3/4" original-style ribbed hose on the bypass pump. FAIL! Man, I had coolant all over the place.

Anyway, I did not replace the lower hose as the repro hose I got did not have an anti-collapse spring and I don't think that's correct. I did not want to go jerking around with a hose that could collapse on me, so the original one stayed put. I will deal with that one later on.

So, with some work and a sore back, I got 95% of it done now. She runs beautifully, much better. It'll run 190 all day unless I let her idle for a while where she won't go a penny over 195 degrees. The inside of the car even feels a lot cooler, too. Huge improvement. The engine responds nicely.

Here are some pics of the install and the final result.

Oh yeah, I'm noticing some rust in the lower rear quarters. Not too freaked about that yet, but there's some filler back there, and I think eventually the quarters are going to have to get welded/patched or I'm going to have to deal with replacing the quarters.

RMX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. REMIX

LOL, you guys are gonna laugh.

Today I went on my longest drive ever since I bought her last October. 1 whole hour, 30 miles and many more smiles. A few covert burnouts...LOL. Lots of waves from other drivers.

She turned over 64,000 miles today, too.

79 degress here. Blue sky. Puffy white clouds. Nice cool breeze. If could bottle this day and sell it to people, I could retire.

The future missus is now making homemade buffalo wings for dinner. Does it get any better?

Now I can face work tomorrow.

RMX

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil

Yeah RMX, I would pass on this car, it looks like an owner was doing burnouts with it.

5. REMIX

#131 REMIX, Mar 22, 2009
  6. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Once I get my ZO6 we gotta meet up at OSW for some fun!

7. REMIX

#133 REMIX, Mar 24, 2009
    So...it looks like these reproduction hoses I got suck. I only replaced the top one, but when the car is driven it swells up like a balloon. Glad I didn't replace the lower hose. I ended up ordering different ones from a guy who makes them by hand. NOT cheap - $70 (w/shipping) for an upper and lower hose.

http://www.broachbuster.com/id21.htm

Here are some pics of what my supposed "new" repro hoses have been doing. Looks like Ground Up is going to get some returned items.

Giant pain.

Also, I sent my hood latch out to be sand blasted. I am going to get it back to its original zinc phosphate color. Freakin' expensive, too.

RMX

8. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Sounds like you should send them back and get a refund.

9. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    In other Chevelle news...Dana Mecum selling his personal Chevelle collection.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/24/like-chevrolet-chevelles-mecum-auctions-has-a-deal-for-you/

10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  11. REMIX

#137 REMIX, Mar 24, 2009
    This thing is amazing. Cowl induction delete, no hood pins, auto with bench seat. Strange combo. It was a no-sale a few years back at Mecum.

RMX

12. REMIX

#138 REMIX, Mar 25, 2009
    Okay, time for the hood catch restoration. Originally these were zinc phosphate plated. Not easy to find an outfit around here who can do that. A lot the guys on the Chevelle restoration forums use Eastwood Detail Gray on these and the hood hinges with excellent results.

Since this is really a blog for my progress at this point, I'm posting my progress here.

What I started with:

13. REMIX

#140 REMIX, Mar 25, 2009
  14. REMIX

15. REMIX

#142 REMIX, Mar 25, 2009
  16. REMIX

#143 REMIX, Jan 16, 2010
    Here's a nice little touch.

I recently leased one of my retail listings to a sign company (the kind that wraps cars, boats, etc) and asked him if he would be able to reproduce an old state inspection sticker for my car. He said they could "pretty much print on anything", so I asked him to produce both some cling-type and "sticky" stickers for my car. He did them for free, so I am really grateful.

Pretty neat. Really adds a nice little detail to the car and it can be removed and reapplied at any time. As per the build sheet that I found under the rear seat, my Chevelle was delivered to Doublemont Chevrolet in Louisville, KY. Chances are the vehicle once sported this exact sticker at one time. Gotta love Google's image search...

I am thinking about making a retro-looking dealership sticker for the back (die cut vinyl).

RMX

17. REMIX

#144 REMIX, Jan 16, 2010
  18. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Very cool.

19. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Your attention to detail astounds me.

20. REMIX

#147 REMIX, Mar 4, 2010
  21. REMIX

#148 REMIX, Mar 8, 2010
    Package tray was getting a little long in tooth, plus it had absorbed some moisture due to a rear window leak (they all have them). I also needed to change out the sail panels as one of them is ripped.

Out come the seats! The original color on this car was really nice (Misty Turquoise).

Best thing of all: no rust in this area...something all of these cars were susceptible to. Just a little surface rust.

RMX

22. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Car keeps on coming along. Good work man.

By the way, I bought a nice, one owner, 39,000 mile, '96 LT4 Vette to tide me over a little....

23. REMIX

Thanks!

Congrats on the car - I know you've been jonesing for a while. Post some pics in the musclecar pic section.

RMX