What's this 70 454 Chevelle Re-Creation worth? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

What's this 70 454 Chevelle Re-Creation worth?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by REMIX, Oct 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I will, it's still about a week away. It's in Nevada. Gonna keep it a year or two and get a C6Z.

2. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Very nice. I like that car a lot.

3. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Hey thanks, Tim!! :)

RMX

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  5. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Didn't look through the whole thread but did you ever find a build sheet?

You're lucky with the lack of significant rust back by the rear window, very lucky!

6. REMIX

#157 REMIX, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Cool. That looks a lot better than the build sheet with my car. Just a few illegible pieces of paper. The sheets are on top of the gas tanks on Corvettes.

Too bad you're 1200 miles away. I'd like to see your car sometime.

8. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    See, if you guys had Pontiacs :) you could get copies of all the original paperwork from Pontiac Historical Services and wouldn't have to dig around under your seats and on top of your gas tanks.

9. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I bought and still own a 1991 Camaro Z28 1LE from the original owner in Nevada with 32,000 miles on it. When I took delivery of it from the transport company, I spent quite a bit of time detailing it. I found the original shippers receipt (looks a lot like a build sheet) inside the lower front grill. Still legible but very worn.

Great car!

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Nice job on the package tray, I had to do the same on my 70 last fall and I found it rather difficult.

Great looking car, I like the vinyl top. :)

11. REMIX

Well, don't ya know...that's part of the fun! Nowaday you can order a repro window sticker and build sheet (laminated) for your Corvette right from the Corvette Museum! $49. I've thought of ordering one for my C6.

Thank you. I bought the package tray and sail panels in December of 2008 and didn't have the nerve to change them until last week. In light of the sail panel change, the package tray was almost a non-event. Didn't realize it needed a jute backing until afterward. Oh well. LOL.

RMX

12. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Yeah, I know that's part of the fun! Pontiacs have build sheets hidden in them, too.

But the value of PHS is that having that resource makes it far more difficult to gin up a Tempest and pass it off as a GTO, for example. Rare Pontiacs are almost impossible to fake and pass off as genuine, whereas it's ridiculously easy to fake a rare Chevy or Buick or Olds or what have you. Mopar guys have Galen Govier and Ford guys have Marti, but all the GM guys other than Pontiac don't have an authoritative source.

13. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I have owned quite a few C2 and C3 vettes and would never buy one without proven factory documentation. Tank stickers or extensive ownership documentation was about as far as I would go. The tank sticker had to be attached to the tank and on the car!

My Trans Ams were no different. I never used PHS because I never had an interest in a car that was not already put together and had provenance. There are a lot of hidden jewels out there that PHS can help document but I preferred survivor cars.

14. REMIX

Face is right. The Corvette world is downright obsessive about history and documentation. It is at the point that decking and restamps have gotten so good that you really cannot rely on them anymore to tell you anything. Sure, there are a few guys who can look at the pad and say "that 2 doesn't look right to me", but sometimes even they're wrong. You almost need to be able to trace ownership history from day 1 and that's getting harder to do as these cars get older. The Chevelle folks aren't as obsessive - a few of them are but nothing like the Corvette people. They are very nit-picky. :)

RMX

15. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
  16. REMIX

Wow nice. The rear stripes look a little narrow but I'm curious to what it will bring.

FWIW, I was at the De Foeller classic auction this weekend and we watched a blue/white stripe 70 SS 454 clone not nearly as nice as mine go for $23k. Then a real deal green/white stripe 396 SS hammered down at $29k. Lots of incorrect things with the true SS under the hood and in some other places but I thought it was a good buy for someone. But I know my car could get about what I paid for it which is nice.

RMX

17. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Brilliant looking car :D

18. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    This one is for sale over here at the moment.

LINK

drooooollll!!!!

19. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Any idea on what the want for it? I hate when the try to get to call for a price.

20. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    It says 100% restored with documentation for restauration.

I would guess based on others for sale that look less appealing, somewhere between 250.000 and 300.000 DKK. Could be higher though.

There was a '69 (I think) Challenger for sale around 2 years ago. All matching numbers and in picture perfect condition. It went for more than 900.000 DKK.

21. REMIX

#172 REMIX, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
    Pretty car, I like but I'm not sure the restoration is 100% correct, or if it's even a real SS, though. The person who did that restoration should be shot IMO. :)

I see wrong intake, wrong water inlet and wrong fuel lines. 1970 Chevelles did not have a "caution" sticker on the fan shroud. They also did not have a blue GM sticker on the door jamb. Master cylinder looks to be the wrong color, hood catch/hinges should be silver, missing the rubber surround on the air cleaner assembly and missing the stickers on the radiator support. What's that orange wire going across the left side of the firewall? The area behind the firewall should be black not red. I'd like to see some pics of the inside and dash. It seems also to be missing the rear sway bar which came standard on an SS...that's usually a dead giveaway that you're dealing with a clone. I'd need more pics.

RMX

22. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Let me try and correct.

In no way does the seller claim it is 100% original :)

Just that it has been restored 100%. Also, documentation for renovation can be forwarded at request :)

It's a 360HP LS5L 454 cui engine in the car.

23. REMIX

OK makes sense now! :)

RMX

24. REMIX

#175 REMIX, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's an update on my car.

My car was sold new by DOUBLEMONT CHEVROLET in Louisville, KY around April of 1970 according to the build sheet I found under the rear seats.

I spent a LOT of time hunting down info on this dealership over the past year or so. I couldn't find anything. What I wanted was anything related to the dealership from back in the day that I could affix to the Chevelle.

I asked around on various message boards, got nowhere and finally posted in the Kentucky section of FChat. Turns out 2 FChatters, EarlyCat and hammer1, knew people associated with the Doublemont family and put me in touch with them. I sent pics to one of the people there and they sent them on to Mr. Montgomery - one of the two "Mont"s in DoubleMONT. Turns out he still works at the dealership after all these years.

They went hunting around and look what they came up with! I got these in the mail today and one of them will soon be on my car in the back window. I cannot thank the folks at Bob Montgomery Chevy Honda in Louisville enough for their help. If I buy a new car, I will gladly buy from them.

I am very thankful to the Fchatters who made this happen. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login