What's wrong with the OEM Fuseblocks again? | FerrariChat

What's wrong with the OEM Fuseblocks again?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sean F., Aug 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I ask b/c I went to put on the new "birdman" fuseblocks tonight but the exising OEM fuse blocks looked brand new.

I know many have had problems with the OEM blocks fusing and melting at the back and causing electrical faults but I don't have any of those problems.

Is there another reason to be rid of them? Is it the fuses?

Mine all looked clean. Almost as if the had been replaced at some point by the previous owner.

Thanks

2. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006

I have been planning to do Birdman's units also. I have one newer fuse block that was replaced by a prior owner and it works fine but the other one is probably original and has obvious corrosion. The items on these circuits (headlights, instrument lights, etc.) are receiving very low voltage. The euro halogen headlights on the circuit are like two candles in brightness and the instrument lights are unuseable! I'm going to replace both of the blocks just to be thorough as soon as Birdman gets back from vacation. Bottom line is that yours may be fine now but they will eventually have problems. Better to spend the $100 and have peace of mind about the potential electrical issues the OEM blocks WILL eventually cause.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i have to get to work, but i have threads with pics on my half melted fuseblocks in older original cars. the Bird Blocks were a tremendous help, and i would buy a set and sit on them , even if you dont need them yet.

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Amen, mine were melted and believe they were already replaced once in their lifetime. What really gets me is wht the fudge did Ferrari use those 'nipple' fuses??? They have VERY LOW contact area and are known to come loose in general. Birdman's fuses box uses normal modern glass fuses, have MUCH higher contact area, and are easy to use.

Some days i wonder what Luigi was thinging when he built my car. Brilliance is smattered with stupidity... but isn't that the "remantic' part of our cars?

------------
    ------------
    As the owner of an Italian vehicle, you have undoubtedly found that, from time to time, the thing defies all known laws of Physics. Distinguished researchers from all over the world have spent entire lives trying to understand such phenomena. Recently, the Six Laws of Italian Sports Cars were discovered, thus reducing most owners' dependency on sorcerers and prayer, to keep such cars running.

LAW #3)THE LAW OF ELECTRICAL CHAOS

"All Italian Sports Cars shall be wired at the Factory by a cross-eyed, color-blind worker, using whatever supplies are within reach. All wires shall change color-code at least once between energy source and component. all grounds shall be partially insulated."

This tends to guarantee that the owner of such vehicles will eventually be intimately familiar with its electrical system, since he will need to trace out each wire, then rewrite his Official Schematic, which will differ from all others in at least one area.

5. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    They weren't uncommon in european car... my VW bug had those (but now that I think about it, the VW was a '64 model...)

My original fuseblocks in the 308QV were fine, but I upgrade to the Birdman blocks to get the additional contact area.

6. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Although I did not get Birdmans set up I had made my own back in 2000 after I got my car. I found that the OEM fuse block got brittle over time and when I removed it , it broke into 3 pieces. Also I had the typical loose terminals which had been resoldered. I bought the fuse blocks from NAPA and just soldered a few buss bars to join the common fuse inputs and mounted it to an alum. strip. and drilled it to fit the OEM screw holes. I believe it took me about an hour to make the fuse block and about a 1/2 hour to install. Its a nice neat package. I think parts ran about $30. I'm looking at making a mini blade fuse setup this winter to see how that works. Enjoy the ride.

7. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #7 spiderseeker, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You MUST change out the original fuseblocks or THIS(see attached) is your future. Birdman's fuseblocks can handle much greater current load. Why do you need it ? Because when your fuel pump gets older and starts dragging slightly, it will pull more current, this is what happened to my original fuseblock. Running stereo power amps etc draw more current too, stock fuses just can't handle any kind of load, very poor design.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I have birdman's fuseblock, that's why I took the first one out.

I just thought there were other issues besides the melting some have had. Mine look like new.

I'll keep what I've got for now and if I find it necessary, replace them with birdmans.

9. wise3

wise3 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Ward Orndoff
    the first time my stock fuse panel gave me trouble, it was no cooling fans. The second time, it was no spark, and I was stranded. I may be slow, but I don't need a third time.