What's Your Favorite Bourbon? | Page 12 | FerrariChat

What's Your Favorite Bourbon?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Coolhand, Feb 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    That's how i got my most recent bottle of Defiant. Co-worker didn't like it.

My Jefferson's Ocean was finished tonight. I didn't realize it was a Voyage 3, or that they numbered the bottles like that. I've had that bottle for years....

sjd

2. actwon

actwon Rookie

Apr 29, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Eagle Rare is good, So is the Jefferson's. I have not had the others on your list. One shocker for me was an inexpensive 1792 (including the small batch) and OYO small batch. Very smooth, easy to drink bourbons.

steved033 likes this.
  3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Sweet, just got notified I won a bottle of Pappy in my local store's lottery. :)

4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Nice!

The local liquor store I go to had three each bottles of 10 and 12 year for $400 and $500 respectively. I passed. The 10 and 12 are great, but not THAT much better than others for far less.

5. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    So did I. Pappy 23 for $340.

GatorFL likes this.
  6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I'm a buyer from you at that price if you don't want it. :D

7. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I bid $350.

8. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    It arrives tomorrow, I can't wait!

9. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    [QUOTE="One shocker for me was an inexpensive 1792."[/QUOTE]

+1 Very good and reasonably priced...

10. paindok

paindok Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Jon
    GatorFL likes this.
  11. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Tried two new bottles this last weekend; Yellowstone and Henry McKenna 10 Year.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I loved the Yellowstone. The nose was terrible, very cardboard like, but the taste was great. It had a lot of maple syrup, leather, and oak, which is a combo I like very much. The flavors were quite complex. It’s pretty similar to Bib and Tucker (if you’ve had that), but with stronger leather and oak flavors. If Pappy 20 is a 10/10 for for me, this was a solid 8+/10

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The McKenna was also very good. Nose was sweet, and so was the taste. It was classic bourbon combo of caramel and vanilla. The flavors were definitely not as complex or strong as the Yellowstone, but good; especially for the price. I’d give it a 7/10

I was with three other people, and they all preferred the McKenna to the Yellowstone. Two of the three were not “bourbon drinkers,” so I understand why they’d like the gentler, sweeter flavors of the McKenna.

12. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Picked up a fantastic bourbon last night. I saw a couple of bottles of Stagg Jr at the local store, and knowing the heritage I bought one. It's Stagg Jr Batch 9, 131.9 proof. I decided to pop it and try a little. I threw a few ice cubes in a glass and poured a shot in. I was prepared for heat, but instead I got a mouthful of sweet cherry followed by vanilla and then spice. It was not what I was expecting, in a really good way. It's sort of like a grown up, more sophisticated Eagle Rare. If you see a bottle of this, I highly recommend it.

JAM1 likes this.
  13. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Anyone have or know of some Pappy for sale? Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I have been able to get access to a lot of bourbon thanks to being a frequent at my local liquor store. I’ve had a couple pappys but seem to like the old rip van winkle 10 year the best. Michters 10 year is good, but a lot of bourbon seem to be pretty linear compared to scotch.

15. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Recently did some of the Bourbon trail. I really like some of the Willet products (Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, and the Pot Still reserve) but my favorite was the small batch rye. Tried a bunch of other things (nothing was bad) but also liked the Weller Reserve and Weller 12.

16. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    So I went to the liquor store today to stock up on white wine for the misses. While there I asked my standard question, “Do you have any Blanton’s?” Answer: Nope! So I went over to the whiskey section and talked to the rep. I tried a few other bourbons decided to buy two bottles of Bowman Brothers. Lo and behold, “Let me check in back on the Blanton’s, one bottle limit.” I guess buying bourbon has become the same as buying cars....

17. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    BTW, if you haven’t tried the Bowman Brothers, excellent bourbon for the money.

18. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Were you downtown shopping bourbon?

19. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I was at Binnys. Tried the Irving Park location and then the one at Pulaski and Diversy. I was only planning on buying wine for my wife, but when opportunity presents itself... I’ve been working my way through a bottle of Corsair Triple Smoked as well. Kinda like a scotch/bourbon cross. Mostly G & T season, so the bourbons will have to wait for cooler weather.

gh0st0 likes this.
  20. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I suggest warehouse liquors on wabash, lots of good bourbon. I frequent there when I get free time to grab some beer/scotch/bourbon.

21. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Thanks, will check them out.

22. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    Had to laugh... Found this tongue-in-cheek(I hope!!) review on Bevmo..."Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are not too far out in comparison. Perhaps around two to three year difference in aging and distillation. Now does that make a big difference? Well, I think I should let you be the judge of that. Honey gold in color. Sweet french vanilla cake, lots of it; loads of toasted oak; some muted sherry notes, and dried california raisins on the nose to begin with. Indeed, full bodied and robust mouth feel followed by a sweet creamy lasciviously oily almost chewy texture with leathery accents, some home baked oatmeal cookies, and vanilla coated slightly sweet crispy almonds in the entry palate. simultaneously; hints of succulent melon, dried shredded coconuts, thick maple syrup and some sugar cane, complimented by delicate sherry notes; rich caramel toffee, and a variety of peppery spices entertains the palate even further giving way to; loads sweet roasted corn; layers of creamy charred oak; some nuances of rye, and notes of lemon peels and green apples that brightens up the mid palate. Eagle rare definitely has its own unique characteristics and complexities, though as I mentioned earlier, it is not very far in comparison to buffalo trace - which is less expensive. The finish is long and dry and it lingers in your mouth for a little while, layered with that awesome rich buttery home baked southern corn bread aftertaste."

23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    anybody try firestone and robertson?

24. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018