What's your favourite music while driving your 308/328? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's your favourite music while driving your 308/328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Martin308GTB, Oct 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I have the original Pioneer in my 328 GTB and both radio and cassette work fine, but I never turn it on when I drive. I do turn it on from time to time if I am stuck in the traffic.
    The original loudspeakers give a really crappy sound...

The 328 GTS has a more modern, not period correct (I suspect begining of the 2000s)Sony with CD, that has a removable faceplate. The faceplate was removed and in its own box when I bought the car five years ago, I have never placed it on the unit, and never tried it.

Rgds

2. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My Blaupunkt, although working perfectly, merely fills what would otherwise be an empty space under the dash. I think I've actually turned it on once LOL

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I usually cringe at the stock joke, "the engine is my music", but I have surprised myself how I have never, absolutely never, played music in my 308.

Initially, I thought it was a pretty cool selling feature of my car which came with a subwoofer in the passenger footwell, tweeters in window crank holes, main and subwoofer power amps in the trunk, Sirius-enabled radio, trunk CD changer, blah, blah. The novelty work off so I recently did a major reconfiguration and simplification which included removing the subwoofer and all the trunk equipment.

(I do like that the system is Bluetooth enabled and I can get Google Maps to give me directions through the speakers. On the other hand, the car is so noisy that the microphone for the hands-free telephone works like crap.)

It is interesting that so many people are responding to this thread by saying that they don't listen to music in their 3x8.

4. LorenzoT

LorenzoT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2010
    Garden State
    #29 LorenzoT, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Got an Alpine front cd-loaded from I think around 2001, very good clarity with bass and treble knobs.

I prefer classic rock from 70's and some pop from the mid to late 80's even early 90's

a song like ' Tell me why can't this be love ' from Van Halen comes to mind when seeing an open top Ferrari parking or even the song ' Dreams' also performed by Van Halen.

cheers
    Johnny

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #31 Martin308GTB, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    Indeed. And I admit a little bit disappointing. It's basically the same response, like I received some time ago on a german petrolhead forum.
    But I thought it might be different in the 'cradle of rock music', the USA.

Regarding listening to music in the 308, I have to admit, it might be blasphemy, but although I basically love the sounds of my car, on longer drives it first gets boring, slowly becoming annoying to me.
    I remember one of my scenic drives through the swiss Alps. During the first few U-turns uphill I enjoyed the engine sound. But soon I preferred using the torque of the engine shifting in the highest possible gear and turned on my music.
    Classical J.S. Bach Organ music in that case :)
    Yes, when driving through a tunnel, I often open the windows, switch off the radio and downshift. But for hours? No thanks.

I have the car since so long. Almost 20 years. The engine sounds ARE music. No question. Even german star conductor Herbert v. Karajan said it, though he meant the Ferrari V-12, which he compared with a classical symphony. But it's like always listening to the same composition or song.
    Maybe an unusual point of view. But for me listening to my favourite music while driving in my 308, adds to the experience.

Best Regards
    Martin

7. 308gt4++

308gt4++ Formula 3

Apr 12, 2015
    How about this homey...;)....

I got a V12,sweeter than a female
    It feels like intercourse bucklin' the seatbelt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyq7AVmjEKw

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Lyrics sound promising :)
    Unfortunately this YT video is blocked due to licensing issues over here.
    But isn't this 'Gangsta Rap'?
    Thanks, but for this kind of music I don't need a sound system. I need a gun for it :)

Best Regards
    Martin

9. 308gt4++

308gt4++ Formula 3

Apr 12, 2015
    #34 308gt4++, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    OK...try this one then...;)....

Foggy Mountain Breakdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqd7mXvHupU

10. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Personally for long motorway journeys either hard trance or a bit of indutrial music e.g. NIN

11. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    Anything from the 80's however...the Magnum PI theme song must be played during the warm-up period for the car....each and everytime!

12. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I don't listen to music much in the Ferrari, but when I do it's strictly 80's.

13. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    .....or if you're REALLY fortunate,you can alternate between 8 in the back and 12 up front!!!!!!

14. jcm12

jcm12 Karting

Apr 18, 2013
    Western KY
    Full Name:
    Jay Mayolo
  15. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Winner winner winner...

16. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #41 robertgarven, Oct 29, 2015
  17. jmaz

jmaz Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yep, it's either "Grand Prix" (the waltz tempo is a perfect fit for a good mountain road), or it's "Nessun Dorma" sung by Pavarotti.

18. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    #43 NoGoSlow, Oct 29, 2015
  19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Well, we seem to be the cradle of Country music right now. Rock seems no where to be seen.
    Even though Ferrari titled it a “Gran Turismo”, I just can't see the 3x8 as a long distance hauler. That is what big Mercedes are for. I took a long trip earlier this year in my 308 through California’s Sierra Nevada Mountains and I felt the same thing on the flat land transit. It is not a car to cover monotonous hours. It is so noisy I can’t see how music would help. In fact, the volume would have to be so high it would eventually be unpleasant.

I had a moment of epiphany last week while giving a 25 year old his first ride in a Ferrari. I did my usual thing, left home and dawdled through my town keeping revs and speed low as the engine warmed, then, hit the main road, floored it, shifted at red line and ripped up to …. 50 mph. What a riot of noise! The young man was shocked that we were only going the speed limit. 50 mph seemed crazy-fast for that sprint of a few seconds. It is a car that provokes emotions. Slowly I am understanding what that means. The 3x8 is not a place to withdraw into music.

20. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    I'm odd man out.

I'll keep an audiobook going while cruising around and when I'm pushing it just the engine noise.

21. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The journey which brought me to ownership was too long and too difficult for me to ever classify the sound of my car as annoying, but yes, certainly on longer drives music would be a great addition. Perhaps I need to take longer drives.

I rarely listen to music in my 308, but when I do it will definitely be of the era . . . something like Roxy Music Avalon

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Mine too. But no reason lying to myself. After 20 years of ownership I see some things pragmatical. Love the car, but it's not all roses. Like every long-time relationship :)
    But honestly. At comfortable cruising speed like, say 80-90 mls/hr., what's often our Autobahn speed limit ( not all Autobahn is speed limit free ), me and my wife find the 308 pleasantly quiet and smooth.
    But I have to add, that I hate those overly soundproof cars, in which you are completely isolated from the environment. As a daily driver I have a Fiat 500 100hp Sport. Some folks say, that it's incredibly noisy for a modern car. For me, it's the most quiet car, I ever had.
    A note of precaution. Two years ago I had a severe ear problem. But after healing, my otologist stated, that my ears are o.k. again and within spec for a 50 years old geezer :)

And when I want to attend a car event -seldom enough- I don't want to take my daily driver. So I have no other choice than doing a long drive in the 308. O.k., I could take my '72 Alfa. But this one is even noisier than the 308 at comparable speeds.

Best Regards
    Martin

23. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Robert,
    do you still work on your drums like this?
    If so: Respect!

Best
    Martin

24. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    HAHAHA! Awesome!!

25. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The "sound of the engine" thing was OK for a while but has long faded into non-relevance. Actually, by the end of the nearly 3000 mile trip in 3 days two days after I purchased the car, I had had about all the Ferrari engine noise I needed! Thank God for earplugs.

Favorite driving song? "And Your Bird Can Sing." No, it has nothing to do with driving but somehow it works for me. If I had to pick a specific car related song it would probably be "I can't drive 55!"