Wheel paint | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wheel paint

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Oct 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    This subject gets even more complicated in areas with serious VOC regulations because the new toners particularly with the silvers just do not have the same colour as solvent based paints. We are still working on getting our wheel colour right and have spent tons of time and money on the search.

2. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    You might be able to open a mail order Dino Wheel Paint business once you've nailed the formulation...I got another concours deduction on wheel color/gloss...sigh.

3. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    When I look at the untouched original paint on the spare wheels of my two Dinos, the amount of blue in the silver is what first strikes me. I've never particularly liked the color, but someone had to have consciously chosen it for production. It is very true that brighter, modern silver shades have taken over on restorations, as new cars have ever brighter silvers for their alloy wheels. Some almost simulate a brushed chrome finish. Fred

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #29 isuk, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Like Rob says the whole issue of wheel paint has been complicated by the switch to modern paint systems. For 03050 I ended up using a slightly lighter old Fiat silver code and combined it with a flatter laquer to give the desired non-glossy effect.

It is also possible to drive yourself mad trying to find the "perfect" colour as wheels look different in every photo depending upon lighting conditions, picture resolution, age of the photo etc etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ that looks very close. can you post the exact paint code?
    ed

6. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    My wheels were painted in PPG paint using FIAT Argento 612/A in D/W shade with the laquer dulled down with a 30% dilution of matting agent.

7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Apologies, the correct name for the colour is FIAT Grigio Chiaro Metallizzato 612/A in D/W shade.

8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Ok, I'll bite...what does "in D/W shade" mean?

9. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    I hate grey wheels ... there I said it. I could care less if it is original or not, when wheels are more grey than silver they just look dirty, drab, and lifeless. I'll gladly take any concours deduction. I painted my wheels a silver color that I chose. Not super bright but I'm sure MUCH brighter than original. It just pops better especially against the Grigio Ferro body (or any color IMHO).

One thing I do need to fix is my clear gloss level .... just too much.

10. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I'm not 100% sure Ron. There are a few variants of the 612/A colour. I believe it possibly has something to do with how the colour looks when viewed from side angles etc. Despite the name Grigio Chiaro, 612/A is a silver paint. It just has a lot less flake in it than some modern silvers so is much closer to the original finish I believe. Putting matting agent in the laquer further helps to make sure the wheels are not heavily glossed like the modern repro wheels for instance.

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    ditto...my wheel gloss level is now consistently getting a concours deduction...but how does one `fix' that?

12. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Apparently as I found a source for another 612/A...on eBay, of course!

FIAT HIGH QUALITY GERMAN CAR PAINT 400ML AEROSOL 612A * GRIGIO GARBATO MET 94-11

FIAT 612/A GRIGIO CHIARO METALLIZZATO paint Touch up brush scratch chip repair

Touch Up Paint Alfa Romeo Fiat Scratch Repair 612/A GRIGIO CHIARO METALLIZZATO

13. 330GTCFERRARI

330GTCFERRARI Karting

Jun 21, 2012
    NYC
    I would ask Tom Yang. He has my wheels re done this year and they look awesome. He can probably point you int he right direction.

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i guarantee you that no matter how perfect you think any color code is, a judge will think it is too dark, or too light.
    that is why the fca needs to come up with formal guidelines if they want more concours participation.
    tha jaguar club(jcna) has nice guidelines so the guess work is less.

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It took almost a year of trial and error but we got the wheel colour and gloss level perfect. I actually mistook one of our wheels for an NOS wheel we sampled off of. Full pictures and report here:

Dino 246 Restoration Blog: Go Biggs or go home: Achieving the exact Dino Ferrari wheel colour

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ looks good. can you post the paint codes?
    thanks

17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Edward, you might read the blog on this issue...

Regards, Alberto

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ i did, did see the codes....

19. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    if you read more closely, you'll see that the codes are not publicly available - you need to talk to the gentleman whose long hours of labor produced the match. Seems reasonable to me...

20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    will reread that more closely. just scanned, looking for a code....

21. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    fwiw, the parts manual lists the metal valve stem as brass. but, maybe no cars were delivered that way.

22. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  23. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
  24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The photos were not sepia but rather shot indoors using artificial light and no flash. The problem was that as soon as the flash hits them it makes them look way too silver which is why I went for the non flash images. The photos make the wheels look darker than they are but I wanted to show the incredible detail in the lettering and finishing which was best shown without the flash. People talk about Dino wheels being gray but in reality they are really quite silver. Certainly not as silver as a modern car wheel but not as drab and gray as they are sometimes made out to be. In fact they look like a modern set of wheels with the lightest of dustings of brake pad dust on them. It is a really tricky colour on the eyes and even harder to capture on film. Luckily everyone involved in the project was not colour blind so we can be sure of being correct.