Wheel spacers? | FerrariChat

Wheel spacers?

Discussion in '360/430' started by shifter, Sep 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’m seeing a lot of people run wheel spacers to better fit the body and give the appearance of wider wheels. I personally like the look but don’t want to disrupt the effort the experts at Ferrari put into the suspension design and handling.

But I don’t understand why OEM’s don’t space their wheels farther out to give the same effect which most people like. Setting aside performance and steering angle etc, aesthetically I think most would prefer the wheels and tires closer to the fender edge, no?

So why doesn’t Ferrari do this?

Lowering I can understand the crash and other legal considerations that could come into effect, but not wheel offsets or slightly longer axles to better fit the well.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Bwtyler85

Bwtyler85 Karting

Oct 25, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Ben Tyler
    One word "rubbing" once space out the wheel would hit the guard and cause damage so they leave a gap for this. If they did space it out from factory the would have to increase the ride height to increase the gap. That's why everyone would roll guards when they lower and space wheels out.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I will never understand wheel spacers. The cars are perfect as designed with wheels tucked inside the wheel well.

4. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well, I guess it you answered it in a way. Personal preference on the styling and aggressiveness that wider wheels and tires make it look.

So perhaps Ferrari styling agrees with you and tucks them in due to their preference.

I don’t quite believe it’s the potential rubbing, as EU spec and Scuds both have a much lower stance with same offset wheels, noting Scud fronts are .5”/12mm’s wider which fills the wells perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
  6. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    don't like wheel spacers, as it is a waste of wheel well - if you can add 1" of spacer, it also mean you can add ~1" of wheel width.

a sportier version of a car model always fill the wheel well better / wider track. so no, narrower is not a better design.

a negative with a wider track width is rocks kicking up onto side panels. a larger turning radius is another...

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    And you disrupt the aero from the wind tunnel if you intend going fast.

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Just in case on interest have 2 sets of Hill engineering 11mm spacers front and rear

9. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    My 360 had F430 wheels and spacers when I got it. That car also had a fairly major transmission problem. I always wondered if the heavier than meant for the car wheels put extra stress on the transmission and if that stress was exacerbated by the heavier wheels being further away from center than ever intended.

10. jjrho

jjrho Rookie

Jun 11, 2017
    Redlands, CA
    Full Name:
    james R
    guys, I want to get 15mm spacers and correct length bolts...help.... H&R sells 15mm but I don't know what bolts to get for it.... what length, if I'm adding a 15mm spacer.....wheels are oem Ferrari scud rims for 2008 f430/non scud...

thanks,

james R

Ms360 likes this.
  11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Stock 360 bolts are 52 mm from the tip of the bolt to the start of the conical head. If you want 15mm longer bolts, you'll need them to be 67mm.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/ws015-2-x-15mm-spacers-10-long-bolts-type-1.html

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    If you get wheel spacers, get longer wheel bolts.
    I put spacers on an old corvette I had when I was a kid and had problems with stock wheel studs getting sheared off. a bad thing when it happens on a highway.
    that's why these days, I don't like monkeying around with this kind of stuff. although I agree, wider looking wheels are always a more modern, performance oriented look.

13. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    with Hill Engineering type 2 wheel spacers. I guess you have to remove the 2 screws that holds brake rotor to hub? kinda strange.

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Why strange? They only serve to align the holes and that is replaced by the bolts holding it together. Plus, cutting out a slot for the screws would cause an imbalance in the spacer.

bellwilliam likes this.
  15. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    My H&R spacers where just bolt on

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

16. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Spacers are illegal here. I had them on a 360 and found out when I sold the car.

17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Illegal here too unless certified by an engineer.

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Must be a “down under” thing. Seriously, though, even with stock spacing and offset, if you really drive the car as intended, your tires will contact the fender arches. Not what you’d want to happen when doing that.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

19. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    #19 Ferrari Nube, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Agreed.
    I believe there are a number of write-ups on FChat on this issue. The primary issue is the aerodynamics and airflow along the side of the car (at least for a 430, from what I've read). Making the wheels stick out further or flush with the fenders eliminates/ or impacts the airflow and aerodynamic design. Anyway, I'm no expert but do a search and you'll come up with the technical rationale.

Personally, I put on larger/wider HRE's on my car and haven't adhered to the rationale above, but that's because I don't track or use my car to its fullest design capacity.....LOL:D.....Just doing what looks good to me:)

Cheers
    FN

shifter likes this.
  20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I get why you would add spacers if you like that look. But, you are compromising the suspension geometry and setup so you give up handling. Plus you add unsprung weight and increase rotational mass so you compromise handling there as well. Yes, I know many here say "it makes no difference" but simple geometry says they are wrong. Personally, I wouldn't give up the handling just to get a slightly fuller wheel well unless I just use the car for fun driving, not performance.

21. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    that's what Miata chief engineer said in his book, how Miata was optimized for 14x5.5" wheel and 185/60-14 tires. Anything wider would upsets its suspension geometry.

Fastest Miata (many many of them) in the country now run 15x10 and 245/40 tires. National champion autocrossers are on 15x11 and 275 tires. new 15x12 were just release this month to match up to the new Hoosier 295 tires.

YES, they are all still on stock suspension geometry.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    HE Type 2 spacers do not require anything to be done to the hub. They bolt straight on using the hub's original wheel bolt holes and then the wheels bolt into hardened inserts in the adapters. Have them on the back of mine. 25 mm is the smallest size, though, to allow enough depth for the original wheel bolts.

23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I didn't say you can't make it work, I said it changes significantly. To argue that larger wheels and wider tires (more unsprung weight) universally improves handling is silly. It is a tradeoff directly tied to the setup. Plus, I am 100% sure that those guys are NOT on stock suspension setups. They have changed springs, sway bars, drop links, shocks & valving, etc. AND they did a new setup for caster, camber, toe, and more. 100% not stock. Plus, the same setup at high speed, may make the car uncontrollable. They are trading off turnin for pretty much anything they don't use.

Think of it this way: a 25mm spacer on a 10" wishbone increases the wheels leverage 10% effectively lowering the spring rate. Spacers also changes the scrub angle and a bunch of other stuff. Lower or raise a car and you change a LOT of stuff including bump steer, camber, etc.

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    +1. Nothing goes on my car unless it makes it faster or at least has no negative effect on performance or handling.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  25. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    You still have either of these sets of 11mm spacers?