When are you a 'Millionaire'? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

When are you a 'Millionaire'?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    A lot of people thanks to the real estate boom are now Millionaires.
    These are folks who never would have dreamed it.
    However a lot of these same folks couldnt afford to buy thier house again at todays prices.

2. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron

I agree 100%

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I'm 22 and I won't buy an F40 or Enzo 'till I reach that line. The line being, "Pay for it in cash and not worry about bills later". Just because you have money doesn't mean you should go out and buy a whole bunch of liabilities. Go out and start a company or invest or anything that will bring money in. Then once you have cash ariving on your doorstep on a weekly or monthly basis, go out and buy a car or a house. Spending your paycheque will only leave you with less of an opportunity to make big money. I really do want a fast, hot car but I'm not going to do anything that will set me back the better part of a decade.

4. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    I see you've read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad".

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    More than once, not only that book and not only books.
    Each chapter opened me to new ideas and realizations that I have expanded on since.

6. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

As a high-end home builder I probably have 15-20 mil in realestate under construction or ready to be closed on. I once asked my banker, "Am I a millionaire?" He said, "you've got to have millions, not owe millions."

My delima is, should I buy an F-40 or 360 when I could take the money it cost to buy them and build a model home in a new neighborhood and sell 10-12 homes a year off of it and make 250-300k.

The people on this board who own Enzos and the guy who has a "pair" of 360's simply blow me away. Very impressive, must be much smarter men than myself.

Most all the other larger builders drive around in H2's, even the ones smaller than me, but I still tool around in my 2 door F-350.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Build the houses, sell the houses, built the houses and sell the houses. Then maybe get into commercial development and then buy the building on the water with 50 floors of office space, then sell it and buy yourself {and me} an Enzo or two. Don't tie your left hand behind your back by loading up on things that look nice but are true expenses. Get the money coming in from a few different areas then buy a liability. Don't be in a rush either, I will own my home {asset} befor I buy a 200,000 car {liability}.

8. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    NO ADMIRAL NOT MY DAUGHTER.....

MY EX-WIFE , SHE WILL HAVE NO RECOURSE WHEN MY DAUGHTER HITS 18 HERE IN NJ..

I GUESS THEN SHE WILL HAVE TO GET A REAL JOB....TOO BAD.......

9. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    I wish I knew what you know when I were your age. You my friend are a success story waiting to happen..

Keep on keeping on...

10. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    so true... last time I checked child support wasn't supposed to pay 100% of the bills and the moms personal expenses while allowing the mother to sit around and do nothing but go out and party

/sigh

11. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I will.
    Every book I read teaches me something new and reminds me how far I have to go. I feel like I'm so far behind when I realize something I didn't know. I'm not even sure I know where I want to go/end up. But where ever it is it will be in a Ferrari.

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The accumulation of wealth has always continued to amuse me.

My Father was middle class, self employed, and raised me as a single Father. He's highly intelligent, creative, perfectly fit, has everything he wants in life but money.

My Grandfather was a scientist and an aeronautical engineer and put those persuits above all else while making ends meet. He was extremely well educated and travelled. Unfortunately, the family life suffered and he realized it was too late. To this day, all of his kids and that side of my family are estranged.

One of my Great Uncle's who is a millionaire went after what he wanted in life. Money. He was a business and real estate owner and also a senior Corporate VP at another company for a time. He has no family of his own and wishes he could go back and start one and take back a few of the choices he made.

I truly think people delude themselves into wanting the things above when they have nothing else or they have everything they already need.

I have the happiness that these men most desire after they accumulated their wealth, or not. Does that make me a 'millionaire'? Not in the most strict sense of the word but I feel like one many times over.

Sunny

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hopefully she'll freeze to death.

I'll see to it that my Daughter I haven't seen in many years is spoiled rotten, though.

14. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    RALESSI

MY DIVORCE PAPERS STATE:

HERE IN NJ AND THE WAY MY DIVORCE **** WAS SET UP..............WHEN SHE HITS 18 AND DOESNT WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL, THE ROTH IRA I HAVE SET UP FOR HER, IS MINE, WHILE THE CHILD SUPPORT CONTINUES 1/2 TO MY EX- ******* UNTIL SHES 21...AFTER THAT.EVERYONES ON THEIR OWN

IF MY DAUGHTER CHOOSES COLLEGE ( WHICH SHE WILL AS LONG AS IM ALIVE) THE CHILD SUPPORT IS ENDED AND IM RESPONSIBLE FOR 1/2 HER SCHOOLING AND SUPPLIES FOR SCHOOL.........

I DID HAVE A GREAT LAWYER,

BRUCE

15. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    OK I'll short hand this.
    US Navy Officer, owns his house, 3 cars and has 150,000 in the bank. His ex wife who does not work and who has 3 kids {not his}, has the house and 2 of the cars! He pays 1700 a month {says the court} but he also gives her spending money and pays for the heat or lights or whatever she hasn't paid in the past 6 months! She has a boyfriend living in the house and is a total freak when it comes to raising her kids. All of the adults mentioned above should be shot and then
    shot again!

16. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    62 GTO

THATS A SURE PHONE CALL FOR THE "JERSEY BOYS" TO CARE OF THAT SITUATION....:)

BRUCE

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Really? I wonder if UPS can look this up now too? ;) :p

18. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I say assets-liabilities.

Some say assets-liabilities-primary residence. (beats me why, I've made $200k from carefully chosing my "primary residence.")

There are tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of working-stiff 'millionaires' these days, thanks mostly to inflation.

Remenber when 100grand could get you something? It won't even put a roof over your head anywhere in this state anymore.

MEDIAN income in Marin county is $98k/yr. MEDIAN!!!

To be a 'millionaire' used to be equated with being 'independantly wealthy'. Not so anymore.

19. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    Let's see, with the conversion canadian to american dollars I have.....carry the one....69 cents!!

20. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    When you have a jet, a Bentley, a cigar company, a RE development in Texas, and an uncle who owns a bank as a partner!

21. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Once I can afford to kill my parents, or they die from natural causes. Well, ill only be 500k richer. Id have to 1/2 with my sister.

22. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    When you can *buy* a brand new Gulfstream or Boeing BBJ with your black Amex, and still pay the bankcard bill, then you're a millionaire!

23. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    When just for the hell of it...You can afford to splurge on Taco Bell and share a one scoop sundae with your gal on a Thursday night! ;)

24. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

I'm sorry, now that's just fiscal recklessness. You'll NEVER become a millionaire with an attitude like THAT!

:)

25. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    DAMN!!!