When did Ferrari Club accept the Dino? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

When did Ferrari Club accept the Dino?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Falcon, Apr 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
  2. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    So true Falcon. Ferrari came close to the end as it was in dire straights financially when Enzo went to Fiat and made a deal with Fiat. We were very Concerned at the time of his death as to Ferrari future status- A Fiat/Ferrari, a Fiat or maintain the Ferrari name. Aug of 88 I bought an new Blanco Testa made 3 days prior to Enzo's death thinking it would be one of the Last True Ferrari cars.
    Always loved my 72 Dino, enjoyed it's history which I felt was more connected to Enzo than his 12 cylinder cars as it was inspired by the love he had for his son Dino. At the time I had turned down the purchase of 2 Daytona Coupes for sale. One was the Yates car. I just wanted a Dino.
    Totally a different time, no Carfax baloney, if you wanted to change color or interior colors you just did it at a good shop. Cars for most part didn't need the Scuderia shields(jewelry) to be popular.

3. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    Thank you for sharing those fine photos. I originally guessed that the Dino's were admitted around 1988. It was actually much earlier. Most likely before 1976. That's over 40 years ago so that makes sense why no one knows about it. I don't think we have many members with 40 plus years of experience.

4. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    All the mods on the last car are interesting - headlamp covers, Ferrari wheel caps, fog lights, mirror, Ferrari logo on rear deck.

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Falcon -

Just buy your 4RE SUV. The rest of us don't care.

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Who cares, period. What do SUV's have to do with it anyhow?

Dino, is a Dino, just look at any Italian car magazine, or call the factory, actually better not,
    as nowadays, who knows, and who loses sleep over it. It has become a pathetic melodrama.

Were FIAT Abarth, or Abarth FIAT?

Better yet get in touch with the: http://www.asifed.it/ They will put your restless mind(s) at ease.

Dino is a Dino, not a FERRARI, be it FIAT Dino, or Dino DINO
    Or does anyone really care to start that silly issue again? Can't we ever get over it?

Who gives a rat's behind if the almighty Ferrari Club of (fill in the blank) thinks it is / accepted or not.
    What a pain this has become....

YES, YES, I know, Ferrari built the Dino. What emblem is on the nose, or the steering wheel, or the tail end?

I really think there is a major (fill in the blank) complex here.

Regards, Alberto

7. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

For those of you who might have not understood the SUV part of my comment and Alberto's comment, here is what Falcon wrote in post #10 above -

"My inquiry is a result of Ferrari's announcement for a SUV. In the discussion several people thought an SUV shouldn't be allowed in the Club. I mentioned that they reminded me of how the Dino was excluded from the Club and no one knew what I was talking about. I figured I would go to the 246 experts. Well, no one here knew what I was talking about. So I spoke to some of the oldest members of our local club and they remember the Dino being a non-Ferrari. Now I want to investigate further to discover what really happened when the Dino was introduced and who decided it's exclusion."

Now, if FCHAT will start a Ferrari SUV thread, then Falcon will have a new place to call home!:)

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    A Ferrari SUV, if ever built, will be a.....Ferrari, so why not be allowed into the Club?
    The FF is a crossover 4WD car / shooting-brake, not quite an SUV, but evidently a car
    marketed towards a clientele that is not afraid of driving on salty / wet roads. just MHO.

Is the Lancia Thema allowed in FCA? It has a Ferrari engine but a Lancia badge. Oh my...
    FIAT Dino? Heavens...

Porsche 914, essentially a VW, a car that was built as a joint venture, is allowed in the PCA,
    and in Europe, it was a VW / Porsche. In the USA , it was a P not a VW.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Just like Dino was a joint venture between FIAT and Ferrari. My Dino says "FIAT" on the bolt heads,
    not Ferrari or a prancing horse, and it has...a FIAT engine! I may not sleep tonight.

Yet, in the UK, the Ferrari logo and Horseys, etc., on Dino, were abundant for the same reasons of the 914 badging.
    Different markets, different strokes.

Another identity crisis on the lurch....:)

Regards, Alberto

PS. I think we ought to bury this topic, wait for a Ferrari SUV, then drop the ball.
    Otherwise let's go back to writing about wild things, like mechanical and driving experiences, you know, fun stuff.