When did Ferrari start using slick tires in sports car racing? | FerrariChat

When did Ferrari start using slick tires in sports car racing?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bigodino, Dec 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I've been wondering when slick tires were first used in sports car racing in general and by Ferrari in particular? And were they real slick tires (no thread) from the beginning, or was there a transitional period? Sometimes I see pictures of tires with a very minimal thread pattern and sometimes with no pattern but well used, so maybe the pattern had worn off after use.

Thanks.

Best, Peter

2. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    The BB/LM was the first Sports Racer (IMSA/GTX class) designed for Slicks from the outset.

Comp Daytonas started on treaded race tires but a decade later the last of them racing were all running on slicks.

1969 was the last year I can find pictures of any of my old F1 cars still on treaded tires. All of the 1970s F1 Ferraris I have bought and sold over the years were on slicks.

Hope that helps,

Ciao,

Bill

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

bill i am quite certain that the penske 512m ran slicks before the bblm. correct me if i am wrong.

pcb

4. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for the information so far. I came across some information of the 1967 Le Mans 24h race where Michelin introduced the slick tire with the Alpine-Renault A210. So I started to look at pictures of the 330 P4 and 512 S and M as well as the 312 P "B" but couldn't find any conclusive evidence. Ofcourse tires would still have been treaded depending on the weather circumstances or maybe even road circumstances! I wonder for example if one could do the Targa Florio on slicks?