When Do You Want Your 488 Pista? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

When Do You Want Your 488 Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rossocorsa1, Apr 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

For those who are getting a Pista, when in the production cycle would you prefer to get your car?

1. As early as possible

29 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. As late as possible

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Whenever - Just Grateful I’m On The List

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    True - looks like it ....should be fab!!!... maybe somebody with good organization skills should organize an F-chatters ‘19 mm tribute jaunt thread ...?? I’d read it - and participate ! :)

2. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    #27 ajr550, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    I
    I will try and stick one in Other Racing section (although as we all know it is a time trial !!).Also going to put something re Passione in UK section

JagShergill likes this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #28 Shadowfax, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    I'm sure the Pista is amazing but I certainly wouldn't discount the 488 - it is an amazingly satisfying car to drive and own and would likely see more use than a Pista for obvious reasons. And therein lays the dilemma for those fortunate enough to own the Pista. Exclusivity and rarity evidently has a price which many owners are not willing to pay.

The fear of the car losing so much value after each passing mile must clearly eat away in the minds of those fortunate enough to own the car, so much so they eventually sell it to remove the pain and, to realize the profit whilst it is there to be had. There is no other logical reason for why they all have such little mileage. I mean I can't imagine the car being bad to drive or hard to live with - or maybe it is?

Perhaps someone here who owns one (Aperta) can chime in to enlighten the reasons behind the widespread lack of use.

Napoli likes this.
  4. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am shooting for Tailor Made so it will be a while till I get approved (invited) and eventually the car. Happy to be on the list so lets hope it all pans out.

5. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    it's exactly this, I was talking to an owner who had figured out driving to London and back from Manchester would cost him $15,000 in depreciation - it's cheaper to charter a flight than drive an Arpeta if you have a low mileage car

Napoli likes this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #31 Shadowfax, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    It doesn't surprise me to hear this. The Aperta is a car all enthusiasts would yearn for yet if that dream becomes realized - through whatever stroke of good luck or fortune - reality soon takes hold in that you can't drive it and enjoy it without the pain of knowing the re sale value will fall off a cliff. So the pain and decision "to use, or not use", is then passed on to the next victim whilst one's pants are still on. And so it continues...until the car eventually winds up in a museum 50 years from now with a few thousand Kms on the odo.....

Napoli likes this.
  7. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #32 Napoli, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    From monster machine to garage queen to museum specimen. Reduced to living life in a formaldehyde jar.

Collect miles, not jars!

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have a guy that helps me with trip organisation - I've already mentioned you're interested so since we have the same dealer and live close I would be happy to include you on our circulation list for co-ordinating arrangements, I have a few other friends that are keen too. If you PM an e-mail address, I'll add you in.

JagShergill likes this.
  9. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    As for the Aperta, should both the car and my allocation be confirmed for production, there will be at least one with quite a few miles on it. I have a sneaky suspicion that I might have to give up the coupe allocation to get the Aperta. If that were true, it would have even more miles put on it.... Not sure I would be too worried about depreciation since I would likely keep an Aperta - never had one before and I do think the Pista is such a beautiful car. Might not look quite so nice in Aperta form though. As for a track-special car with a 'compromised' open top, does it matter? The Spider drives great - a little slower and has the odd shimmy, but not with the hood up or on nice fast roads. The coupe is not like a track-only car anyway. Take the spider, sharpen up body control, damping, throttle response and performance. Who wouldn't want that? Might not be quite as sharp as the coupe but for road use the Aperta will just be fabulous and the noise and fun factor will be increased further.

uhn2000 and JagShergill like this.
  10. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    There is now a thread in Other Racing.Long way off but currently 3(the 2 of you and myself) from UK and Challenge 64 are confirmed potential Fchat participants.

JagShergill likes this.
  11. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I just picked up an SV... So ..... 1) my garage is totally full.....2) my girlie says one car extra every two years....

Must listen to the boss... happy wife... happy life..

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Good to hear! If I were lucky enough to be given allocation for Aperta (or Pista coupe) I would also drive it and forego recovery of the original purchase price and/or the making of any profit. I mean why buy a car like this it if you aren't prepared to drive it and put miles on it? It just robs others who are. This is where I wish Ferrari would stop this whole limited nonsense and offer the choice to anyone who may see value in a particular model for their own use. That way it would stop all this ridiculous hoarding that's going on.

Napoli and Lukeylikey like this.
  13. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Thanks buddy

14. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Thanks mate - will do ...appreciate it

15. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Not in my opinion !! Vroooom vroooom! :)

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The reality is that most wont track their Pista's so why not enjoy an open top. To your point, this car is a stunner and more than enough performance to satisfy for years to come.

17. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    Compromised how, by fresh air on lovely days, which most of the world seems to enjoy? Your profile reflects some interesting cars in your past, but oddly no convertibles. So it's simply a matter of preference, not compromise. You owe to yourself on your next purchase to pop the top, let your hair down, strap on Rayban Aviators and enjoy everything the car has to offer, alfresco. You'll have a ball. If by compromised,you mean feeling alive, by all means live compromised. Vive la difference!

18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    My comments were not intended to be personal attacks :)
    The point is that (given the current Ferrari engineering) an open top version has degraded stiffness and added weight, and therefore two important attributes of a track oriented car are actually compromised.
    For a car with touring purposes, these drawbacks could be more than balanced by the benefits of an open top (for people valuing them) but for an allegedly more radical car, they don't make sense in my opinion.
    And when I want fresh air I can ride my motorbike ;)

19. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    Not sure about degraded stiffness. They have all but solved for this with the 488 spider, except under the most grueling track conditions. "The convertible is no longer the "soft option".
    http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/cars-bikes-and-boats/cars/ferrari-488-spider-20170612-gwpf4q
    In any event, I daresay that few of us track our 488's. For those who do, you are right if you are going all out, but for the 99.9% of the rest of us, the spider is a better option and especially for resale.