When F1 had real characters | Page 3 | FerrariChat

When F1 had real characters

Discussion in 'F1' started by SimCity3, Jul 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I have been looking all morning since seeing that post. I'll keep looking and send you a PM if I find anything. If you happen to find something please do the same! Need that in the office.

2012 auction that I wish I would have won. So cheap.
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20147/lot/139/

2. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I will look around - love to have a glace' of that - I'll tell you how I do

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Check out Michaels studio 88 for prints...

I think they can do Custom Giclee for you of all his work...

Studio 88 Limited Custom Giclée Prints

I think Michael Turner's work is the absolute best in the world... I have several signed Giclee's and one original ... that I cherish!

4. Thanks, 'know all about Niki. No shame implied. Was a racin' fan 10 years 'afore he got to F1.
    'Favourite little collector item is an approx. 5" Niki helmet with quartz clock showing thru the visor; 'just don't remember where I stashed it 40 years ago...dumbarse. It's somewhere... :rolleyes: :)

5. Nice....but....
    1968, I was 14, sitting with Art Pollard for 10 mins. in his station wagon before the race at Trenton Int'l Spdwy (1 mile oval) trying to get him to tell me why they (he and Joe Leonard, Graham having already crashed out. Supposedly with "sheared fuel pump shafts") really pulled the 56s off the track in the 500. (Same as the BS "bearing failure" for Jones in '67.) He just gave me a telling little smile for an answer.
    'T'was fantastico for a youngster. :)

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I know that item

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    things have changed since sex became unsafe and driving became safe..... ;)

8. Yes.

9. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    #59 mcimino, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. #60 lorenzobandini, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    That's not "The Bridge', is it? (I know, I know, it's not... :)) I'll forever miss it. 'Was the best course I ever drove on.... :)

"Affectionately known as "The Bridge," New York's Bridgehampton Race Circuit was once called "the most challenging in the States" by none other than British Grand Prix driving ace Stirling Moss."

An excerpt from: https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2007/12/Under-the-Bridge/1556194.html

http://spoonercentral.com/BRIDGEHAMPTON/Picture%207.png
    http://www.barcboys.com/Images/Bridgehampton/early%20Bridge/66%20Can-Am%20chevron%20bridge.jpg

11. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    #61 mcimino, Aug 5, 2017
    I would guess, maybe Sebring... looks like an airfield. Miss Bridgehampton to this day! Use to be nice having a proper road course here on Long Island (with a Moto-Cross track!). Saw Bruce McLaren and Denny Hulme there back in the day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Me too. 'My first visit to it in '69. Denny drifting back to find Chris (who was out in his Ferrari)

Days gone by but never, ever, forgotten. :)

13. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I found one on eBay and bought it right away. I'll ask if they have another and will also let you know the quality when I get it. Apparently it's number 187 of the original run of 500. Signed.

14. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    That is excellent. He did some cool comics as well didn't he?

Which do you have in the house?!

15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Yes, Sebring 1962 in the TR61. Bridgehampton looked that wide ?

16. Naaahhh. Absolutely not. I just brought up The Bridge to feel mcimino out as I noticed he was located on L.I., as was I (on the very west end). 'Understood that it was not Bridgehampton, as mentioned in the post.
    'Been going to Sebring since '75 so recognized the concrete slabs and drive-over immediately. ;) :)

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have one of Gilles Villeneuve at Imola, sigend Giclee, and one of Jakie Stewart in the MS80... and 14x12 of Surtees at Spa on board done in Gouache... plus I have original Posters for Watkins Glen GP from 69, 72, 73, 75,76, 77, 79 ... in my garage ( framed)

18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I can pick out Graham Hill, Jochen Rindt, Dan Gurney, Bruce Mclaren, James Garner. Any other true F1 drivers in photo?

19. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    In the top photo, I see Phil Hill and Richie Ginther. In the bottom photo is Jo "Seppi" Siffert.

20. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Guessing at all of them and I don't know who is playing cards - Bianchi maybe ?

Ligier is lurking in the background , I'd guess Innes in the distant background, Bernard Cahier is the appropriate scribe, looks like Bondurant talking to Mike Spence in the back top photo.

21. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Is that Cevert in the second photo holding the magazine?

22. No. Cevert hadn't hit the scene back in '65. That's the actor (don't know his name) that played "Nino Barlini". I remember the name distinctly as I figured it was inspired by Lorenzo's... :)

23. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full cast listing here:

Grand Prix (1966) - IMDb

24. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Antonio Sabato (Sr.)

25. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    #75 tifoso2728, Aug 10, 2017
    "Grand Prix" director John Frankenheimer doing some directing. In between the lady in pink and the guy in the blue shirt is Chris Amon. Notice that it says "Sarti" on his uniform. The chap on the right of the photo is Phil Hill. Notice it says "Tim Randolph" on his uniform. Phil Hill had a few speaking lines in the movie. Most noteworthy, Hill drove the modified Ford GT40 camera car.

Bernard Caheir photo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login