when is a Classische restoration a replica? | FerrariChat

when is a Classische restoration a replica?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by intrepidcva11, Jul 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Ferrari Classische Department has done a full restoration on 1954 Ferrari 500 Mondial Spider #0438MD that included the installation of a new version of its original engine to comply with its construction specifications and be issued a Certificate of Authenticity. It's headed to Pebble Beach.

'New version' of course means that Ferrari Classische built a brand-new engine from all of the original design drawings and of the same materials, or did the Dept use newer and better materials based on subsequent metallurgical knowledge?

Though there is no question that the Pebble judges will accept this car without a quibble.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

Some Emperors have no clothes.

3. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #3 Bisonte, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    Interesting, so this car is on its sixth engine now.

the original
    a Tipo 105 3-litre Monza engine in 1956
    a Chevrolet V8 in 1957
    0538M's 750 Monza engine in 1971
    ??? (0538M got its engine back ~1993, replacing the Chevy V8 it had at the time. Both cars were restored that year.)
    the Classiche engine

I'm curious what engine was installed during the '93 restoration. Bryanp or his father may know that, among others.

500 Mondial PF Spyder 0438MD

Detail - 750 Monza s/n 0538M

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Because Ferrari did the work, I'd consider it a restoration. But there's not much left from 1954...

5. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    #5 babci, Jul 23, 2015
    "New version' of course means that Ferrari Classische built a brand-new engine from all of the original design drawings and of the same materials"

It is a well known that Ferrari does not manufacture, founder, nor machine the original vintage engines used in Classiche restorations within the grounds of the factory. Every "Classiche" vintage period engine is manufactured by subcontract vendors in the Modena area (Classiche may employ parts made outside of the Modena area or Italy ie. Roelofs or others into these engines). Classiche may assemble those subcontract manufactured parts into a completed finished unit. In most cases Classiche install the finished engine and merely sprinkle the "Holy Water" (reputedly local Lambrusco that has gone bad) on the finished product and issue the appropriately colored "Certification" book.

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Well put. One idea is to create a separate class for the Classiche'd cars. tonga's crew

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hi - the story of the various motors is too much of a headache to try to explain here. I can say that 0538M has its correct motor now.

8. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    In other words if Ferrari puts an entirely different or newly built engine in a car it becomes the original. But if anyone else were to install the engine from the next car that came off of the assembly line behind said car, it is a fake and only worth half as much.
    No wonder their Country is in the toilet

9. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004

Eventually ,all the older cars will have to be certified if you hope to sell at a high price. The new uneducated new buyers will request it. Today, the first thing a buyer asks for is the book. Especially if it is a very high priced car. Because old timers and Internet people speak negitive about the program, it is here to stay. Like it or not.

P

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    All?

Have to?

Dino Competizione?

Ferrari 512s Modulo?

11. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    If the above cars were constructed by PF They would not be certified by Ferrari
    They would have to be certified by PF 😃

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Is there any reason why your cars would be exempt from authentication by Ferrari Classiche?

13. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I guess it is because you are not a "new uneducated buyer" ;)

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Exempt???

Not sure I understand what you're asking.

None of my cars have been nor will they ever be during my lifetime.

After that I doubt my kids will have any interest in Classiche as they don't presently.

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I am very sorry but your question seemed to infer that because they are your cars they are above the Classiche authentication process.

16. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    where are you getting this?? I would like to think that my father has helped educate the Factory re; the four-cylinder cars. We know better than the Factory what we have and have no need of a Certificate.

edit: perhaps you are being facetious and it am not getting it thru the web.

17. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    To add a bit "from the horse's mouth", I had acquired the basic car, 0438MD, as a derelict, with no engine, no instruments, no seats, etc., and no idea what I was going to do with it. I discovered that the body was covered with a layer of fiberglass. Then, I heard that a 750 Monza engine was in a wrecking yard in Tijuana, Mexico, having been taken across the border when the Feds were after Tony Parravano. I drove down there and searched the wrecking yards until I found the engine marked 0538M, complete less carbs and half it's exhaust headers. I bought it for 800 Pesos, about $200, loaded it into the trunk of my wife's Mercedes, paid the duty at the border, and made it home with the tail dragging. I had no notion of combining the car and engine, but when Dick Merritt heard about what I had he bought the package and sold it on to England, where it languished for many years. In those days we were not so much into history, and I only learned later that the car had been a von Neumann car and had run with a Monza engine. Sorry, my computer will not download pix from the day.

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    You may know what you have but potential buyers may not. It's great that Classiche have taken advice from the Admiral regarding a 4 cylinder car. That you do not need Classiche doesn't give you the right to undermine its merit.

I wasn't being facetious. Napolis's answer confirmed what I thought

19. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Ferrari Classiche is nothing more than a profit center for Ferrari and they couldn't care less about the cars. But as long as they can convince anyone interested in buying one that they should have it blessed by them with their cheap wine for an insane price they will keep doing it.

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #20 miurasv, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
    Red Book Classiche means the car is at the time of certification "as original", not necessarily "original."

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    True.

22. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    So by your logic, anyone owning a vintage Ferrari needs to line up like a good soldier, fork over $30k, $40k, $50k for a red binder (what does that binder run these days?), otherwise we are "undermining" Ferraris commercial venture?? We are required to support Ferrari's commercial venture? Interesting view. Are you an FNA employee or perhaps employed by an authorized Ferrari dealer/shop?

We are big fans of Sgr. Arrighi, but nothing I say will undermine the Classiche department - he has a monumental task where his team needs to be right 100% of the time. We're just opting not to play. Classiche's early mis-steps are well known - SpA undermined itself with its early mistakes and, in my opinion, not concentrating on the vintage parts aspect of the department as much as they should have out of the gate.

23. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Like others here, my cars will not be subjected to "certification" in my lifetime. I know exactly what I have and do not need an expensive "pat on the back" by the factory. Classiche is a "profit center", nothing more, nothing less. There is nobody left at the factory that knows how the old cars were made.

It is a fact that the auction company's attempt to get sellers to certify cars. They do this knowing that the "Red Book" helps market the car to new, uneducated buyers. However, as I review auction results, I am not sure it actually generates higher sales prices.

The Classiche staff has had continued turnover as people are reassigned within the company. This alone keeps the level of knowledge low and the resulting number of "mistakes" high.

It is true that almost no actual work is done at the factory, most everything is outsourced to other shops and suppliers.

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    True.

"The right?"

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #25 Napolis, Jul 23, 2015
    True and those of us who know who does the real and best work are able to use these shops at a MUCH lower cost than going through The Naked Emperor.