When is Classiche not Classiche? Please Ferrari, help. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

When is Classiche not Classiche? Please Ferrari, help.

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Camlet1, Sep 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Actually, why not try a second ecu, as a slave, add some ev14 injectors, that are quite precise and try to run timed injection like I guess Materazzi tried at high rpm? Cams might need a look for duration, but with good flowing injectors might not be needed to increase duration. Matt will know better than me tho, but this will be actually a good solution and you will make power.

I realy never thought much about why did the f40 ran 2 injectors per cylinder, always assumed it was as an assistent on high rpm, but now I'm not sure if Materazzi not tried to do timed injection at high rpm like in race cars (probably like the group b cars he worked on).
    Quite neat.

Does anyone have literature on the f120 from the 288 evo and f40?

2. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    #27 fbrs2, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Yep heard that trick. Thought it might open a can of worms wrt swirl/turbulence/combustion/hot spots etc.. Any idea what Michelotto did with the lm/gte's? Our injectors are custom from ASNU. Mapping the Cossy ECU wouldnt be an issue.

3. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    I'm pretty sure LM ran with the stock ecu weber marelli iaw.
    Did you saw my second reply? Why not run a second motec as a slave? I know there are cars running 16 injectors on 1 ecu, but the injection method is adapted. Your motec tuner should know the solutions to this, of you don't have one find one or just try the cosworth ecu, if your guy is familiar with them, that's better than try to guess work.

4. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Thanks Luigi, yes i did read your second, the problem is I didn't know enough a few weeks ago to ask the right questions but I'm learning thanks to exchanges like this. Much appreciated. Will enquire about slave option. Apologies to OP back to Classiche!

5. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Just my last, try to search on motec forum. Pretty sure someone has the solution, and find someone very comfortable with motec, no need for fool around.
    P.S. please continue to update your thread.

6. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I believe this thread IS about an F50's original muffler system :) …….. But as always, the threads get easily derailed...…. :)

Smiles, fbrs2, Camlet1 and 2 others like this.
  7. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    I have two silencers original and look like not much used. PM me if You are interested

fbrs2 likes this.
  8. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Is the dealer one of the Classiche work shops? If so I'd wager they'll pass your car without, just as, I'm told, they'll pass a car where they fitted the tubi and know the owner has the original. Its an unsatisfactory solution for sure. The other option is legal i guess. Sounds like they would be on thin ice selling the car as Classiche.

9. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Why do you even need to have an F50 Classiche certified? Are there people making F50 copies that are so good that you can't tell the difference between a real F50 and a reproduction, no. The cars are so new that there should be no problem tracing it's ownership history and if it was in an accident or not. It just seems like a waste of time and money to me. It's one thing when you are dealing with 60 year old on-off race cars, and another with almost new production cars.

fbrs2 and sixcarbs like this.
  10. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    You are all going to die, like me, someday. Who cares. Drive it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sixcarbs likes this.
  11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #36 joe sackey, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    He already has the Classiche Certification book, he clarified this in his very first post.

The Classiche Certification came with the car as he mentioned in the first post, so he didn't spend any time or money on it, he just would like the original exhaust as the Classiche Certification suggests he should have so the car's package is complete.

He drives it, quite a lot in fact.

Camlet1 and of2worlds like this.
  12. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    I know. I thought Classiche now required an annual inspection to keep it valid? Strikes me that by selling a modified car as certified the onus is on the dealer to find him an exhaust.

joe sackey and of2worlds like this.
  13. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    (and in the mean time 'look after' him come re-inspection time)

joe sackey and of2worlds like this.
  14. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Classiche back then when this car was last certified and sold was the same as the basis of the UK MOT test, its only applicable on the day it was issued, and not a validation of the car going forward, people were putting cars back to standard just for the day of the inspection then swapping back the non standard parts after that.

Ferrari soon cottoned on and latterly introduced the annual inspection, which again is a waste of time, as owners of post modified cars will simply skip the annuals until they decide to sell, put the car back to standard and have a re inspection at that time.

I don't see that Macari has done anything wrong here unless they gave a guarantee at the time of sale the car was 100% as last tested for classiche?

I imagine the improved sound was actually a selling point at the time.

15. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    You say the car is a keeper. Why on earth would you care about classiche unless you actually plan to sell it or go to some Ferrari events which require classiche to enter?

I remember last year at the 70th anniversary concourse at Maranello there were F50s with the wrong exhaust, and obviously no one cares enough to check. For Ferrari it's a simple money making exercise. Just drive your car and enjoy the "better" sound would be my advice.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I'm not sure if an annual inspection is required in all jurisdiction such as the USA for example, but in any case, since the deal happened several years ago, perhaps he's not confident the dealer will supply the unit and he just wants to take care of having all the components himself.

That would be nice.

17. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Absolutely. I couldn't care less about Classiche certification but there's no doubt some people will pay more for an F50 with it, than the cost of sourcing another OEM exhaust; how ever much that may be. It makes perfect sense to find one regardless of the fact that it should have come with one!

18. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    For me it’s about transparency and trust. The car was advertised as Classiche. But it wasn’t at the time of its sale, according to the rules.

I’m not selling the car nor am I naming the dealer, I’m just pointing out for others; Buyer Beware. And that Ferrari needs to either make new oem systems for the F50 or relax their rule over “lost” exhausts.

To be clear, the car was listed on the dealer’s website as Classiche, but according to the dealer’s timeline which was confirmed last week by them in an email, the car’s oem exhaust had disappeared between the time the Classiche was done (at their premises) and the car being advertised for sale (by them). The missing gap was c 10 months.

The dealer says the owner took the car back after the Classiche, switched the complete oem system, and returned the car to them with Tubis. They have no knowledge who carried out the work. At the time of buying the car I was none the wiser and per my original post here, that’s my bad.

The car was pictured with Tubis on their site but it was also advertised as Classiche, which it clearly wasn’t at the time of sale. This is not a minor item, and definitely not the sort of thing you’d expect from a well known dealer. The dealer should have pointed out the exhaust had been changed, and/or have placed a caveat on their ad.

I asked them 18 questions about the car, which they answered, but I didn’t know to ask about the status of the exhaust. Like I said, my bad.

The dealer said last week in the mail they are contacting the previous owner to see what he says, and is willing to sell it? I’m not holding my breath. I will report back.

joe sackey likes this.
  19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This is silly. Just my opinion. I would never buy or not buy a car based on Classiche.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not silly at all, just what happened, and it happens more than some think, many a time a car will come minus ancillary components it should have come with and it takes the new owner years to figure this out.

Also, you are assuming he bought the car "based on Classiche", which I don't think is the case at all. The car's advertisement as Classiche Certified was simply a nice point amongst many other considerations (mileage, condition, history etc) in it's favor, and generally, people like to get what was advertised, that's all.

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah, I get that, but I think Porsche’s approach makes a lot more sense. Here’s what the car had when it left the factory. What has happened to it since then is not our problem.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed, Porsche Ag's COA is a lot simpler.

23. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Agreed. As Joe pointed out, I bought the F50 because it’s arguably one of the finest special series Ferrari has produced. I met Lorenzo Ramaciotti (its designer) last year. Apart from being one of the greats of cardesign he impressed on me how much effort went into the F50, the brilliance of the design.

My key concern is how Ferrari applies rules to Classiche which inadvertently pushes passionate owners like me between a rock and hard place. As you point out with Porsche, either relax the rules or make oem parts available.

My point about the dealer is they could have pointed out the issue. Yes I know business is business, but I also know you can’t buy reputation.

24. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Well the previous owner knows what happened to the exhaust. I would put pressure on the selling dealer to find out what happened to it. They should take responsibility towards getting it back to you. Did they represent the car as having the original exhaust (photos, etc.) when they sold it?

25. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    #50 Motob, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    It's kind of ridiculous that they will not certify an F50 for something as trivial a non-original exhaust. Pretty much 100% of the old Ferraris that have been certified do not have the original exhausts. I have seen a car that was Classiche certified which consisted of two different cars welded together with engine numbers restamped, engine internal numbers eradicated, Pinifarina body numbers eradicated. Another was a USA spec car that had all of the emission controls removed, with incorrect non-matching engine and body modified with european lights. These cars were so bad that I would recommend that no-one should buy them, yet they had the red book so some unsuspecting people bought them. The mind reels.

of2worlds, Jakuzzi and Texas Forever like this.