When to sell your bikes and quit riding? | FerrariChat

When to sell your bikes and quit riding?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by arachnyd, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I bought my two current bikes in 2009 and 2011, and have put on a whopping 2050 and 17 miles respectively. Now my 09 is getting to the point where I need to start replacing rubber just from age, and it makes me wonder why I still have them. I love to ride but it's never convenient and end up being a chore.

Back when I had my last few bikes, I easily put 40k+ miles on them. Then I moved to a bigger city where is a hassle, and cars seen to just plow you off the road.

Has anyone sold their last bikes and regretted it? (After all, having a "what if" opportunity is nice)?

I think I'm going to keep the touring bike and sell the rocket. But then I keep thinking, why not just get a Porsche 911 or slingshot, both of which are 10x more practical?

Anyone go either way and have retrospective thoughts?

2. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I sold my two 2 stroke rockets and one BMW. I kept the touring BMW, I hardly ride so I miss the rocket.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Interestingly there were at least three threads on this subject back in 2014, two in Silver and one here.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/motorcycles-boats/471917-hang-up-your-helmet.html

I regret selling every one of my bikes and deeply miss not having even one in the garage. But, where I live, it's suicidal to ride so the poor bike just wastes away from lack of use.

Some day I'll find an early injected Monster for a rebuild project.

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Never regretted it, and I had some sweet rides (in my opinion). A few custom Sportsters, last one was pretty hot - drag bike, low with a longer swingarm and breathed-on motor.

Sold it when my youngest was born. Bought a few classic cars instead and never looked back.

I did keep my 1967 Honda CL/77, which was my father's (he bought it second hand in late 1967). First bike I ever rode on (although my first individual ride was a monkey bike). Only 8,300 original miles. Will be restored - one day!

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I have been thinking the same. I am down to just my ducati 916. I am contemplating a sale but she will be hard to sell as I will miss having her ready should I decide to go out and drag a knee.

7. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I just traded my Suzuki V strom on a Fiat 500. I know that sounds funny, but I've always liked the Fiat. And if felt like owning a motorcycle was like catching herpes. Easy to do but hard to get rid of. So trading into the car made sense for me. Anyway, I don't regret it. I have access to a bike to ride if I want to at my in laws. Too many texting/inattentive drivers. And the financial harm of being off work due to injury and its repercussions were too much for me to continue.

8. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Sold the Monster a few years after we moved into NYC. Not the traffic, potholes or cabbies...hell, they keep you sharp! Just a PITA in the city...Park on street, get knocked over, stolen, vandalized or ticketed, and a garage was probaby $100 a month on a depreciating asset.

Killer was buying a beach house, which made my riding season Oct-April in the NE US. Challenging, even with electrics...

At some point, there will be another. The idea, however, is that you own your posessions...not the other way around. Sell one, sell both. If you miss it badly enough, there'll be another for you, too.

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The last time I drove through NYC ('09 or '10), mid-town traffic on a Friday afternoon, the only bikes I saw were Ducatis. One 999 and two Monsters. :)

But I can see the downsides that you mention.

10. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    17 miles?

11. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I don't drive everything I have but I buy what I love in the beginning so that even when it doesn't get the constant attention I can look at it.

12. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Finally sold my bike last weekend. It was really tough watching someone else ride it away.

I think it was the right decision seeing how I only got to ride it about 20 miles this year. Off to shop for a fun car instead...

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    When you feel too old, buy a Harley. The brakes are crap, the frame a noodle, and the motor highly charismatic like a steam engine. You feel like you are going really fast when you are not.

its like a two wheeled morgan, a modern day reliable antique. The perfect antidote to always having to go faster, restoring the joy of just operating the machine.

With fuel injection, stabil and a good battery tender they can sit for months or more between use.

14. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Last time I owned one was 2007/08, a 636 and I was 23. Life got busy. My interests changed. Got married, and now with a 1.5 yr old baby girl, it makes it hard to imagine doing the things I did on that thing ... Will I own another? Absolutely. But when the times right and I have more free time sooooooooo when I'm 80 :) lol

15. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    I hung up my riding boots when my first child was born. Damn responsibility..... You'll find other interests to pursue. You can always buy another.

16. Moondog4224

Moondog4224 Rookie

Jan 10, 2015
    I just listed my Ducati 916, 86 GSXR 1100, 04 GSXR 750 Schwantz Cup Bike and 88 FZR 1000 vintage race bike....
    Keeping my WR450 street legal supermoto.....
    Wife said no more bike road racing and street scares me now with texting etc.....

2 doors vs. 2 wheels now.....

Any regrets on past sales reach out.... ;)
    [email protected]

17. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I had an old Duc for years and sold it in 2010. I missed having one so much that I bought another one last year. I haven't ridden it much (maybe 400 miles) but it is quite a rush.

Like many of you have noted, riding today is not like it was 10 years ago. There is much more distraction and traffic now. I save my seat time for the backroads away from the crazy drivers.

What also helped is that I bought one of my childhood dream bikes. My 80s car magazines shared equal desk space with Cycle and Cycle World.

So, I'm having as much fun looking at it as I do riding it. The satisfaction of having it after all these years is enough justification to keep it.

LSJ

18. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Sold a nice lil collection in 2012 when I bought my current house to fund the un expected. When the dust settled, I had a plan to buy another TR. I did and bought a 911 to be my daily sports car driver.

I have multiple helmets, leathers, boots, gear etc. Ill get another bike. Perhaps another Vrod or the new Africa Twin. Im a little to old for another sport bike.

19. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    My Ducati 916 has been out once in the last year.
    Between texting drivers, potholes, and loose gravel from the pothole trucks, it's too risky to ride here.
    It's time to sell it, but I like looking at it now as much as riding.
    I'll probably sell it in the spring and put the money towards a GT cruiser.

20. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Saw and accident happen over the weekend that would have killed a motorcyclist. Guy pulled out to turn left and T-boned the car in front of me so hard it flipped the car (Jeep) on its side.

We called 911. Guy got out and his body language to the lady as she crawled out of her car was "look what the side of your car did to the front of my truck!"

Makes you think.

21. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I'm going the other way. Bought 3 bikes this year.

22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're a good man. Keep waving that flag high.

23. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    When I got the chance to relocate back to Colorado six years ago, one of the main criteria for choosing a house was that it be within reasonable distance from a canyon entrance. I found a place within a couple of miles of Golden Gate Canyon (west of Denver) and that has become my playground for grinding rubber off of the tires.

I still ride regularly and put 3500 miles on a new bike over the past year. Not a huge amount but enough to stir the blood and remind me I am only as old as I feel. Curves have a way of keeping one young at heart. It is one of them new fangled "dual sport" adventure bikes that in reality is a sport bike for old farts who can no longer tolerate the yoga moves required to fit on and ride a sport bike for more than 15 min.

Shiny side up!!

Brock

24. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

My Dad still rides his 40's Indian and 340-B Indian around the area, and he's 92. If you enjoy riding keep it up, you'll get plenty of rest when your dead.

25. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Good for him! One can only hope to maintain that energy....

Brock