When was your "I'm buying a Ferrari" moment? | FerrariChat

When was your "I'm buying a Ferrari" moment?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by iheartf430s, Jun 8, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iheartf430s

iheartf430s Rookie

Feb 17, 2023
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've wanted a Ferrari since I was 12. Now I'm 44 and feel like it's perhaps reasonable:
    529's for the 3 kids, a bit in 401k, a bit stashed aside, salary looks OK, although it dipped a bit in the past 2 years (commission).

I tend to be conservative, and a Ferrari is the last thing people associate with "being conservative". Although I think if times get tough, it won't lose much value.

So I'm wondering, when yall came to that "moment". Retirement? Just did it? Obviously, they'll be some ballers on here that never had to worry about it....

Care to share your journey?

2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Yeah I got tired of throwing money away at trying to hedge against black swan events, so now I throw that equal money towards ferraris - at least if the world ends I'll be having fun with a v12

NGooding, TheMayor and nikcaravaggio like this.
  3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Hooza Goodboi
    #3 GrigioGuy, Jun 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
    In both cases it was just a "**** it" moment. The first almost 22 years ago, the second a month ago. In neither case could I rationally afford it. But stress is a motivator, and if you buy right you really can't lose that much if you need to sell. (But I haven't sold one yet)

My only regret is not buying a good-deal 360 in 2015 and making it my second, and the new one my third :) I was rational and did the math -- BIG mistake.

NOTE: I buy used cars that are near the bottom of their depreciation curve. Nothing I said is accurate for new cars.

4. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    2010- A guy I had built a relationship with a guy that had a well-driven but meticulously maintained 355 GTS and was trading it for a 458- I said to my dealer don't even advertise it- I want it- was my poster car and now own it :cool:

John Maxwell likes this.
  5. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    I was 37, middle of Covid, always wanted one, I could afford it and just said screw this I'm buying one....wanted a mid engine but guy local had a California, went to see it and had to have it bought it cash, probably even paid too much.

That was that, now in the market for a 458. It honestly just came down to me turning off the rational reasoning section of my brain and just doing it....something I don't normally do.

6. kestrou

kestrou Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2023
    Danville, IL
    Full Name:
    Kevin E. Stroud
    My family has always been into classic American muscle cars - but I’m the black sheep, into two wheels death machines…

To continue my contrariness, I picked up a Lotus Evora 400 several years ago and liked it a lot, but - of course - always looking to upgrade.

When the Lotus Emira was announced, I looked hard at the marketing fluff and it wasn’t an engine upgrade by any means… glanced around and figured out I could get into the low end of the Ferrari market for pretty much the same money - and here I am! :)

Kevin

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Still waiting for that moment, they are always on the consideration list, I've driven lots of them...but always bought something else. For me, I think the magic probably ended with the cars of the early 70s with just a few exceptions (like the F50, Enzo).

But if I ever try again (time is running out), Ferrari will again be on the consideration list.....maybe there is a car within the budget that still has the magic.

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Hooza Goodboi
    #8 GrigioGuy, Jun 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    Just do it. Worst case you sell it in a year, lose a bit of money, and can still have had the experience.

Edit: speaking as a guy from a trailer park, there's not much better moment than the first time you see this view:

Attached Files:

BDubbs, TheMayor, mvaldezf60 and 5 others like this.
  9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    After a 328 GTS test drive at Ferrari of Denver in 2004, I knew I wanted one. Then Sport Auto in NC posted a listing for a black metallic 328 on their website, and the color combination left me pretty much helpless to say 'no'. I was nervous enough that I actually paid Sport Auto (Tom Jones -- but not the singer) to do a major service just to make 100 percent sure nothing would explode upon delivery.

Attached Files:

TheMayor likes this.
  10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Absolutely. Just don't go into a financial hole to do it, but I've had a lot of cars whose sole purpose was to scratch that automotive itch. Life is a one way trip, and if you're reading this you already know a Prius isn't how you want to make that trip.

NGooding and MacNugget like this.
  11. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    All 3 of mine have been…. Browse and mentally j**k myself off not believing I could actually afford it, then kinda just checking with bank to see if I’d even get approved and then ‘ah F it’ and do it once I get surprised that I’m approved…. Then I figure out how to pay for it after.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

haithman likes this.
  12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    My "moment" was an epiphany. Late one Sunday afternoon, I was rushing to get some repair finished on my 1991 BMW 318i track car. It was not going well.

It suddenly hit me: why am I spending so much time and effort fixing something worth so little? (I shouldn't have given the 318i away as their prices HAVE risen dramatically.) I decided to buy something worth working on. I first targeted an E30 M3 but their prices had already risen. I couldn't believe I could buy a 308 QV for just a little bit more than an M3.

I have never looked back. I love my little 308.

NGooding and NYC Fred like this.
  13. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    On 9/11. I was never in danger, but I watched the towers collapse from my office window. I actually knew, almost immediately, that the damage in the building was much worse than being reported on TV after the first plane hit, because computer monitoring software I had written showed errors in our WTC systems that could only occur with a catastrophic event. It's was just eerie to see that very grim status on the computer screen, from my own software, while the news was still saying it was a small commuter plane that hit the building. I could also see the hole in the building from my office window and knew it couldn't be a small plane. There was no communication working, so we couldn't find out the status of the people we knew were in the building (did not end well for most). On the drive home, after the second tower collapsed, I saw a Jeep that had collided dead-center into a cement divider that split the highway left and right. I'm certain the driver couldn't help but stare at the tower as it collapsed. Many, many feelings to ponder and process and deal with that day (and for a very long time after, and still today). The one feeling relevant to this thread was that "life is short". That could not have been more indelibly stamped on my brain from witnessing it first hand. It's a million miles different seeing than seeing it on TV. I could have afforded a Ferrari long before that day -- and it was always a dream -- but oddly hadn't occurred to me to buy one. Too busy working to enjoy the fruits. After I took time to process all that had happened, I was looking for a Ferrari the next day.

MJGinTX, 375+, 96redLT4 and 3 others like this.
  14. iheartf430s

iheartf430s Rookie

Feb 17, 2023
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Wow!!! Thanks for that account and your perspective. Fascinating and terrifying at the same time. Life is short. My eldest daughter is approaching the end her High-school career, and it seems like just yesterday we were dropping her off at pre-school.
    Thanks for sharing!

peterp likes this.
  15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I was 35 living in a 280 sq ft garage converted into an apartment, in a not great part of town, in a place that I hated living. I had very little debt except for a small car loan for my '01 Z06. I had got my first W2 worth over $20k just a few years before and was working overtime just to make $40k. I always had Ferraris and Lamborghinis on my walls growing up, but it never seemed like a reality. I was just browsing craigslist and put in "Ferrari" just for S&G's.

I decided right then and there that I was going to change everything with my life. I was held back by the depressed area I had been living in for almost 2 decades...I had been wanting to move back down south for many years (originally from GA), so I quit my job, loaded up my old truck and headed south. I stayed with my parents for a couple months, and got what I consider my first "real" job that allowed me to use my degree. This was April 2016. I closed on my first house in July and that December I put a Ferrari in my garage.

16. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I was 28 and lowballed the guy.
    He said yes, I said oh ****, guess I bought a Ferrari...
    Next call was to my wife, to tell her "we" just bought a Ferrari...:eek::D
    I grew up liking muscle cars first, and didn't get into these until well into my 20's. I couldn't really afford it, but just enough where it wasn't a stretch, and we didn't have kids yet. Now I think I just hate all cars in general :)

TheMayor and Doug. like this.
  17. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I was 15 when I fell in love with them.

I was 26 when I realized I could buy my poster car, a 360 Modena. I decided not to because I didn't own a house yet. Kind of let the idea go for a few years.

I fully committed to buying one at 32, but realized as a married man now with a kid...it's gonna be a long time until I do.

It's going to be the biggest personal purchase I've ever made (I don't count the house because that's for the whole family), so I feel an obligation to take care of other things first. My daughter is going to need her first car later this year, after that the wife (and I) want to get a lake house. Tri-toon along with it. I've loved these cars for so long my patience is infinite. I have plenty of other hobbies that take up all of my free time (motorcycles) so I'm not really missing being back in a sports car. I enjoy learning about them, reading about them and going to a show or two a year to admire them.

May sound weird, but when I came to the realization back in 2015 that I actually could make it happen without being financially stretched, that in itself kind of gave me the feeling of having accomplished it. Looking back, I do regret letting other people in my ear sway me away from it then. I could have had the 360 paid off before I got married and bought a house and had a kid. Now, I probably won't actually buy one for another 10-15 years, but that's simply because it's way down the list of my priorities.

One of the things that has kept it alive for me is FChat. This place is awesome. The people, the knowledge. If it wasn't for here I'd probably have two 911's in my garage. Today.

But I'll wait instead.

18. 599F1

599F1 Karting

Jun 5, 2023
    Full Name:
    599F1
    Great thread. The moment for me was driving into work one day about 2007 stopped at a light behind a then brand new red 599. I fell in love. 10 years later was in the market for a California and went to the dealer to check out two different ones. They had a 2010 599 HGTE in the front show room and I forgot all about the California. Bought it on the spot and still have it.

NYC Fred, kestrou and rob5819 like this.
  19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Hooza Goodboi
    There's always a reason to NOT buy a Ferrari.

You age faster than you think. Just buy it.

20. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I could have written this myself, minus the kids part. You and I have been members here almost the same amount of time.

What really sucks is I almost bought an F-430 6 speed back in 2017/2018 for ~$150k. I passed for similar reasons that you listed above. By trying to be logical and responsible, I cost myself $100k+ because these cars are worth so much more now.

So literally by not buying one, I lost $100k. It hurts to think of it that way!

Doug. likes this.
  21. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I thought about buying a 308. Had learned about the different variants and had pretty much decided I wanted a carbed one. One day I was perusing Fleabay and one popped up so I bid.

It needed a little work, ok turns out it needed quite a bit, but I upped my bid last minute by a couple hundred bucks and I won.

Had it for about 12 years and met a ton of people, had experiences, and went places and did things I probably never would have without that car.

Just do it and enjoy it. Ya only live once and life may not turn out the way you think if you wait too long.

Besides, it's fun to peek out in the garage and be able to say three of the most special words to yourself......"That's My Ferrari". :D

NYC Fred likes this.
  22. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    In my father’s last years he started badgering me a bit about still driving my, at the time, 20+ year-old Volvo. I would counter that he taught me to never spend money on something that was not needed, and that I didn’t NEED a new car. He even told me to use his checkbook to buy one. One of the last face-to-face conversations I had with him, a few months before he passed, he looked at me, somewhat frustrated, and said, “If you’re not going to buy a new car now, do me one favor: once I have passed, and everything is settled out, buy yourself a new car, something you like, whether you need it or not.” About 2 years after he passed, I was near to turning 50, and I got an urge for a sports car. I went looking at Porsches, but the local dealers upon seeing me drive up in my meticulously maintained 20+ year-old Volvo didn’t give me the time of day. I guess I didn’t fit their profile. A much different reception at our local Ferrari dealer where I was greeted warmly and guided graciously through the few months while a fitting car was located and the deal done. Several months later, I asked the GM at the Ferrari dealer if he thought I would be buying a Ferrari when he saw me for the first time, because the Porsche guys had blown me off due to the underwhelming impression I made on them with the venerable Volvo. His response was, “Absolutely. I saw that the Volvo was old, but in perfect condition. You were driving it because you wanted to, NOT because it was all you could afford. You were clearly a car guy. And when you told me you had not purchased a car in over 20 years, I figured you had saved a LOT of money !” It has now been 20 years, and I still have that first Ferrari.....and the Volvo.

BDubbs, BB84, MJGinTX and 24 others like this.
  23. kestrou

kestrou Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2023
    Danville, IL
    Full Name:
    Kevin E. Stroud
    I gotta do more than just hit “like” - this brings a tear to my eye! :)

Kevin

BDubbs, Doug. and EnzoItaly like this.
  24. audi_328

audi_328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Love it.

25. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    When I got Covid and felt like I was going to die. YOLO

timjen88, TheMayor and willcrook like this.