When was your "I'm buying a Ferrari" moment? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

When was your "I'm buying a Ferrari" moment?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by iheartf430s, Jun 8, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I made the decision at age 10 when I saw a photo of a 250 GTO. Bought my first Ferrari at age 40(playing the long game).

TheMayor and 19633500GT like this.
  2. USMCS6

USMCS6 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Arlington VA and Daytona Fl
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Had a good couple years in business.Sold some property and had cash. Looked at my stock account and said F'it. always wanted a Ferrari.Bought a super clean 1 owner F430. Loved it and became involved in the community. Had the chance to trade it on a tri color 458 for what I paid. We do a ton of events and love it. I'll probably keep the 458 and add either a Challenge, or a V12. Cant take it with you!

3. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    as soon as I could afford it - slightly before then :)

4. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I always dreamed of one, but the big moment for me happened on a beautiful Sunday morning in Lauderdale by The Sea in Florida 18 years ago. My wife and I were walking to a local breakfast place near us and as I turned the corner there was a spectacular Rossa 430 Spider parked right in front of the place we were going. When they seated us for breakfast I stared at that car the entire time and a short time later I had one.

NYC Fred and 05F430F1 like this.
  5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    It was around 5 or 6 - I wanted a Ferrari, just like the one I saw at Watkins Glen. bought it at age 25. it was the goal I set for myself.... not to sound cocky, but I usually am good at achieving goals... by hook or by crook.

NYC Fred likes this.
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Ten Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When I was 22 I made enough money to buy a beat up 246 Dino Gt and to be honest, I didn't think much about "oh I just bought a Ferrari". It was just an old car that I really liked but needed a lot of work. In fact I didn't drive it for a year while it was being worked on. It wasn't running. I checked on it every few months when I would come to Phoenix (where I found the car and a friend of mine was getting it back together). The days before the internet were like that. You just didn't get updates on long term projects like we do today.

Years later in 2008 I ordered a new F43o spider from Ferrari of Beverly Hills after waiting 3 years on "the list". Every 6 months or so I would call the sales person asking if I still might get one.

Finally getting the call, walking into the dealership, telling the receptionist I was there, ordering the car on the salesmens's configurator, not asking what the various options costed (if you have to ask you can't afford it), paying the deposit and signing the contract was a special "OMG I've made it" moment. Picking the car up some 6 months later was special --seeing it in their tiny showroom for the first time.

I've owned 7 but that first one I got from the factory was really special because so few get to experience it. It was more about celebrating success than it was "I just bought a Ferrari".

willcrook and audi_328 like this.
  7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    1999. i was 34. had made some money, and did not want to be THAT guy who bought a ferrari only late in life..... (enzo did say that he made cars that young men dreamed of, but only old men could afford :) )

anyway, i bought a '92 348ts, and it was the biggest automotive disappointment of my life. ( i have told the story many times on this site)
    but i had caught the ferrari bug. :)

it was cursed by satan himself, and after it had finally been stolen for the 3rd time, i replaced it with a 512tr which is my favorite car of all, and i still have it and never intend to sell it.

mikesufka and TheMayor like this.
  8. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    When I found a blue one...

mikesufka and 05F430F1 like this.
  9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I had just bought an Aston V8 Vantage Nurburgring Edition in Lightning Silver….but it felt too slow.
    After 3 months, traded it for a 430 spider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikesufka likes this.
  10. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #35 Frank_C, Jun 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
    2004. I had bought my wife a Jag XK8 for her 40th so I decided to buy me a Ferrari for mine.

Well, that was during the good ol' days. When you had to blow someone to be allowed to buy a used car off the lot in order to granted the privilege to wait 3-5 years for a new car or pay $50 over for a flipped 360. I was looking at 575 which was not in such high demand and not as long a wait.

Went into the one dealership and true to form I was ignored. At the time there was a defined geographic area for dealerships. Fortunately, my business address put me in another zone. Same place I bought the Jag so I called and put down my $25 while I waited 6 mo for the ticket. Was looking at colors on the computer and liked Grigio Ingrid, but wife and kids wanted a 360 spider as the proverbial 575 "don't like it, looks like a corvette......"

So I found a flipped spider with 27 mi on it (kept it for 12 years) and let the $25 ride for the 575 replacement. And then got my revenge on my family and bought a Vanquish S. Once I saw the 599, which I absolutely hated I got my deposit back.

11. BDM348

BDM348 Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 14, 2020
    Plymouth, Mi
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I’ve wanted a Ferrari since I was 9 (in 1984). Winter of 2020 I bought my first one, a 360 spider. A year later added my 355 GTS, then when my 360 was totaled a year later, I picked up my 458. No regrets, they are all awesome cars to enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I had been lusting after Ferraris since I was a kid. Kirk White was a neighbor when I was in my teens, and he was always driving by in some slightly used Ferrari, but his Dino was the one that killed me.

So in 2003 I just said, "**** it." Went to see Bob Segal at Algar, told him what I wanted, and he laughed at me. About a week later he called me and said, "GOT ONE, GET UP HERE RIGHT NOW, I'll GIVE YOU UNTIL THE END OF THE DAY, THEN I'M CALLING THE OTHER 20 PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A DINO."

I went, I saw, I bought. Took me like 3 minutes to work out the deal with Bob. One year later, after an extended stay in Algar's shop, I drove it home. Could I afford it? Yes. I paid cash, I've always told myself I wouldn't do it any other way for any high end toy, but would I have pulled the trigger and financed it if I had to? HELL YES.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Same for the second one. Went, talked for three minutes, took a test drive, bought it. Used, of course.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Want one? Don't need to eat Ramen noodles to afford it? GO!!

D

LE06 and kestrou like this.
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Great question from the OP.

I always wanted a Ferrari aince I was a kid - didn’t we all - but for most of my working life it was as likely as being able to slide down Saturn’s rings so didn’t give it any thought.

In the early 2010s things went well financially for me. I didn’t have enough wealth to be able to justify depreciation on new Ferraris, but classics and modern classics were going up. So when I had enough in the bank to buy a Ferrari (cash) and to cater for maintenance (I figured on £10k per Ferrari per year), I pulled the trigger in 2014.

Actually wanted a 550 but a friend tipped me off on a Testarossa, which I sold for a profit. Then bought a 550, manual 575, F512M and manual 430 in quick succession. All under the same principles as above - cash, enough consideration for maintenance.

Having the Ferraris definitely changed my life, I guess like an art person buying a Picasso.

it was a nail biting decision, quite unlike buying another car - I had had maybe 10 Porsches before then, and no issues.

Owning Ferraris is just as exciting as I thought it would be. But, I don’t regret waiting, in my case til I was 45. It would have been the wrong decision to make and super stressful if I had stretched myself to buy one with no buffer for maintenance any earlier. The idea of something major going wrong (which has not happened yet to mine, but always could) and not having the resource to pay to fix it, is not attractive.

it’s different if you are a mechanic, but I am not at all technically able.

14. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Honestly, the day I first drove one...an FF at Monterey car week about 13 years ago....got a divorce and bought my gated 360 spider soon after. Had to trade one equity for another I guess...

kestrou likes this.
  15. kestrou

kestrou Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2023
    Danville, IL
    Full Name:
    Kevin E. Stroud
    Good trade, right? :)

Kevin

16. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    The best!!

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Way too many moments. One was in 1999-2000 at Spring valley soliciting VR website work faking a pic with me over a 355 as I if just bought it.
    Another big one was in 2008 to 2009 when I was in front of Whole Foods with every doosh in a Mercedes and BMW. Back then I thought "**** you. If you can be in a nice Merc or BMW.. I can be in a Ferrari." This also went back to senior year in college when some dude was driving a 993 turbo and I said "Nice car!" he responded with "It's my brothers.. he's a doctor". I went and told my GF at the time. "When it's my turn.. I'm buying a Ferrari."

And that time came in October of 2010. :) (OMG that was 14 years ago!!!!)

NYC Fred likes this.
  18. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    About a minute after I drove a gated 360. I was hooked. I was in disbelief that I actually owned one at the time. My dad, who was in his nineties at the time, asked me to bring it over (my parents lived about 90 miles away) so I could take him over to his friend's house to show it off :) That was a good memory and each Ferrari I've owned since has had it's own story. It's just a special car and I feel very fortunate to be able to experience it.

NYC Fred likes this.
  19. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Also when I was 10, I was given a book about Ferraris. In school in maths class that year we learnt how to draw graphs. My first graph was the depreciation curve for new Ferraris. They bottomed out after 10 years old. Fast forward 35 years and I bought a 10 year old Ferrari. Didn't lose a dime. Second one at 10 years old and I'm making money on it.

375+ likes this.
  20. Saron81

Saron81 Rookie

May 9, 2024
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I think I’m there now…I’ve lusted after the 360 since it came out when I was 18 years old. I’m at the point where if I sell some other cars, I could make it affordable to me. The only thing is I’d like to drive one (both a gated manual, and an F1) before I pull the trigger, and there just aren’t many around to test drive. Any suggestions on how to make that happen?

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I was driving past a dealership and they had the price on the windshield of a 355, and it wasnt that much more than i paid for my Viper. I had assumed Ferraris were way out of my league.

So i stopped and bought it on the spot.

imahorse likes this.
  22. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Hooza Goodboi
    Where are you? Find your local Ferrari club chapter and start making friends.

To be honest, though, I never drove either of my Fcars before I bought them.

23. Saron81

Saron81 Rookie

May 9, 2024
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Located in Maryland, and there are none listed for sale within 100 miles or more. Thanks for the suggestion! I’m scared to buy without driving one. A lot of money to be let down, lol.

24. llk

llk Karting

Jan 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lewis Kasowitz
    When I was 8...in 1962

25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name: