When will Ferrari launch a HYBRID? | FerrariChat

When will Ferrari launch a HYBRID?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lomotpk, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lomotpk

lomotpk Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Richard Ward
    The trend is on to use electrical hybrid systems to boost the HP of conventional gas units.

Lexus will soon announce:

"300bhp 3.5-litre V6 mated to a 170bhp electric motor. Offering an astounding 470bhp, the car will feature all-wheel drive and be capable of around 60mpg.

But if you think that sounds impressive, then just wait another 12 months, when Lexus' ultimate hybrid - the LS500 GT - will appear. Combining a 400bhp 5.0-litre V8 with a 200bhp electric motor, the car will offer at least 600bhp and be targeted at the Mercedes S-Class flagship, the S600L."
    -AutoExpress

It is my prediction that by the end of the decade hybrids will be considered the 'performance option' on high end cars. M, AMG, and Audi Sport will take the base car (let's say 300hp gasoline engine) bump the gas engine (330hp?)
    and then ask you 'how much do you want?' whereupon they will then bolt on 100-400hp worth of electric motors to your ride.

Resulting in 400-700hp 'factory' cars.

Apply this to the high end of the market, ferrari et al. and it is not inconceivable that the 612 of 2010 could have 700-900hp (500-600hp V-12 + 2-300hp of electrics).

My money is on AMG offering the first 1000hp unit they seem to be more hp drunk than anyone else at the moment.

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The technology all sounds very exciting. And, yeah, AMG are probably the people to do it.. Although Honda and Lexus seem very gung-ho, so I wouldn't be surprised if it came from Asia.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Never. I don't see ferrari add 500-800 lbs to on of their car on purpose. If they want 1000, adding more cubic inches or a turbo/supercharger will get them there for no more than 50 lbs. Remember these are suposed to be sports cars....I think the makers that are pursuing hybrids are doing it primarily to meet average corporate milage requirements and avoid the taxes for not meeting it. I'm pretty sure Ferrari understands it's hopeless for them.

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Q: "When will Ferrari launch a HYBRID?"

A1: "Luca, come quick, there are pigs flying around outside the factory!"

A2: "Tony, Tony, give it up, we just cannot run an all oval series now that it's frozen over down here."

5. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    LMAO

6. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Hopefuly NEVER!

Ferrari's do not constitute a majority of the cars spewing Mox/Co2 into the air and I predict that any introduction of 'earth friendly' gadgets will be met with great opposition in Ferrari world.

The 'hybrid' is some environmentalists whacko's wet dream. Performance driving is not in their vision.

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    when we see hybrids in f1 racing, then we will see them in ferraris...dont hold your breath....

8. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Never I hope. Although the Cherokee Co. court ordered me to sell the Ferrari and buy a electric hybrid. I said NEVER.

9. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    there going to have to stop building gas burning/internal combustion engines one day though as the worlds gas supply diminshes...

however i think in the near future (20-30 years) all the major gas companys will ban together and create a CHEAP synthetic fuel, with no emmisions... theyll do this because, well they wont have any other supply line, and the middle east will get involved as all there money comes from oil and gas

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    there already is a cheap synthetic fuel. and " they " are not going to let "us" have it, as you said , for some time.

11. jmiles360

jmiles360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    J. Miles
    Hybrids are cool technology, and they have potential adaptation for sports cars, but you have to remember that they add a lot of weight to the car. The only way I can see Ferrari launching a hybrid before the next 20 years is if the weight penality is severly cut down.

Whats next, a Ferrari Diesel?

12. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    I remember watching a show on the Discovery Channel a while back where a Japanese car company was able to produce a hybrid sports car. It had some type of electrical supercharger and it put out 300+hp with over 40mpg. I wish I could remember what show that was.

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    You've got to remember that when you see hybrid hp claims, that is the engine plus the electric motor. So all the energy to run the electric motor is coming from the batteries. With the amount of batteries you can carry in a car, you might get 5-15 minutes before the batteries are completely dead and you lose about 2/3 or the power (1/3-1/2 for the electric motor and part of the gas engine to charge the batteries). A 10 or 15 lbs nitrous tank is probably a better way to go.