When will the SF90 first published test be out? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

When will the SF90 first published test be out?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Igor Ound, Oct 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    SF90 is a much more complicaded car than F8: It will require a long testing and the car is not ready yet: here rumors says deliveries will slip and so the same will happen for the test cars. There are rumors of at least one bad fire. Probably test cars in May-June and deliveries after summer. as they want to deliver only cars that are already fully debugged. The Hybrid tech of this car will be tested for a long time yet, as it will be the future of every Ferrari model and so it must be safe and reliable. All this is unofficial, of course,

ciao

of2worlds, TheF1BOB and jpalmito like this.
  2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Where both AM but particularly MB messed up was they tried to be too different. What needed to happen with the cars was 918/Mac/LAF evo type cars. Similar weight (hard to avoid with hybrids), more power, beautiful, better electric range. Let’s say MB made the AMG ONE with a turbo V8 tuned slightly for a higher redline bc of the electric assistance down low. They make a great V8 and it sounds good. This engine produces 700 hp. The hybrid system goes to all 4 wheels and makes another 300 hp. That’s 1,000 hp, weight of probably 3700 pounds. Car would look good, sound good, be faster than a 918 AND they’d be making and selling them right now.

instead they went with their F1 engine, which is a nightmare to tune to the street and has to be rebuilt every so often. I’m sure running costs will be awful. Forget local mechanics working on your car. Costing them a boatload of money and time.

TheF1BOB and jpalmito like this.
  3. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Too much ego I guess

TheF1BOB and Jo Sta7 like this.
  4. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I'd argue that' where they went right, the valk will probably be the last truly insane na hypercar, an ode to petrol!

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    There 's a good chance that the next LaFerrari will also have a N/A V12.

TheF1BOB and jpalmito like this.
  6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I bet the next Laferrari will be delivered to customers before the Valkyrie !

Dela, mofatmi9, paulchua and 4 others like this.
  7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They don't care and it's a good thing they don't. What's the appeal in more of the same? If a company is going to sell multi million dollar cars, they might as well give people something really unique/special if they really don't care about making much money from it. The One isn't even a blip in Mercedes financials.

From what it looks like, the Valkyrie is a vastly more unique and worthy proposition than any lf/918/p1 will ever be when it comes to 7 figure cars. Those cars aren't even in the same realm of awesomeness and they'll likely be just as weak compared to the One whenever it's finished.

Making "normal" halo cars is nothing special these days IMO. Everyone car do it with little difficulty if they really want to.

I applaud them for what they're doing.

8. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I would personally be surprised if this is the case.
    LaF was ‘hybrid’
    SF90, ostensibly the pinnacle of normal production and just a few years later, is hybrid.
    My crystal ball says the next LaF will be hybrid, if only to win the sad dick-waving HP competition (pardon my language)
    Now, a NA rear-mid V12 icona..? That’s speculation I can get behind. But I believe there will also be a hybrid halo above that.
    it will be fun to see how the future unfolds.

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Of course it will be hybrid. That doesn't preclude a V12!!!

C50 likes this.
  10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

While it might be true, you are talking about 2 different cars. As the SF90 proved, a hybrid V8 with 1000hp is regular production now. Mercedes can still come out with such a car if they want. But what they wanted to do (an Aston) was to break the rules book and i applaud them. Sure the car is more expensive and more difficult to bring to market and it will probably cost more to maintain but the people buying a $3m Mercedes or Aston do not care about maintenance costs. These people have no problem spending $150k on a paint job to be a bit different.

11. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thecadster likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Check out this not-real video, of a not-real car, of non-real workers, rolling off the assembly line in a not-real factory.
    :)

Meanwhile in "Valhalla" land....

But you know, the SF90 is an enigma, "No closer to reality than the Valhalla" I believe is what some people actually said with a straight face?

jpalmito, stavura, F142George and 2 others like this.
  13. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    SF90 reviews will likely start coming out in the next month or two. Cars are starting to make their rounds around the US now.

paulchua likes this.
  14. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    paulchua and F142George like this.
  15. Slicknick

Slicknick Karting

Oct 15, 2019
    Willebroek, Belgium
    Full Name:
    N. Y. Yazgan
    The suspense for the first reviews is killing me, as I guess I cannot wait until this car, and of course Ferrari, silence the doubters.

Don’t know about you guys but I’m starting to get impatient

paulchua and Igor Ound like this.
  16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont think it ever took that long for a new Ferrari to be driven by the press or am i wrong? 10 months already since intro.

17. Slicknick

Slicknick Karting

Oct 15, 2019
    Willebroek, Belgium
    Full Name:
    N. Y. Yazgan
    Maybe LaFerrari took just as long...Must be the hybrid drivetrain that takes way too long to perfect

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    They don't want it will burn or stop during the press tests.

Electric cars have new kind of problems (see Tesla and Porsche) and a small producer like Ferrari has a big task to debug everything: It requires a lot of time.

Ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think part of it has to do with the fact that it debuted when it did. Usually there's about a 4 month wait between launch and press cars. Could it in part be as simple as Ferrari wanting to get the press cars out for spring, rather than fall or winter?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I suspect Ferrari presented the car a lot earlier than they use to do because they weren't too sure about the demand it was going to get. It's a new thing, and quite expensive. Remember that they took some time to just announce the price.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed. Had it not been for Universo Ferrari, it would probably just have been a regular Geneva 2020 public debut, and we would not be debating the wait between launch and press reviews.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The private preview at the factory for new models has become a perk for the best clients. The auto show circuit has become much less relevant of late.

Surfah likes this.
  23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Very tricky business setting the price. Too low and you hurt yourself. Too high and you really hurt yourself. Same as the porridge it has to be 'just right'.

LVP488 likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Unfortunately, the first round of tests will not allow instrumentation, so the review will largely be qualitative in nature, you'll have to wait late in the year for any hope of numbers.

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I think they did id early because they wanted the customer's deposits too…

ciao