When will the SF90 first published test be out? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

When will the SF90 first published test be out?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Igor Ound, Oct 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Eeexactamundo.

If the car was going to be a slow seller, better start piling the deposits earlier.

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    quote from Forbes review:

It’s almost German in the way it behaves, rather than Italian, in sacrificing flair for speed.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Impressive review. I’m sure this car will dominate short laps.

5. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Wow
    That is a wildly favorable review.
    No criticism, save the German comparison.
    Kind of a bummer one cannot just start up with the ICE for a whiff of nostalgic drama. I wonder if the Exhaust will have valves that open and close similar to current models.
    previously, SF90 was supposed to be available at the pilota classes. Does anyone know if this is still the case?
    As more reviews come out, we will see if everyone is as uniformly glowing in their assessment. I imagine the journos will tread lightly to avoid raising the ire of the mothership.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There’s some good videos being posted on German Car Forum. The 0-200 kph time looks epic. I timed about 6 seconds.

7. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    #82 C50, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Another one
    The factory has released the press to publish. Many more to come.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a32972782/the-ferrari-sf90-stradale-is-ridiculously-easy-to-drive/

‘Thumbing the starter button just inside the famous Ferrari factory gates, there’s no sign of the V-8. The SF90 defaults to the new e-manettino’s Hybrid mode at start, which means fire up this Ferrari and the only music exiting the tailpipes is John Cage’s sound-free 4’33”.Inside the car there’s brief, faint zizz, like someone trying to tune a 1950s radio, and that’s it.’

and another:
    https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/ferrari-sf90-stradale-2020-review-124902

Igor Ound and Maggio23 like this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  9. 7ven11ven

7ven11ven Rookie

Jan 25, 2020
    DFW
    Full Name:
    JASON M
    Saw the car in Austin at the reveal. Looks like the motor almost sits on the ground looking through the rear hatch. Beautiful car. Got a couple friends with them in order. Can’t wait to see it on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Thecadster, stavura and Maggio23 like this.
  10. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I had the same thought: it wouldn’t be out of place in the next Alien flick.
    It was a conscious decision on their part.
    I would love to see the alternatives that didn’t make the cut, likely just plastic shrouds of different configurations.

paulchua likes this.
  11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Uh, nice "power unit." (it IS in there somewhere, right??)

12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I thought the rear was a mess and the weight of the car will kill the handling. Sounds like Ferrari have pulled out a winner though, assuming it is reliable.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    good reviews, it's basically a cheaper La Ferrari in terms of experience it seems - wonder if it will actually devalue the La ?

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don’t think there’s much to the LaFerrari similarly other than both electric. It’s totally different.

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    This was one of the configurations considered when finalising the LaF but customers pushed for the big V12 and Rwd

16. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    similiar horsepower / similiar laptimes / (imo) similar styling / both hybrids

17. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I remember this question from when the 599GTO came out, and people wondered the same about the Enzo. The GTO was officially 1s faster at Fiorano if I remember, a little but like the situation with SF90 vs LaFerrari today. The GTO was a limited edition vs SF90 a production car as well. I think 10 years on, Enzo seems to have not been in the shadow of the 599GTO, in my opinion. The prices reflect that. I expect the same to happen here.

Separately, LaFerrari might fall further vs the other hypercars because of the $200k kers battery replacement facing many cars now or quite soon.

18. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Has anyone yet identified cost of replacement kers battery for SF90?

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Makuono and Maggio23 like this.
  20. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I think you may need to wait until the cars start to go out of warranty before a real replacement price is known. That I think was the case with laferrari.

Even though capacity and price may not be closely related, the laferrari battery is 2.3kwh, the SF90 one is more than 3x at 7.9kwh. Now sometimes old technology costs more than (better) new tech, but with Ferrari, I'd guess they'd sell it for whatever they could get away with, which given the SF90's price and likely depreciation, is going to be a lot less than the $200k for the laferrari part

21. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    What is going to be interesting is to see if 3rd party replacements become available at both 7.9Kwh (but lighter) or higher capacity (at a similar weight) and if the electronics and systems will be able to deal with it or need the equivalent of an ECU re-mapping.

22. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I think (but I don't know for sure) that there is some proprietary electronics inside the laferrari battery which allows the car to identify it as an OEM battery. Apart from ticking the safety box, it will keep the accountants at Maranello happy since only the overpriced OEM item will work.

If this is the case, I expect something similar in the sf90.

23. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I understand what you're saying for sure but imo the Enzo distingushes itself a lot from the 599 in it's relatively wild design

maybe I'm getting older now but to me the La Ferrari looks very similar to the sf90

BarryK likes this.