When you have to drive an automatic... | FerrariChat

When you have to drive an automatic...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mikael-F360, Mar 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you feel like this guy? Does an automatic tranny gross you out?

1. Oh yes I do very much. I gotta have the stick.

40.6%
  2. Almost. Paddle-shifter is acceptable. But not full automatic!

59.4%
  1. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Can you relate to this feeling?

I can. See this before it blows up super viral :D

And vote above! Thanks and remember to turn your sense of humour "ON."

2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    For me, manuals are required for sports cars, paddle shift is fine for GT's, and automatics are okay for daily drivers (Non Ferrari).

hannibal0815, dallastide and Enzojr like this.
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    LOL... yup. That sums it up!

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  4. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Sit in rush hour traffic in your manual and tell me if you still feel that way. Manual cars are cool for early morning or empty road drives but no thank you to stop and go traffic in one.

killer58 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I do it daily, in Atlanta.

If everyone drove manuals, we'd all pace each other, and not run up everyone elses behinds like a bunch of d-bags. Traffic would actually be better.

Of course when you pace in atlanta to not stop and go, the person behind you goes crazy, no matter what lane you're in. I've been in the right lane, and passed to the right on the shoulder for just that one spot. The passer then nearly smashed into the car which was stopped.

sjd
    here's a joke: Q: Why do you signal to change lanes in Atlanta? A: To tell the guy behind you to speed up and block the maneuver!

Viperjoe, LorenzoOO and nicholasn like this.
  6. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #6 davidoloan, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    In Europe until the latest generation nearly everybody learned in a manual. And nobody ever thought twice about sore knees or the stress of it all in traffic. I would even say a manual is quite enjoyable in traffic, at least a little something to do.

Having said that many luxury cars suit an auto and they are very nice. Nearly all sports cars I would prefer manual. Paddles not so much.

7. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Thats the thing, I drive either a manual or auto but i use it either and plan ahead.

I used my manual m5 yesterday in dallas (no traffic)and i love it hauling the family. I wish i can drive it daily but If i drive it in traffic or going short drives, i wont like it.

So I have my other autos for those uneventful drives.

I learned thru the years, drive a car where it will excell and you wont part with it.

Thats why I have more than 3 cars, which supposedly should be enough for a family.

If you have only one car and its a manual, then it will be a love hate relationship.

8. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    #8 bart12, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    for a short time, I had a garage that did not have a stick. That was when I was stupid enough to trade my 997.2 C4S, my only manual then, to my F430. It was a mistake, and i still have not forgiven myself. Not that I didnt like my F430, but trading my manual 911 to a flappy paddle and it felt different. I also loved that 997 c4s and i traded it just because the ferrari needs to be ingarage(!) and i ran out of space. After that, the rule is no trading just because of space. Now I rent too.

Dont get me wrong, i loved my f430, and without that experience, I wouldnt still be here at fchat. But a garage without a manual car, is like all my cars are ladies cars coz my wife can drive it.

So now, I have more manuals than auto. And its a rule than an exception to buy a manual.
    If I were to buy an auto is to just let my wife drive it and for grocery shopping. She drives a manual but will get the keys of autos first.

I LOVE IT.

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  9. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I use the Tollway and vroom!

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Ok I may be the exception here but here goes. I learned on and drove manual cars for years. Now I'd rather drive an automatic. The F1 transmission is an acceptable replacement. I drive my
    Cars in all situations and other then occasionally a manual is a PITA. I had plenty of enjoyment in my younger years rowing the gears. Now I just want to drive around and check out the scenery.

Viperjoe and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  11. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Its a phase. Midlife crisis maybe. You will be back craving for a manual. Trust me, ive bern there.

12. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I can understand that. I had a 456M GTA for five and a half years and took it on two epic road trips in that time (And a few shorter ones). It was a fantastic car for touring, and with the automatic, getting stuck in the occasional traffic jam was a nonevent. But, in the end, I sold it because there just wasn't enough involvement, and got a manual 360. Yes, it's no replacement for a 2+2 GT, and that's why I'm planning to get a 612 or an FF. I'm fine with a paddle shift with an automatic option for a GT, and all my DD's have autos, but for me a real sports car has a manual. I'm taking it on short drives most days now, and have gotten pretty good with the manual again.

13. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Honestly it's probably the manual vehicles I have to drive I hate. Doesn't help that there are only 2 of us in the company that know how to drive a manual. Also I took a trip to Branson in our manual 350z we had at the time and fraking hated it. Have rented the California several times in Vegas and we were in love. Some of the best road trips we've had were in that rented Cali. And to be quite honest only manually shifted the car once and found myself forgetting to shift looking around as I was driving. And it's true I've been focused on GT cars, and the 2 we really liked were the California and the Maserati Granturismo.

14. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I drive manuals 2-3days a week, then rest AUTOS. I cant drive either daily, Ill be sick.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #15 I'm 360 Canuck, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Can’t relate.
    In fact I think it’s imbecilic to make such broad generalizations. there’s a time and place to indulge your boy-racer fantasies. Horses for courses.
    I’ve lived and commuted daily in a major urban centre where rush hour speeds are best measured in minutes per city block, and hated all the clutch work required to inch up a few feet at a time for an hour or more, daily. There’s no joy in that.

Now that I live in a suburb, working most days from home, with mostly highway driving, I can enjoy a manual trans. and both my DD and Ferrari are. But if I moved back to the downtown, I would immediately hunt out an automatic, preferably electric.
    Automatics today aren’t the power robbing slush boxes America sold in the 70’s.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    My current DD is a manual. Never again! Anytime I sit in traffic in NJ/NYC, I regret my decision (so essentially every day). Manuals are fun for cars you're driving from Point A to Point A (or to events, etc.). Also, I don't consider manual make or break for a sports car, though some cars should be stick in my opinion. When you're driving a Speciale, the last thing you're thinking is "this car really needs a manual transmission."

I'm 360 Canuck and bart12 like this.
  17. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Unless I am grocery shopping or going to a car wash, you wont see me driving an AUTO in the weekend. All my manuals I hand wash it myself. They dont go thru a conveyor.

If you look at my SIG, those cars are screaming at me to drive them in the weekend.

18. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I lived in NJ/NY, and I did not even own a car. I mostly use the train. I rent or use a taxi if I needed to go long trips.

19. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Not to derail, but how do you compare your 997ttM to your 360M? I had to decide between the two(as well as a Gallardo) and sometimes wonder what I gained/missed out on.

20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I did that for a while when I lived in Hoboken, but I was in a band and we had a lot of gear to move around. So I got an old Chevy pickup with a fiberglass shell over the bed. It was actually quite nice in NYC. Not many full sized pickups there, at least not back in the eighties.

21. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I love these 2 cars, and they are quite different.

997TT is the best GT long tourer sports car I have owned. This has been mt 3rd 997 TT, going on another one(getting a 997 TTS PDK for wifey). I only drive it highway and after shifting in 6th gear, I just hang on the steering wheel and press gas for that 500 NM of torque. Never needed to downshift. In 6th gear, 60-80 mph is 1 second. ONE SECOND. They are not a screamer like the ferrari but would smoke my 360 easy. Its comfortable. Does 25 mpg. Easy maintenance, I do it myself. German made quality, the best out there.

My 360, it smells italian leather all day. Its comfortable, you dont have to worry about those Overrev meters like on a TT. It screams! Its a good tourer but without a cruise control, after 40 miles, you feel a little tired. Its a HOTROD. It can compare with the engine sound, sounds like my RS. RS sounds timid.
    Looks is where the 360 of course beats any 911. Quality, it seems like my 04 360 is from the 90s compared to a 997. Quality is not something I hold ferrari to high regard, not even my Speciale. They feel like poor plastic and paint gets chipped easily.

But both compliment each for their own deficiencies.

I'm 360 Canuck and G. Pepper like this.
  22. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    We lived in dump in jersey city. I mean my house is a dump, not jersey city itself.;)

G. Pepper likes this.
  23. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    We were nearly neighbors! I liked Hoboken, actually. Lived in a second story walkup that was the entire floor along with three roommates. Good times.

bart12 likes this.
  24. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I was 100% anti-automatic, and never owned one, until I started having to do this. Bought my Fusion for work and haven't looked back since. Started out driving my Crossfire and it was hell and I swear I could smell my clutch.

To Mikael,sorry, I just can't bring myself to click on "I gotta have the stick"

25. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I cant blame you. When I was young and only had one car, my car where all manuals and I would swear everytime in traffic, which is everyday. Thats why Ive learned, if I expect traffic, no manual. Dont hit yourself in the head by doing that, youve worked too hard already, then you will have to work harder driving back home.

tboniello and G. Pepper like this.