Where are all the PF Coupes ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Where are all the PF Coupes ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Nov 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Is there a difference in value between Series I and Series II? There are less of the Series I however the Series II has the advantages of disc brakes, outside plug. The value guides never show a distinction.

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Series I cars command a premium. Collectors want drum brakes and inside plugs. Not sure what the current dollar amount of the premium is. Wayne?

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Collectors prefer series I cars, drivers prefer series II but there haven't been enough of these cars for sale in recent years (notice the title of this thread) to do a realistic comparison between the two as far as values are concerned.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Heh. Now there's a thought. Can a 550 drivetrain be shoehorned in there? You'd be smoking the narrow rears through every gear :D

5. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Well the old PF coupe that came from Japan is now silver with a red interior with new tires and a new headliner. And NOT FOR SALE !!!

Was six months ago in the low 60's, oh well

Back to the drawing board

Tom Shaughnessy
    Ferrari Parts and Sales
    San Clemente CA

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Tillman,

My thought was either a 330 or a 400 (carb) motor + 5 speed for power and trans. Not yet sure of the suspension but it would have to have wide Borranis tubed into the stock body (keep the track and look somewhat stock). Use a SII cab hood with a cold air box. Paint it black with a red interior.

Not cheap to do nor a good investment, but a neat way to bring back a dead Ferrari that should be fun to drive.

Regards,

Art S.

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    The Series II car is very similar to the 250GTE, in that it has the higher compression outside plug motor, an electric overdrive, disc brakes and 15-inch wheels which translate to better cornering. The PF does however come with lever shocks as opposed to the GTE's tube shocks. The easiest way to tell the Series I car from the Series II is by observing the location of the side signal. Generally, Series I have their signals on the roof posts and the Series II have them on the front fenders. And, Series I cars wear 16-inch wheels.

I think the attraction to the Series I car is that under the skin it is virtually a TdF, which is why there are more Series I car missing than there are Series II. The Series I cars have served very well as donor cars for keeping the TdF's and the TR's active in vintage racing. A number of Series I cars which have escaped the axe have at least had their drum brakes removed and replaced with disks, some by the well intentioned to improve braking, others by spares dealers to sell to the early 250 racers.